Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Luet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm

I can only imagine one Trivial Pursuit wedge set-up that would result in it not being symmetrical: Wedge, empty, wedge, wedge, empty, empty.

Are there others?
Well, when you have two wedges, lots of people just put them in next to each other rather than opposite each other. If you want to do it symmetrically, you have to keep rearranging them as you add each wedge. You can do two, three, and four symmetrically but not one or five.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:23 pm

The unexpected popping up on mutual friends' updates on Facebook of people who de-friended you or whom you de-friended. Makes it hard to get a clean break when they haven't really gone anywhere. Kind of painful in some cases.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Irrational irritation: people who watch the movie before they read the book (BTW none of my friends now fall into this category due to incessant bugging)
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Irrational Irritation: GIMP

I was thisclose to being done with something and I have no idea what I hit but it wouldn't let me undo it and now I probably have to start over again since I'm not sure there's an easy work-around.

ETA: Nevermind. zero helped me undo it. Still irrational levels of irritated with GIMP.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:50 pm

II: When people carelessly cut the leaves off strawberries and remove a bunch of strawberry too.
GP: Eating the poor, abandoned strawberry bits.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:50 am

II: When people carelessly cut the leaves off strawberries and remove a bunch of strawberry too.
GP: Eating the poor, abandoned strawberry bits.
It's so hard to get gross leaves out without sacrificing some berry! :cry:
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 am

We just eat the strawberry without cutting it, allowing us to get as close or stay as far from the leaves as possible.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:43 pm

guilty pleasure: staying up way past bedtime online

irrational irritation: getting up the next morning
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:47 pm

Exactly, Alea! The stem and leaves are the convenient handle which allow your hands to remain as un-sticky as possible!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm

I cut tops off when prepping for cooking. Otherwise, I eat off the leaves. And I usually nibble the tasty bits off the leaves when I prep for cooking. My kids love grabbing their little cutting board and safe knife and cutting the tops off to eat them. I think they are crazy! (But cute.)

My Irritation: "Adorbs"

I seriously want to punch someone in the face over this new fad "word." If it becomes a permanent part of American speech, I probably will punch someone. Like the person who created "hubby" and "binky."
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:20 pm

I cut tops off when prepping for cooking. Otherwise, I eat off the leaves. And I usually nibble the tasty bits off the leaves when I prep for cooking. My kids love grabbing their little cutting board and safe knife and cutting the tops off to eat them. I think they are crazy! (But cute.)

My Irritation: "Adorbs"

I seriously want to punch someone in the face over this new fad "word." If it becomes a permanent part of American speech, I probably will punch someone. Like the person who created "hubby" and "binky."
I've never heard anyone use "Adorbs", but it would drive me insane. I'm also in the same camp with "Hubby". For some reason I absolutely HATE when people refer to their significant other as "Hubby".

Binky as in a pacifier?
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:42 pm

I've never heard anyone use "Adorbs", but it would drive me insane. I'm also in the same camp with "Hubby". For some reason I absolutely HATE when people refer to their significant other as "Hubby".

Binky as in a pacifier?
Maybe it's just a Colorado thing? But even my journalist friend is using it! Gah!!! I hope, for your sake, it doesn't spread.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates "hubby." I just hate how it sounds. I say "my husband" or refer to him as husbandman.

Binky as in pacifier. I hate it. It annoys me big time! I have no idea why it annoys me so much, but I will always call them pacifiers. I think I AM the only one who feels this way.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:53 pm

I don't know if the term "binky" annoys her per se, but my SIL never uses the term so I feel rather self-conscious when I say it in her presence. Generally, pacifier gets abbreviated to "paci" in their house.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 am

I think "Paci" irritated me a lot more than "binky" but I prefer pacifier.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:31 pm

GP: getting really cool pens highlighters and pencils for school so I can doodle in my notebook
II: the fact that everyone at school them "borrows" my stuff

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:28 am

Growing up, we never knew them as pacifiers - they were soothers. Which in my house, was "oodies".

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 am

I cannot get the stupid "Baby Signing Time" songs out of my head from the DVD we borrowed from the library. Oh my God. "Please, Thank You, Sorry" alternating with "Here I Go!" and occasionally, "One Sock."

*whimper*

Been stuck in my head for three days straight. I go to sleep with them in my head, I wake up with them in my head.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Irrational Irritation: Constantly happy, Little Miss Sunshine, Marcia Brady types. Whenever I interact with them and I've reached my threshold of unsolicited optimism and advice, I really just want to yell at them to go f*** themselves. Appropriate for the other thread, my personal triumph is that I don't.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon May 30, 2016 12:15 pm

Irrational Irritation: I was going to start a thread and give it a sub-title when I realized that it was gone again. zero insists it's been gone for a very long time but I told that jerkface that it was brought back around the time the movie was due to come out because we were making changes then.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:00 pm

I don't have anything against people who Play Pokemon Go. I think its a cool concept, has several benefits for both kids and adults(social; mental health; etc..), and probably a relatively fun game.

Nonetheless, my Guilty Pleasure is making fun of my friends who play it. Mercilessly. Whenever I get the chance. But honestly, I would go on a "Poke-date" just for a good story. "Yeah...we walked around catching Pokemon." "What's the girls name?" "I forget, I was too busy catching Pokemon. Can't get distracted by names when you're trying to be the very best that no one ever was..."
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:10 pm

I'm trying to make sense of this pokeman stuff, kinda strange to me

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:30 pm

On one hand I haven't been able to play because I have a Window's phone, and it's kind of bumming me out (a lot!). On the other hand my Mom is actually out walking the neighborhood catching Pokemon... I'll support anything that gets her out of her chair!

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:54 pm

On one hand I haven't been able to play because I have a Window's phone, and it's kind of bumming me out (a lot!). On the other hand my Mom is actually out walking the neighborhood catching Pokemon... I'll support anything that gets her out of her chair!
Yeah, exactly. Pokemon GO is a great game for people with enough free time who need the extra incentive to go outside. And, it also provides an opportunity for them to socialize and make friends. Of course, there's also the potential for traveling to too isolated an area and being robbed, and all the other potential errors of wandering around as someone too young or too elderly.

But, who is Pokemon Go not good for? New teen drivers natural faulty in their logic and priorities who may be trying to catch these Pokemon while driving/drivers in general. Also, none of my friends have used it to battle pokemon/other people(apparently you can only battle gyms? But you have to level up?), and I think that was the the funnest part of Pokemon! But hey, I guess its inspiring a new generation.

Personally, I think they should have made it a Digimon game. That actually makes more sense in connection with the concept of Digimon. Also, Digimon > Pokemon anyday....

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Also, Digimon > Pokemon anyday....
Now them's fightin' words!

Honestly I never got into Digimon, they were always known as the knock off version of Pokemon around here at that age.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:17 am

Julie just mentioned that sombody was hit n killed on the road playing pokeman! Not herabouts

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:07 pm

I liked the digimon anime when it was in the Saturday morning line-up, though I think kid me mostly watched for digi-volve sequences and that catchy song. I don't know if there were any digimon games, but I also only played the original red/blue pokemon and never got into its anime.
The enemy's fly is down.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:03 pm

Also, Digimon > Pokemon anyday....
Now them's fightin' words!

Honestly I never got into Digimon, they were always known as the knock off version of Pokemon around here at that age.
Yeah, what fools we were when we were young. But, I'm not sure if Digimon had a game or playing cards, so I guess its not our faults we didn't pick up on the better series.
I liked the digimon anime when it was in the Saturday morning line-up, though I think kid me mostly watched for digi-volve sequences and that catchy song. I don't know if there were any digimon games, but I also only played the original red/blue pokemon and never got into its anime.
Likewise. The digimon anime was the main reason I woke up Saturday mornings, for the period that the anime ran. Nonetheless, never heard of Digimon games and I loved the original Pokemon games, as well as the anime.

I know Pokemon Go likely isn't worrying about money, but it seems to me that they could cash in on companies trying to use the game to attract customers, by offering to set up gyms at a cost. Charge high prices. Sell your soul Pokemon Go.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Pokemon > Digimon. That is all.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Syphon, I'm happy to see you! But then you ruin it by saying something that's precariously close to blasphemy....

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:31 pm

:love:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:22 pm

Irritation: People thinking just anyone can walk into a library and do the job. I'm not saying everyone needs to have the degree to do it but I am saying that not everyone is cut out to do the job and most people have no clue what it is librarians do, anyway, which makes it all the more insulting.

(I'm hiring again, so I'm going to be getting applications from people who think they can just walk in off the street and do what we do.)

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:10 pm

I saw your post on FB the other day and shared it with a group that contains several librarians and MLS students. I doubt any of them are in the Chicago area, but maybe it'll work its way through the grapevine. :)
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:33 pm

:mrgreen:

Thanks! It's pretty difficult to land a FT librarian position most places, so people tend to be willing to move for a job if it's a good fit. They may not apply but it doesn't hurt to look!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Scented things! (Irritation, not love.) All of a sudden, everyone in my office feels the need to have a scent diffuser! I get the worst headaches and my eyes start watering. Donny can't even burn scented candles in the kitchen in the middle of the night, I'll wake up with a screaming headache and they don't even SMELL good to me anymore, they smell metallic somehow. And I just feel like the world needs to make peace with air not smelling like spearmint or sugar cookies or whatever!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:22 pm