Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:17 pm

For some irrational reason, the term "we're pregnant" really annoys me. I understand why people use it--it takes two to tango after all, and it's a wonderful thing to have both partners so committed. But there is only person pregnant. You both can be having a baby, but the woman gets dibs on the pregnant status.

No offense to anyone who uses that terminology or anything. It is irrational of me, I know.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:45 am

From my experience, most people who are not pregnant or currently anywhere near being pregnant hate that phrase and find it cutesy. Similar to baby talk!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:00 pm

The stupid Aleve commercials that make me want to drive a fork in my ears nearly as much as the kit-kat commercials. The ones with the disgusting exaggerated gulping sound they repeat over and over. *shudder*
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:49 pm

This probably belongs in the "Things that remind you of PWebbers" but I think of Kirsten almost daily when the guy in the next cube over eats. HOLY CRAP that dude has lips. I've seen them. He just has no idea how to use them. Most of us eat at our desks, so it's becoming a daily "find the headphones and blast the music so I don't fly off in a blind rage and murder someone" fest between about noon and one every day.
Last edited by Noodle on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:43 am

Irrational Irritation: Going to my bookmarks when I randomly think of something I want to check up on, only to realize I lost my 3 years' worth of bookmarks in the Great Crash of 2012.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:00 am

Irrational Irritation: Going to my bookmarks when I randomly think of something I want to check up on, only to realize I lost my 3 years' worth of bookmarks in the Great Crash of 2012.

I use Firefox + XMarks so my bookmarks get synced across all of my computers. I suspect Chrome and Opera have similar features if you want to avoid such a catastrophe in the future.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:08 am

Facebook statuses/shares//memes etc. that tell me to like or share if I love Jesus/hate cancer/am not racist/do not torture puppies for.fun. ESPECIALLY when they add something like, "I bet most of you won't." Yup, you guessed it, because I don't believe in emotionally manipulating people into feeling they have to prove something via a f****** FACEBOOK STATUS.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:32 am

Facebook statuses/shares//memes etc. that tell me to like or share if I love Jesus/hate cancer/am not racist/do not torture puppies for.fun. ESPECIALLY when they add something like, "I bet most of you won't." Yup, you guessed it, because I don't believe in emotionally manipulating people into feeling they have to prove something via a f****** FACEBOOK STATUS.
Yep. Surefire way to ensure I won't share it.

Another irrational irritation: when I see people cycling and they're using the wrong gear. I just want to pull them over, click-click-click, you'll go MUCH faster for the same effort now, good citizen, no need to thank me!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:27 am

:stamp:
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:07 am

Irrational irritation: Barnes and Noble has Bridge to Terabithia in the children's fantasy section. Imagination is not fantasy!
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Guilty pleasures: Freihofer's Cinnamon Mini Donuts. Oh my, when they are fresh, I could almost eat the whole box (but I don't). I don't know what I would do if I moved away and didn't have Freihofer's anymore.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 pm

Guilty pleasure: Kyrstal burgers. I'll be getting some for dinner on my way home tomorrow (we don't have one, strangely, in my college town and that is a good thing for my overall health).

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:02 am

Irritation: My cell phone was acting up, so I took it in and they did a factory reset. Neither of us realized that it would wipe my entire calendar, which I didn't have backed up anywhere in paper form. I now have to call everywhere and find out when my upcoming appointments are. Also, I'm currently annoyed that all the places I need to call (including two whose appts are today) don't open for another two hours.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Irrational irritation: BIC is refusing to say when Les Mis tickets go on sale and TM is saying they're already on sale. Click on that link and it takes you to the calendar of shows, pick one, and they tell you they're not on sale yet.

I tried calling to talk to a human, to see if they at least had a date for it but all you can do is follow the prompts in circles. Bah.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Hey, solved that irritation. Now on to the next!

I get irritated when I end a response to someone with a "So..."

I feel like I should add more than I have to say, so I start with a "So..." before realizing I said everything that needed to be said and I leave it kind of hanging there, which understandably confuses people into thinking I have more to add. I then get to kind of gesture as if I'm grasping at anything even remotely related, all the while looking kind of dumb.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't know how I missed this before, but I am also a "so..."-er. Except mine are generally at the beginning of my responses, not the end. I think I lack alternative story starters.

Today, I am irritated by UPS. Under no circumstances should a cardboard box cost almost $7. Clearly I should have gone to Walmart for that.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:57 pm

Haha this.

Like, what exactly does "liking" it on Facebook actually do? Nothing? Okay then.

EDIT:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 8007_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:05 am

TRULY irrational irritation: That Arizona comes before Arkansas alphabetically. I'm trying to sleep reciting states/capitals in strict alphabetical order instead of the casual order I used to do. I keep wanting to put Arizona last of the.A-group. It has a z,, dammit! Arg.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:33 am

It just wouldn't be AZ if it wasn't irritating someone for no good reason.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Irrational Irritation: The term "tween." Or maybe I just find tweens irritating in general and am channeling it all towards the term.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:23 pm

I have never met a person who enjoys the term tween. Even when I fit the category I referred to myself as a pre-teen or child.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:50 pm

I use it all the time at work and have no issues with using it, though I'm not sure if that's the same as enjoying it.

That term, however, didn't exist, to my knowledge, when I was that age. I didn't hear of it until about 4 years ago.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:36 am

Irrational Irritation:
Not being able to use the chopsticks eficiently against the last of the rice grains.

Guilty Pleasure:
Sticking the chopsticks into the large meatballs instead of trying to seize them properly.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:43 am

I have never met a person who enjoys the term tween. Even when I fit the category I referred to myself as a pre-teen or child.
The term wasn't around when I was a kid, so I HATED "Pre-teen". My mom and I had an ongoing joke where she would call me a pre-teen and I would freak out in horror. I think my hatred of labels began pretty young. I just wanted to be a KID!!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:02 pm

I made a tree for zero. It was a love letter, of sorts. At least, the only kind I'm good at.

That tree took 52 hours of work to draw and then paint.

I asked that it be left up for just one year, even if I wasn't there, because the plan was always to get zero back to it in that time.

I was promised it'd go untouched for just one year.

It was taken down a few days ago.

zero is going back with me next week.

One year is still three months away.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

So.Damn.Annoyed.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm so sorry! And that is a very rational irritation! :(

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:48 pm

They took it down for a board meeting? I pose that as a question because I don't see how it was offensive enough to warrant taking down for a board meeting.

In its place is now the massive white, blank spot on the 18+ foot wall with this new display to the right of where it was:

My tree would not have gotten in the way of that display. They just wanted white space so the focus would be on that display, I guess.

I think I pissed a former coworker off when I said, "Boo. Alright. I suppose I don't need to take the boy there, then."

I didn't mean I wouldn't want to see them outside the library but the whole point of his wanting to visit the library -the one thing he said he wanted to do while in my hometown- was to see the tree.

My mom is going to pick it up to make sure it doesn't get thrown away.

Bah. Still so cranky over this. :grumble:

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:21 pm

Rude! I'm with Nomi--a very rational irritation.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:48 pm

Nom likes me reading Dr Seuss' ABCs book. And it remindS me I'm Canadian every time. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Every single time I read it, I forget and then get to the last page and read "Big Zed, little zed, what begins with zed? A Zizzer-zazzer-zuzz, as you can plainly- DAMMIT!"
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Nom likes me reading Dr Seuss' ABCs book. And it remindS me I'm Canadian every time. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Every single time I read it, I forget and then get to the last page and read "Big Zed, little zed, what begins with zed? A Zizzer-zazzer-zuzz, as you can plainly- DAMMIT!"

Me too!! I say "as I plainly said", but that's kinda lame, I know.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:00 pm

As much as that instance irks me, I do love how rhyme can tell you about the author's language. It always reminds me of Blake's Tiger, "What immortal hand or eye / Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?". I have since seen that same rhyme structure in several other places in the 18th and 19th c., which leads me to believe that it must have rhymed some two hundred years ago.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:28 pm

I seriously never even considered that it was supposed to rhyme, but I've never read the entire poem. I just assumed it was a non-rhyming one.

Boy do I feel foolish.

Row--row.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:59 pm

Ok but what was that changed in pronounciation... symmetry?
... or eye? :evencooler:

(i know, i know, it was symmetry lol)

So, what's the canadian thing in that fragment?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm

In the Dr. Seuss?

They mispronounce z as "zed" instead of the proper way "zee."

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:24 pm

In the Dr. Seuss?

They mispronounce z as "zed" instead of the proper way "zee."
:shock: That's how i pronounce it... (that's why i didn't see anything wrong with it)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”