Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:11 pm

i speed. cop friends basically say that unless the cop is in a bad mood or something, they won't do anything for 9 mph over, and 10 they'll flash you, 11 you're getting stopped.
I've heard that that also has to do with the uncertainty of the radars, so that if you fight a ticket where you were flagged going less than 10 over and you insist that you were at the limit there's a good chance you'll win.

Personally I usually go with the flow of traffic. The major highways around here have a limit of 100kph but if they're not jam packed in the morning or evening rush hour (in which case you're lucky if you get up to 50kph) then people generally do about 120kph.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:29 pm

*double post*

Irrational Irritation: People my age keep getting married and/or having children and/or buying houses...

Stop it! Stop being grown-ups! What's wrong with you?! :x
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:45 pm

I'm a speed limit driver about 66% of the time, and the "standard 5" the rest of the time.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:14 pm

But seriously, complaining that someone goes the speed limit? "Like, always. He always does." I've sped when it was an emergency. Not serious speeding, the "standard" five over. But it was pretty crazy for me.
I tend (or, "tended"; I guess I haven't driven in quite a while now) to just go with the flow of traffic, like neo said. I find driving at the speed limit at all (non-emergency) times a bit strange, but that depends on the area. At certain times of day, I really think it can be nontrivially less safe to be going the speed limit on the highways around the DC area.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:47 am

Personally I usually go with the flow of traffic. The major highways around here have a limit of 100kph but if they're not jam packed in the morning or evening rush hour (in which case you're lucky if you get up to 50kph) then people generally do about 120kph.
This. I get really nervous being tailgated, so I try to keep up with traffic to a certain extent. On city streets I'm much more conservative, due to all the potential hazards.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:44 pm

I generally do the standard 5 (when I'm not dodging deer or stuck behind a tractor). I tend to watch my speed more carefully on the interstate, though, as that's where the state police hang out and they're much more likely to hand out tickets for going even 5 over.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm

I go about 5-9 over on non-highways, and generally around 9 over on highways. I might exceed the 9 to keep up with traffic on certain stretches of the highway where traffic flies. I am happy to say that I haven't gotten pulled over for any reason in at least 8 years or so.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:17 pm

I am happy to say that I haven't gotten pulled over for any reason in at least 8 years or so.
I forgot to mention that I've never been pulled over...

And I'm BLACK!!

I guess driving a crappy car helps. :D
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:13 pm

All the photoshopped pictures of travel locations that people love to pin on pinterest really irritate me. They always post some little tag like "this is SO beautiful! I want to go there someday!" Yes, it is beautiful, but it doesn't really look like that in real life because someone photoshopped the crap out of it. I've been to some of these places and they are extremely beautiful, but if you go there expecting it to look technicolored like those photos, you're going to terribly disappointed. Which is sad, since these locations should not disappoint. [/rant]
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 pm

I went ahead and restored the color to four somewhat faded photos from the seventies today. Undoubtedly, the producers will want to use the faded ones because they "like the look" which I always think is a stupid way to go about it. It still looks old, it still looks like the seventies, but everything isn't pink now.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:37 am

I'm all about some fixing and restoring of pictures. Just not to the level of these that look like the desktop backgrounds my brother used to dl all the time. Italy DOES NOT look like that! :)

(P.S. I'm secretly in awe of your photo skills!)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:37 pm

I am so annoyed that I didn't feel the earthquake today. Almost everyone else I know felt it but I was driving at the time and I didn't. Boo!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:17 pm

I am irrationally irritated that there are people in the common room tonight. They are people I am not comfortable around and whose space I always feel I'm invading by being around. And I want to go sit in the common room, dangit! Grrr.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm very irritated that someone moved my garden gnome! I stole that thing from the skip myself (okay, Rei had to carry it for me)! I liked it where it was! And I can't go out and move it back myself because it's solid concrete sitting on a slab of solid concrete so I have to wait for Rei to get home.

But while I was out investigating the gnome situation, I picked and ate a handful of blackberries from the bush and it tasted just like childhood camping!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Irrational irritation: Favors; asking for them, not doing them.

Especially because I, even more irrationally, get annoyed when the person I ask doesn't give me a time frame. I wouldn't ask if I could have done it myself and I try to ask well enough in advance to be convenient to the person I'm asking, so can I please get any sort of idea as to when? Indefinite hanging doesn't work for me, even when they're going out of their way to (eventually) help.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:52 am

This is both a pleasure and an irritation: Seeing memes started on 4chan several years ago used by people who have never been to that site - if they've even heard of it - and would most likely be confused and repulsed if they ever did visit.
The enemy's fly is down.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:10 pm

This is both a pleasure and an irritation: Seeing memes started on 4chan several years ago used by people who have never been to that site - if they've even heard of it - and would most likely be confused and repulsed if they ever did visit.
I remember a while back there was some newscaster or something that was tried to be "hip" by attempting a rickroll... I seriously cringed a bit while watching.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:10 am

*Renee and Adam reading Pweb, trying to explain what Pweb is*

Renee: "what's RickRolling"

Adam: "click that link"

Renee: "What's wrong with that? It's an AWESOME song!"
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:52 am

Hilarious!!

*waves to Renee*

Thank you for making our Adam so happy. We like happy Adam.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:36 am

Hi Renee!! I hope you join us on here. We need someone to keep Adam in line! :P

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:23 am

Renee: "What's wrong with that? It's an AWESOME song!"
It IS an awesome song!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:28 am

*trying to explain what Pweb is*
It's awesome, really. That's the gist of it.

*waves to Renee*

Thank you for making our Adam so happy. We like happy Adam.

And this!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:29 pm

As long as she's willing to share him with us. I'd take an active Adam over a happy one, though both would be preferable. :P
The enemy's fly is down.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:24 pm

As long as she's willing to share him with us. I'd take an active Adam over a happy one, though both would be preferable. :P
Hahahaha!!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:01 pm

I get ARCs online and use Adobe Digital Editions to read them. This is cool; I like this a lot.

I cannot use the arrow keys to scroll down and end up clicking my way through using the scroll bar on the side. This is not cool; I do not like this at all. See, it hurts my fingers after a bit. Not any major pain, just a subtle, lingering pain.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:15 pm

I don't even know what that means, Alea.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:33 pm

ARCs are advanced reader copies, so, not the final version but pretty close to it; the publishers push them on people in the position to buy or help promote books. I have the e-book ARCs to a few books and I'm trying to read them on Adobe software made for e-books, only it's not letting me use the keyboard arrow keys to move down the pages. I'm having to mouse over the down arrow of the scroll bar and use the left click every time I want to "turn" a page.

I'm not sure that's any clearer but it's all I've got. :D

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 pm

oh ok.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

3nder
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 3nder » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:16 pm

I remember a while back there was some newscaster or something that was tried to be "hip" by attempting a rickroll... I seriously cringed a bit while watching.
I really loved how seriously Opra took a line from 4chan "We have over 9000 penises and they're all raping your children". My god the things people would think if they actually saw the stuff considered 'bad' on that site, although I haven't seen anything considered 'bad' on that site ever..
Never go to bed angry....
Stay up and plot your revenge.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:01 pm

This image/phrase is everywhere. Only it isn't funny. If you rearragened the letters in OCD to be CDO, you would have Compulsive Disorder Obsessive, and since that is not the correct name, a person who truly had the disorder would be horrified by the scramble and therefore would never make that statement.

I only like humor that make f****** sense.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

3nder
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 3nder » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Irritation: Party's where there are not enough drinks to help me ignore the annoying people who try to make conversation with me.. BYO. Also, f***ing techo music.

Guilty pleasure: Keeping secrets
Never go to bed angry....
Stay up and plot your revenge.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:16 pm

This image/phrase is everywhere. Only it isn't funny. If you rearragened the letters in OCD to be CDO, you would have Compulsive Disorder Obsessive, and since that is not the correct name, a person who truly had the disorder would be horrified by the scramble and therefore would never make that statement.

I only like humor that make f****** sense.
Hahaha, so correct it isn't actually funny.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:21 pm

If you rearragened the letters in OCD to be CDO, you would have Compulsive Disorder Obsessive
The International Organization for Standardization would like a word with you.

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Irrational Irritation: Every time my friend mentions how she and her husband have a regular date night/tickets to something/a vacation without their kid. She has NO IDEA how lucky she is. I have a very limited pool of babysitters and no one to ever take the kids overnight. It makes me so annoyed that she takes it for granted (to the point of whining about how she didn't want to go out on her date)!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:01 pm

(to the point of whining about how she didn't want to go out on her date)!
Wow! It's kind of mean to complain to someone about that. I would be completely irritated!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”