Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:13 am

I'm really glad you guys don't think I'm ridiculous. That means a lot. Even when I AM ridiculous.

*hugs for pweb*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Irrational Irritation: As of this afternoon, the quick links at the top of my gmail no longer include my reader. I have to use the pull down menu and that's just not good enough for me!
My reader is back where it belongs!!!!!!!!!!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Who the hell spells it "hoebag"? It's not a reference to agricultural tools!
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 am

I may have mentioned this before, but I irrationally hate the word "hoody." It's mostly because, for my entire childhood, I wore what were known as "hooded sweatshirts," or "sweatshirts with hoods." They came in various materials, not all of them sweatshirt material, they all had hoods, they were all of varying degrees of comfort.

Then, out of nowhere, probably in '02 somewhere, they were hoodies.

It's a stupid-sounding word and it's stupid and I had it and they will always be hooded sweatshirts.

Also, here's an irrational irritation tied in with a guilty pleasure:

I'm getting irritated that I view Reliant K as a guilty pleasure, because they're one of my favorite bands and Forget and Not Slow Down is a really good album. But I get guilty when listening to them for two reasons: 1) Their music used to be primarily Christian, and I can't listen to Christian music without feeling guilty, and 2) They are eternally tied to Kingdom Hearts due to an AMV-that-wasn't-really-an-AMV-because-it-was-of-video-game-cutscenes done to the tune of "Be My Escape" that made me actually get interested in KH and play them and, let's face it, KH and sequels are about the most guilty-pleasure video games you can get.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:32 am

I may have mentioned this before, but I irrationally hate the word "hoody." It's mostly because, for my entire childhood, I wore what were known as "hooded sweatshirts," or "sweatshirts with hoods." They came in various materials, not all of them sweatshirt material, they all had hoods, they were all of varying degrees of comfort.

It's a stupid-sounding word and it's stupid and I had it and they will always be hooded sweatshirts.
I totally agree. I had never heard the term hoody/hoodie until I met my SIL from California. Though, that was in 1997, so I think the term is from earlier than 2002 in some regions.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 am

Meee too. I grew up with them being called "kangaroo sweaters" because of the pocket in the front.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 am

Maybe it's just because I was really tired, but I couldn't stop laughing over this when I read it last night. Brian laughed, too, so it wasn't just me.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm

On a related funny note, we have a local chain of bowling alleys named HoeBowl. Their mascot is a hobo. Yeah.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Guilty pleasure:
Sims. Simssssssss. Such a freaking awesome timewaster :c
Maplestory. Love me some Maplestory (2d sidescrolling platformer MMO from Korea).
Bridget from Guilty Gear. <3

Irrational irritations: The Fratellis. I got so sick of them soooo fast.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Speaking of hoodies, I really need to invest in a new one. I've had mine for 4 years or so now and I guess I'm unforgiving because this thing is worn and stretched and it's almost starting to get embarrassing.

I have this bad habit of pushing the sleeves up to my elbows when I get too warm but am known to get cold soon thereafter, so it's this constant up and down that wore out the elasticity (there isn't actually any elastic there, it just won't hold its shape around my wrist) long ago.

I have mentioned this before but Fables let me down, so I have to mention it again. "Whoa" would be correct, not "woah." The "Wh" is just like you use in "what". I don't spell "What" as "waht."
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 pm

I may have mentioned this before, but I irrationally hate the word "hoody."
Yeah, I hate when people spell hoodie incorrectly, too!
I don't spell "What" as "waht."
wat
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 pm

I may have mentioned this before, but I irrationally hate the word "hoody."
Yeah, I hate when people spell hoodie incorrectly, too!
I actually spelled it that way at first, then looked back over and got paranoid that it was wrong. I'm not an expert at the spelling of it (see: my post).
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 pm

"Whoa" would be correct, not "woah." The "Wh" is just like you use in "what". I don't spell "What" as "waht."
depends on how you say it. there are times that i say it Whoa. but it is rare... like when i'm on a horse or imitating keanu.

other times i say it more like Wo-ah which is more like me saying wow.

but then if row sounds like it's supposed to, then wow should be said whoa. wow should be spelled waw or wahw.

for the most part it's silly to worry too much about english.
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:33 am

other times i say it more like Wo-ah which is more like me saying wow.
I had no idea anyone would ever say it any other way than the Keanu way. I can't even make out how wo-ah is supposed to sound because your likening it to wow makes me hear it as wow, so it should be spelled as wow. The closest thing I can imagine is still more like "woe-uh" than wow, which would only be a more exaggerated whoa. I guess I can mentally start to hear it another way too but that takes it too close to a cat meow for my comfort.

As for
wat
I still hear that in my head as rhyming with vat, pat, cat, or hat and can't fathom for the life of me how you nerds get "what" out of that.

ETA: I still also would guess next that it was an insult, aimed at women, that is missing a "T" before I'd guess it meant what (had I not been made aware of that already, that is).

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 am

I have this bad habit of pushing the sleeves up to my elbows when I get too warm but am known to get cold soon thereafter, so it's this constant up and down that wore out the elasticity (there isn't actually any elastic there, it just won't hold its shape around my wrist) long ago.
I do this all the time to my cardigans and sweaters. :oops:
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:49 am

Woah is how you stop a horse.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Irrational Irritation: Finding out someone likes a movie that I thought was awful.

Guilty Pleasure: Quickly branding said person an idiot for life.

Joey Lawrence
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Joey Lawrence » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Whoa!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:08 am

Whoa!
late, I know, but <3.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Back info: Tyler goes to school all day Tuesday/Thursday and afternoons on Friday. Because there are so many holidays on Mondays, the MW kids have to go some extra time at the end of the year and the TR class gets a couple of days off this month to help correct the imbalance.

Irrational Irritation: School is canceled tomorrow due to cold and ice. We almost never have snow days in Colorado, because, as a state, we are equipped to handle weather. So why does everyone get off of school on Tyler's special day off? I doesn't seem fair. I feel a little shafted. Which is completely irrational, since he's 5, so he doesn't know the difference and doesn't care.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Irritation: I'm keeping my finger on the pulse that is jobs in Chicago, because I'm not the kind who can say I'll worry about something later and then follow through. Instead, I worry about it until I should start worrying, at which point I just worry harder. ;) I'm looking at all sorts of jobs (all of which I'm unqualified for or possibly overqualified for, OR pay too little for me to live even with the savings I'm taking) but am also looking specifically at library jobs. All of the ones that would enable me to support myself (by paying more than $8/hr for 16 hours a week) require an MLS. Understandable, to a point, but not only do I have experience in the jobs they're posting, I am also irritated that one of the two MLSs in my building is worthless and proof that work ethics are work ethics,and those and intelligence aren't tied in to a degree.

Irrationality: The degree to which this upsets me.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:54 am

Irritation: #$%*ing tourists!

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Couple of things. Not terribly sure they're irrational.

first. repeating songs again and again and again and again.
my wife is OCD. so one of her things is she gets hooked on songs. lately it's like 6 songs. every morning, and even sometimes at night. on repeat. drives me so nuts. almost as nuts as my wife. :roll: incidentally, have you noticed that black eyed peas are an extremely talented band that got super lazy and just started using everyone elses' songs? every song on their new album is by another artist mostly from the 80s. they aren't even covers, they're samples and melodies that have been ripped off from other bands and then the lyrics and beats changed. i suppose that IS an irrational irritation, but it kind of brings me to second: pitch correction. artists these days are just finding new and exciting ways to be less talented. now they don't even have to sing properly. it sounds like crap and it's in pretty much every damn song. what the hell music industry?
Ubernaustrum

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:57 pm

I don't feel any guilt, but fresh sheets are very pleasing.

nothing quite as relaxing as getting into a freshly made bed, ya know? the sheets are crisp and smooth, and personally i love the cold sheet thing. even if i have a chill, i just think it feels good.
Ubernaustrum

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:22 pm

guilty pleasure: watching say yes to the dress and also to watch what not to wear. Im not into weddings in anyway, nor fashion, but it's fun!

irriational irritation: when people think they really think they are good at something when they really actually suck
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:23 pm

For once, I am irrationally irritated with my introversion.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 pm

and brain I couldn't agree more
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Guilty Pleasure: A competitive reality show about marksmanship on the History Channel called Top Shot. It is literally a show where people compete with a variety of weapons to see who has the best aim. Although I don't shoot guns/use weapons personally, I'm all for the right to bear arms. But I have no idea why I find this show as riveting as I do. The slow motion hi-def shots are SO COOL.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:52 am

Irrational Irritation: Chuck from Pushing Daisies. I watched that show for the first time last summer after hearing about it from tons of people. David was away camping for a week, and I just binge-watched the whole thing. I really, really loved it but as the series progressed I became more and more irriated with Chuck. By the finale I pretty much hated her. I thought maybe I was in a weird, funky place or something when I saw it, since I seemed to be the only one who had that reation. But I just recently watched the series again, and whoa does that character get on my nerves! She starts out ok--kind of quirky and fun, but she just gets more and more obnoxious and self-centered as the show goes on, and by the finale I was practically screaming "TOUCH HER, NED! TOUCH HER AGAIN AND BE DONE WITH IT!" at the television.

It's so pointless to waste so much energy on loathing a fiction character but I can't help it. Oooooo she IRKS ME!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Irritation: I posted it in the anger thread, but this:

this keeps happening to me since I moved here. It's like people in this town have never heard of google maps.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:47 pm

pitch correction. artists these days are just finding new and exciting ways to be less talented. now they don't even have to sing properly. it sounds like crap and it's in pretty much every damn song. what the hell music industry?

can't add anything else other than Oh my freaking god thats why no one is like my friend because u don't listen to the 'good' music like Taylor Swift.

Bleh.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:13 am

To be fair, they haven't had to sing properly for nearly a century, now. Although the jazz artists who couldn't sing well (I'm including Satch and other such greats in this, as much as their voices are fun) were usually backed by awesome orchestras or bands.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:42 pm

artists these days are just finding new and exciting ways to be less talented. now they don't even have to sing properly. it sounds like crap

Oh, so you heard Rebecca Black's "Friday," too, then?

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:58 pm

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:00 am

to be fair, she didn't use much if any pitch correction, she just has a terrible voice.

the worst part of the song is actually the lyrics. geeze they are the least inspired words ever put on paper.

i mean
yesterday was thursday, today is friday, tomorrow is saturday and sunday follows that.... seriously?
Ubernaustrum

Return to “Milagre Town Square”