Boycott MySpace

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Do you use MySpace?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:39 pm

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 18

SaintDrogo
Soldier
Soldier

Boycott MySpace

Postby SaintDrogo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:39 pm

I don't know if any of you are patrons of MySpace, and I know this is a strange way to come out of lurk mode, but just in case...

They banned a toddler burn victim's pictures from being posted on a memorial myspace after his death by his parents, labeling them "offensive." This is absolutely disgusting and should not be tolerated. I'm deleting my profile in a week if his isn't back up, and I urge others to think about it, too. It's just freaking wrong, dude, this dead kid's parents wanna put pictures of the time they were told they wouldn't GET with their child, and someone was offended, and had to absolutely get what they wanted and have it removed. MySpace has even threatened to delete the profile if the pictures are posted again.
Here's a link to the article: http://www. mycrimespace. com/2008/08/21/myspace-says-burn-victims-are-offensive/
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
Miles to go before I sleep

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Never used it, never will.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 pm

I think I signed up once years ago to see what the fuss was about. And I didn't get it. So I haven't done anything there since then.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: Boycott MySpace

Postby zeroguy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:03 pm

I found this post to make a little more sense if I just ignore some words:
[...] f any of you are patrons of MySpace, [...] [t]his is absolutely disgusting and should not be tolerated.[...]

Okay, yeah.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

SaintDrogo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SaintDrogo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:03 am

Okay, all cultural snobbery aside, I know SOMEONE on this site has to use it like I do, to talk to family and friends who are far away. You can't be better and smarter than everything, people.

And as for the taking out the words... why, because it's not disgusting and should be tolerated? Screw it. Try spreading a little awareness and people just want to use it as an excuse to stroke their own egos. You all win. You're better than all those poor, idiotic myspace users. But just in case you know one of the trogs who DOES use it, pass on the message. It's not some stupid myspace hoax, either, it's the real deal. Any humans here?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:07 am

I use facebook... sorry.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:13 am

I use facebook and I only check myspace periodically, and will continue to do so.
Any humans here?
No, only robots. Beep. Beep.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:42 am

I use it for one thing: Mobster. Can't get enough of that game. My account was made one day, forgot about it, came back later and dressed it up and then use it only as a glorified e-mail account.

I will say one good thing about it: I reconnected with two cousins of mine through it. I've never known any of my cousins all that well, and so I was glad I managed to find them through that.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:53 pm

My boycott of Myspace started the second I heard about the site. 8)

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:04 pm

You need to target people who actually have friends, Drogo, they tend to use MySpace more.

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 pm

I never use myspace, probably never will and it has nothing to do with this posting or because it is so popular or anything else.

I just do not see a purpose to it, in my world; but I do not care who uses it, even after this incident.

It is their site, they pay for it (granted through advertising); but they pay for it. They should have a right to determine what is posted. The same right that the mods here have the right to censure any one of us.

If Facebook ever had a similar story, then I would not care for the same principle. It is amazing how much you can do if you actually pay for something, even if that is just bandwidth and site up-keep.

I suppose if myspace was not a free service, then things will be different; but it is not.
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:37 pm

Jebus, will you be my friend?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:15 pm

Okay, all cultural snobbery aside, I know SOMEONE on this site has to use it like I do, to talk to family and friends who are far away. You can't be better and smarter than everything, people.
I'm fairly certain those of us making snide remarks are not myspace users... we're already doing what you want, aren't we?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

SaintDrogo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SaintDrogo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:40 pm

In that you're not using it, yes. I was trying to point out that the post was to bring awareness to those that do, not give others a venue to prove how superior they are for not using it. Just wanted someone to care about the poor kid. Didn't want to hear that a bunch of people I don't know are better than that. But, like much of the internet, you have to deal with disappointment and wade through a lot of ego-stroking crap before you connect with someone.

And Olhado... it's thoughts like that that let civil rights get trampled and tyranny continue. Obviously not in this situation, it's not a big deal, but that seems awfully apathetic.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:30 am

I don't recall anyone mentioning their intellectual or cultural superiority as their reason for not using Myspace. You kind of inferred that on your own, and rather quickly too. Could it be that you have some sort of Myspace inferiority complex? :wink:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:52 am

A much more humane and patient response than I originally typed up a few hours ago, neo.

In any case, what you asked for was us not to use MySpace, and got a number of responses stating that it isn't used, whether P-Web agrees with MySpace's decision or not. Frankly, I agree with Olhado's assessment: the kind of people who would be offended by MySpace censoring things probably wouldn't use MySpace in the first place. If you were to bring a child who constantly talks about the fact that their dad is in prison for being suspected of murder to a relative's house, and the relative doesn't wish for the kid to talk about that, you either don't go to that house any more or you stop bringing the kid. It's the relative's house, they can do what they want.

At least, that's my metaphor.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:29 am

Well...it's really a matter of how discreet the parents were. If the pictures were not out in the open (such as within a different section of their pictures, clearly marked with a warning) then MySpace shouldn't have anything to say about it. Or if the account was set to Private, in which case only the people who are friends of the account can view it.

However...if the pictures are public and too easily accessed, then yes: by all means censor it. Think about it like this: if the kid's name is (pulling the name out of thin air here) Trevor and I have a friend named Trevor and I'm searching for him and I come across the pictures because it's their default or whatever...then yeah...that's a violation of my rights as well. I have the rights not to look at burn victims if I don't want to. Or...even still. You put up an arbitrary picture and they click into the pictures...BAM! The picture is RIGHT there.

So (as I said), depending on HOW discreet the parents were depends on what side I take with this.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:27 am

And Olhado... it's thoughts like that that let civil rights get trampled and tyranny continue. Obviously not in this situation, it's not a big deal, but that seems awfully apathetic.
Exactly, in this situation it is not a big deal, let me know when someone cannot get a job or cannot vote or cannot feed their family because of some discriminatory practice and I will be right there.

It is freaking myspace, if you cannot post something on that site go to one of the other hundreds of user posted material sites and try your luck there or start your own site. It is very cheap to do both, especially compared to the pre-Internet cost of organizing.
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:45 am

I remember on the Second PWEB, there was an entire thread devoted to users of PWEB on MySpace. (I won't say who started the thread due to the fact that he may be ostracized on this forum and I tell you, I like Hive_King to much for him too have that fate.) We were all supposed to get to know one another and start our own little cult thingamajigie on MySpace but there were only about fifteen of us actually on that site.

Needless to say, I felt shame and took my down! Joking. I actually took mine down because I grew up.

Too, I think boycotting, while admirable (in some cases) is a waste of time if you don't feel really strongly about the matter. It is much more effective to go through the mayor, governor, or senator to get your point made. Also, trying to acquire signatures is effective, I've heard.

That's it! Why don't you try to acquire signatures to get the profile put back up? Boycotting it, seeing as their are millions and millions and millions of people on there will be like a flea trying to box an elephant who doesn't even know the flea is there.
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:12 am

Never used it, never will.
What EL said.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:04 pm

Jebus, will you be my friend?
You'll have to send in an application like everyone else.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:27 pm

I use myspace. Easy way to stay current and in touch with friends. I can't imagine what's bad about that?

As for this boycott... nah.

SaintDrogo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SaintDrogo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Well, at least some other people cared. MySpace officially apologized and reinstated the pictures. Guess they didn't see anywhere in any Constitution or Bill of Rights of any country that gave people the right to not have to see anything unpleasant.

“MySpace’s image review staff has been trained to be sensitive to graphic images uploaded to our site. After working with the McCombs family and determining the context of these pictures, MySpace has made the decision to reinstate them. Our sympathies are with the McCombs family in this difficult time.”

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:10 am

I am betting all my Yu-gi-oh! cards that you never deleted your MySpace in protest.

SaintDrogo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SaintDrogo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:17 pm

Ooh, better have a foil-edition Dark Magician in there for me! Mine got destroyed last year. I did, in fact, delete it. Re-signed up after hearing the news. Go find fault with something else. And before someone starts up the "myspace is for (other) losers anyway" conversation, it's cheaper than running up cell phone bills to talk to friends and family.

starfox
Launchie
Launchie

Postby starfox » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Guess they didn't see anywhere in any Constitution or Bill of Rights of any country that gave people the right to not have to see anything unpleasant.
Irrelevant. Myspace is a private web site. They have the right to say what you can and cannot do with it.

shadow_8818
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadow_8818 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:13 pm

my space helped me to reconnect with hundreds of old friends so dont badmouth
Daniel- you know speaking in the third person has proven that your crazy.
Rodney- crazy like a fox

Return to “Milagre Town Square”