Writing Help

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Writing Help

Postby hive_king » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Among my time that has been spent not-on-pweb, I've begun to write a story. With any luck, I'd like to be able to submit this story to Analog or Asimov magazine. Now I have a good basis for the story, and a good background, but I have absolutely no idea what to do with the plot, so I beseech you, collective wisdom of the wisest part of the internets, for help.

This is what I have so far. The story is about an average guy, a terraforming engineer named Jasper Townsend. (obviously the story takes place in the far future. I have the background pretty well thought out, but I don't want to bore you with details just yet.) Jasper's terraforming "tractor" has a malfunction with the air scrubbers and he passes out, somehow holding on untill he's recovered. When he wakes up, he tells everyone that he spoke with God and that God has told him to be the next prophet, the successor to Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad (though he's obviously not divine like Jesus). So he sets off as a new era "Prophet of the Spaceways". Past that I haven't gotten that much detail. I've got sketches of a few characters, but nothing's set in stone. I'm not quite sure how to continue the story, so I'm asking you all for advice.

I love sci-fi, I think it's one of the deepest and most interesting brands of literature. I've noticed, though, that religion is very rarely discussed in SF lit. When it is, it's either as an enemy (the Brotherhood Of The Flame in Isaac Asimov's Nightfall), a tool for the story (The Fremen in Dune), or the book is about current religions in some way (Orson Scott Card's Earthfall books. Very few books actually discuss religion and faith as a subject unto itself. Add into this that I've always wondered how a prophet would fare in our modern world, I feel this would be a great story to write and read.

Alright Pweb, your turn.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:20 pm

It sounds like you have a premise, but not a plot.

The easiest and quickest way to get over that hurdle is to ask yourself all the reporter questions. Who, What, When, Where, Why, How. Start out thinking about a bunch of "what ifs..." You need to put your character in a situation and then figure out what it is he'd do in that situation. Or wouldn't do. Or whatever.

How does he go about becoming the next prophet?
What is the public's reaction?
How does he feel about his new responsibility?
Is he truly religious?
What does he hope to achieve?
Do people believe him?
Who or what is opposed to him?
What does this do to his relationship with friends or family?
How is his daily life as a prophet different from his daily life as an engineer?

Those are just some questions. Try answering those or asking some of your own. But the best way to get plot is to ask compelling questions and seek out compelling answers.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Writing Help

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:29 pm

I love sci-fi, I think it's one of the deepest and most interesting brands of literature. I've noticed, though, that religion is very rarely discussed in SF lit. When it is, it's either as an enemy (the Brotherhood Of The Flame in Isaac Asimov's Nightfall), a tool for the story (The Fremen in Dune), or the book is about current religions in some way (Orson Scott Card's Earthfall books. Very few books actually discuss religion and faith as a subject unto itself.
Have you read The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell? Sci Fi and lots of religion and faith. One of my favorites.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:05 pm

Never heard about it. Do tell.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Uh, it's good and you should read it? I'm no good with reviews and such. I know Kelly and Ollie have both read it and I think they liked it. Here it is at Amazon: The Sparrow
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Return to “Milagre Town Square”