Freeman Injured in Accident

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
vendor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby vendor » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:27 pm

I post this only because Morgan Freeman is one of my favorite actors. I hope he recovers swiftly so he can entertain us in more films.

...but paranoia is all I have!!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:37 pm

I wanted to post about another news story but I kind of hate starting threads, so I'll do it here.

Author Alexander Solzhenitsyn dies at 89

I read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich as a teenager and have reread it a few times since and it always touches me deeply.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:59 pm

On the one hand that's awful because by all accounts he's a pretty swell guy.

On the other hand I'm having to resist making a joke about resonance cascades given the title.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:03 pm

On the one hand that's awful because by all accounts he's a pretty swell guy.

On the other hand I'm having to resist making a joke about resonance cascades given the title.
It's sad, because I'd heard about his accident previously, but my first thought reading the title went to Half-Life.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:26 am

I'm assuming this can be a "celebrity bad news" thread now, or something.

Isaac Hayes dead at 65. Creator of the theme from Shaft, and the voice of Chef on South Park; among other things of course, but that's what I know him for.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:47 am

You mean the guy that quit voicing Chef on South Park because he didn't approve of them making fun of the Church of Scientology? The hypocrite whom approved of making fun of every other church but wouldn't allow them to make fun of his (slightly cult-like) religion? Ah well, not loosing much there really.

Would sure be a shame to lose Morgan Freeman though.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:03 am

You mean the guy that quit voicing Chef on South Park because he didn't approve of them making fun of the Church of Scientology? The hypocrite whom approved of making fun of every other church but wouldn't allow them to make fun of his (slightly cult-like) religion? Ah well, not loosing much there really.
Don't be a dick. And if that's all you know Isaac Hayes for you're being an ignorant one at that. I don't know much about the man myself, but if you've even heard the theme song of Shaft you should at least know that the man has made significant contributions to the world of music for decades.

Anyway, I don't recall anyone posting it, but Bernie Mac died this past weekend too. He was 50. Bad week for black entertainers...
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:59 am

Wil: ffs you should look up more information about the man, and specifically involving his leaving South Park. And watch the end of "The Return of Chef" again (or, well, the whole thing really, 'cuz it's funny).
Anyway, I don't recall anyone posting it, but Bernie Mac died this past weekend too. He was 50. Bad week for black entertainers...
Whoa, did not hear this. I'm not the biggest fan of his, but he had some good stuff.... blah, sad.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:15 am

Bernie Mac dies at 50

I know it was already posted here, but here's a link.
I don't know who I'm more sorry for, him or Isaac Hayes.. Both are entertainers I really, really like. May they rest in peace.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:43 am

Aww man, now Bernie Mac I'll miss. That's a shame.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:26 am

There is a fantastic documentary called "Only the Strong Survive" that features Isaac Hayes that is more than worth seeking out. It's about the Nashville soul music that developed in the 50s-60s but it was overshadowed by the other documentary "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" about the detroit sound that developed in the 50s 60s. Critics only bothered to see one, so the latter got all the press, but Only the Strong Survive is definitely the better film.

On that note, both Isaac Hayes and Bernie Mac costar in a new film called Soul Brothers (starring Samuel L Jackson) that comes out this november.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”