Must sees in Toronto?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Must sees in Toronto?

Postby Luet » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:10 pm

I'm going to Toronto for the first time when my sis-in-law comes to visit during the first week in October. It's a 6-7 hour drive, so I'm planning on spending 2 nights there. I'll have parts of two days and one full day. What should I see?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Toronto is a huge city. With as much as there is in and around it (and I am so jealous of you right now, I miss it there...) there's no way to possibly sum up everything there is to do without knowing what kinds of things would truly interest you.

I'm an adrenaline junkie, so Canada's Wonderland (about 30mins north of the city) is a real draw for me. In the city there's the shopping that is Queen Street (stretch of stores) or the Eaton Center, the multicultural life that is the Danforth (stretch of restaurants), the classic that is the CN Tower, politics of Queen's Park, and the natural beauty of the Scarborough Bluffs or the Don Valley. I can't possibly cover it all here (I don't think I've come close to experiencing it all, honestly).

Can you tell I love that city? ;-)
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:48 pm

I know it sounds tourist; but I liked the experience in the CN Tower and if you choose to have dinner there, then you do not have to pay extra to see the city. It is a pricey meal and you should make reservations.

I also think you will like Casa Loma. It is a great piece of Canadian history and I also think you like seeing "Xavier’s School for Gifted Children." :)
But seriously, history is my thing and I really enjoyed hearing about Canadian history.

This brings me to the next thing, which I find worth seeing and this is Fort York. Here too it is interesting reading history and the us [Yankees] being the enemy. It is also interesting to see what Toronto coast use to be.

If you have time, then you might also want to stop in the National museum; but if you are pressed for time, then forget it.

I also found the tour of the brewery interesting, Steam Whistle, not the district; but then again as the Bob readers will know I am a crazy alcoholic. :)

I would also recommend just walking thought different districts and definately sign up for one of the city tour buses first. It is a great way to see the city and if you are there for a few days it is a great use of transportation since it is a hop-on-hop-off bus.

Anyways, I am sure you were looking for advice from a Canadian Pwebber; but I always need to input my 2 sense. :)

If you want to read more about things to do, from my perspective, then visit my journal of the experience here.. Although, most of the photos are not of Toronto; but of the Georgian Bay, a beautiful area; but something that needs to be visited another time. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:29 am

Heehee, "the Georgian Bay." Sure sign of a tourist! ;)

The CN Tower is definitely something to see. But the meal is horrifically overpriced and I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't cost THAT much to go up in the elevator. And if you're brave enough to climb the stairs yourself, I think they let you go up for free.

Casaloma is nice, as is Fort York. You'll see more of Toronto's history than most Torontonians bother with, to be sure. I'd also recommend the Ontario Science Centre, which is a huge interactive, well, science museum. But it's a ton of fun.

Along with Queen Street, which is often higher end, I'd also recommend Kensington Market and/or St. Lawrence Market. They're good for wandering through stalls and looking at pretty stuff and eating interesting food. The food in Kensington, for example, is generally cheaper and more interesting than the bigger eateries on major streets.

If you're looking for good places to eat, I can definitely help with that. :D
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:18 am

Thank you for the tips. The Science Centre sounds great, I love science museums. I just got reservations through hotwire at the Westin Harbour Castle for $84/night, very excited!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby daPyr0x » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:39 am

EL is right. To be totally honest, I've never been to Casa Loma; and I barely remember Fort York. The Science Centre is awesome though, a ton of fun. I even met Bill Nye there once! (on an escalator, but still)

Somehow I knew EL would bring up Kensington...just as much as I knew I'd forget to mention it.

I realize that this probably won't much be your thing, but there is quite the night life in Toronto as well; from cool lounge type bars to the second largest night club in North America. Lots of things to do all day and all night.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:18 am

We liked the CN Tower.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:08 pm

If you have the money, the CN tower is good (as many have mentioned), also the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) is very worth seeing, and the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) if you're into that kind of thing.

If you don't have lots of money to spend, wandering around Chinatown, or Little Italy, or any of the ethnic areas is cool as well - lots of little shops and resturants, there's also the harbour front.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm not much into art museums but we are staying in the harbour front area (I think). So far, I've got the CN Tower, the Science Centre, Kensington Market and if time permits, CasaLoma.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:26 pm

EL is right. To be totally honest, I've never been to Casa Loma; and I barely remember Fort York. The Science Centre is awesome though, a ton of fun. I even met Bill Nye there once! (on an escalator, but still)

Somehow I knew EL would bring up Kensington...just as much as I knew I'd forget to mention it.

I realize that this probably won't much be your thing, but there is quite the night life in Toronto as well; from cool lounge type bars to the second largest night club in North America. Lots of things to do all day and all night.
Yeah, well, it's like the one tourist thing in town I actually know much about.

In terms of night life, there's a really neat jazz club down on King that I enjoy. It's not just drinking - the live music and dance floor are pretty awesome.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:06 pm

Okay, so my trip is this weekend but I have one little problem. My husband and I both have driver's licenses and birth certificates (which it says are needed to drive across the border) but my sis-in-law cannot find ANY of her identification other than her driver's license. How likely is it that they will let us drive into Canada if she doesn't have a passport or birth certificate? I don't want to cancel the trip and want to take the chance if there is a possibility of them letting us through. We already have prepaid hotel reservations for two nights in Toronto. Any experiences/advice would be appreciated!

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:26 pm

Oh Luet, the problem isn't getting in to Canada but it's getting back to the United States!

Canada's Border Crossing:
"Hiyo! Do you need to declare anything?"
Nope!
"Whatcha going to Canada for?"
Vacation to Toronto.
"Okay, have fun!"

Getting Back To United States (taken from Washington/Canada crossing):
*Takes full photo of inside of car*
*Everyone MUST have at LEAST a birth certificate if not another form of ID also*
*Uses mirrors on poles to check under car*
*Bomb sniffing dogs on car*
*Occasionally pulls car over to check the inside*
*Asks personal questions such as where you were born*

So, to sum it up, it is VERY important. She MIGHT be able to get back in with just a license, but as of right now it's hit and miss. Every person I've spoken to who didn't use a Birth Certificate/Passport either had trouble getting back in OR they were told they MUST use a birth certificate next time. I have heard, ironically enough just today, that The Falls crossing is a lot more lax because it's so common for people to wander over to Canada's side for the day, however.

ETA: I forgot to mention that this was a few years ago that I did drive over, and Canada didn't ask for any ID. Getting back in, myself, my mother, my father only had drivers licenses, and my sister had a birth certificate. When we pulled up to the window the guy told us that "The only person we can fully verify re-entry in to the country is your daughter because she has her birth certificate.". They asked my father where he was born. They also mentioned something about only allowing people with a passport back in to the country at some point, but that same person I talked to today also said that they've been pushing that back.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:42 pm

Well, I'd rather have the hassle on the way back so that we're able to get our vacation in Toronto! And I'm counting on her good looks and charm to help smooth things out...they usually do (no, I'm not jealous at all). :roll:

Yeah, the passport requirement has been pushed back to January 1, 2009 at this point.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm really sorry to say, Luet, but I'm pretty sure you need a passport to go across the border these days. At least- if you're Canadian you do- there was a big announcement here in January of this year that you had to have a passport to go to the states.

Maybe it's different for US citizens? I'm not sure.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:55 pm

Not for US citizens...effective 1/2008 passports are required for AIR travel to Canada but at least through 1/2009 passports are not required for land/sea travel to Canada.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:59 pm

I just did some googling (because I was curious :D):

"As of Dec 21, 2007, passport requirements have been once again delayed meaning that US citizens arriving in Canada by land or water do not need a passport until at least summer 2009. "

Also:

"A driver's license on its own or a Social Security Card on its own are not valid ID to cross the Canadian border.

The following pieces of identification will serve as satisfactory proof of American citizenship to enter Canada.

Please note, however, that photocopies of ID must be notarized:

* US passport

OR

* Birth certificate,

OR

* Certificate of citizenship or naturalization,

AND

* Photo ID, such as current driver's license"

But, as I said, even without the two forms of ID they'll just reprimand you for not having them. I think it's kind of silly through because you need two forms of ID to get your license to begin with... and I see no reason why a birth certificate is any more difficult to fake than a license...

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Yeah, that's the same info that I've read. I was just hoping for some recent personal experiences.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Hey Nom, at least in Minnesota, official copies (stamped and signed) of your birth certificate are actually pretty easy to get. I got one at the DMV as a walk-in. She may just check into that.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:40 pm

Well, at this point, she's here in NY so that doesn't help...but she did check in CA before she came and was told it would take 28 weeks to get an official copy of her birth certificate (which she'll need to do at some point). Thanks, though!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:42 am

I've always found it harder to get into Canada than to get back, even post-9/11. Take that anecdotal evidence for what it is. Of the times I've crossed the border, I was only asked for any form of identification twice, and only once did they ask for more than a driver's license (the most recent time, my driver's license sufficed).

Anyway, if she has her social security card, that works just as well as a birth certificate to prove citizenship.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby daPyr0x » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:43 pm

Funny, because not only have I had the opposite experience (getting into the US MUCH harder than Canada)...BUT being a Canadian citizen, I can easily get a US social security card, thus being proof of US citizenship?

I've crossed that border more times than I can count, and it has been easy many times, but not every time. I've never had more than a few questions asked coming in to Canada (more often than not, they don't even ask for my ID); however coming into the US I've been searched, with dogs, twice; and pulled into immigration both times (even when I had a legitimate US work visa).

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:10 am

In September, I will be going to Toronto for the first time for the Toronto film festival. Has anyone ever been to this festival? No one in my group of friends that are going, has been to a film festival of any kind, so we are a little out of our depth.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:35 am

Wow, have fun! The city is MAD during TIFF.

I highly, highly recommend paying a visit to Kensington Market. On Augusta St, about two blocks south of College, there's this place called The Big Fat Burrito. Trust me, the regular size is probably enough. I am SO craving them right now, and I'm stuck out in dreary old BC.

Also call ahead and try to book a meal at Brownstone Bistro on Yonge St (it'll probably be packed for TIFF). They have the best sangria I've found yet!

Let me know what you like to eat, and I can probably direct you to a good (and inexpensive) place for it. The stuff they'll be billing for TIFF as places to eat are stupidly expensive, so ignore them.

Also, when you fly in, don't bother with the shuttle bus. I can tell you how to use the local transit, and it's really really easy.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:10 am

Sweet! It sounded like a really good time. I'm pretty excited.

Sucks that you're not in the area anymore. It would have been my first Pweb meet-up.

I eat almost anything, but there are two very picky eaters in our group. So I doubt we will be able to go out of their comfort zone.

But any advice is much appreciated!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:28 am

I'm a sucker for the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum), which is right in the area of TIFF.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Sucks that you're not in the area anymore.
I know someone who is. :D

That is, unless he got arrested in that riot they had the other day. That would certainly explain why he's been so quiet lately...

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby daPyr0x » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:17 pm

That is, unless he got arrested in that riot they had the other day. That would certainly explain why he's been so quiet lately...
I am so glad to be outside of Toronto when that happened. I definitely would've gotten my ass beaten and arrested just for being a dick 'cause what they were doing was outright wrong...

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:27 pm

I am so glad to be outside of Toronto when that happened. I definitely would've gotten my ass beaten and arrested just for being a dick 'cause what they were doing was outright wrong...
What was happening?
Where does friendship end and love begin?

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:28 pm

G20, dude, G20. Google it.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Googled. Oh...carry on. Man if I lived in Toronto I would have soo...been in that.
Where does friendship end and love begin?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm glad I'm out of the city, too. I always get irritated with large crowds of tourists/strangers/etc. clogging up my streets and bike lanes and eateries. Also, I hate suddenly finding myself in the middle of a protest and/or police retaliation. Ugh.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:26 pm

I don't think that the police did anything wrong on the whole. That is to say that with literally hundreds of people arrested I can't swear that no one was treated more harshly than necessary, but considering what some "protesters" were doing, which included major property damage and endangering lives, I'm on the cops' side.

Also, no one should have found themselves getting caught up in it by accident since the G20 and the security measures that were being taken to protect it have been the biggest thing in the news for weeks. Everyone knew what was happening. There's 'wrong place and wrong time', and then there's looking for trouble.

BTW
Was American news covering this over the weekend? Just curious. (I never bothered to check CNN while it was happening)
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:40 pm

BTW
Was American news covering this over the weekend? Just curious. (I never bothered to check CNN while it was happening)
Yes.

Thread hijack:

For someone who has been to Vancouver before & for someone who hasn't been in 20 years, what are some good things to see and do that aren't the most major/touristy? For Portland? For Los Angeles? And for a city I haven't daytripped, New York? (For ~inspiration~, my favorite place in LA is the Getty or Huntington Library, in Portland Powell's, and in Vancouver the UBC rose garden)

THANK YOU <3

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:00 pm

I've not really been a tourist in Vancouver, but I do love Stanley Park. That is a definite must-see. And I remember liking the aquarium and Science World. And if you're going out of the city, Whistler is supposed to be a lot of fun (we're going tomorrow! I haven't been in soooooooo many years).
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:22 pm

I've not really been a tourist in Vancouver, but I do love Stanley Park. That is a definite must-see. And I remember liking the aquarium and Science World. And if you're going out of the city, Whistler is supposed to be a lot of fun (we're going tomorrow! I haven't been in soooooooo many years).
I love Stanley Park too. I have a couple of weeks to figure out what we're going to do so I think I should be able to come up with stuff my mother will like.

Have fun in Whistler! I don't think we're going this time (we're probably going to do Victoria & Vancouver) but it is so pretty in the summer!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”