Please, Think of the Children!!!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Please, Think of the Children!!!

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:31 pm

That is, before you name them. I applaud This New Zealand Judge for ruling to change idiotic names. Yeah, I know it's the parents' right to name their child, but a kid shouldn't have to suffer because his/her parents are idiots. That goes for spelling common names in some ass-backwards way that dooms the poor kid to a life of having to correct people or see their name misspelled all the time.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

vendor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby vendor » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:08 pm

Yet another way to lose a bet is avoided.
...but paranoia is all I have!!

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Ugh...sometimes I wonder why my parents were thinking. My name is Micah McNully. I have to spell BOTH names to the people on the phone rather than just my last name. If it was one or the other, that'd be fine, but BOTH? Give me a break.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people try and spell my name Micha. Doesn't that look like it'd spell Mee-cha instead of My-cuh? I don't mind Mica so much because it's a type of mineral and I took two semesters of Geology in high school and another two in college. Mika bothers me, too because it looks like it should be pronounced Mee-ka.

Anyway...I agree: parents need to watch it what they name their kids. I'm pretty simple with some of the names I have readily in mind. I've always liked the name Rachel. I don't see any future daughter of mine having to worry about spelling her first name.

My sister...on the other hand...got an easy name to spell like Heather. Grr.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:31 pm

I spell it "Rachael". :P
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:31 pm

I've always kind of wanted to name my kid "Jesus," pronounced Biblically, not Spanish. That way, every time they'd have a new teacher, the first roll call would be awkward.

"Hesuse?"
"Actually, it's... it's Gezus."
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:13 pm

I'm a sucker for great names. I think, for the most part, I'll inflict them on the pets, though.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:19 pm

I've always kind of wanted to name my kid "Jesus," pronounced Biblically, not Spanish. That way, every time they'd have a new teacher, the first roll call would be awkward.

"Hesuse?"
:x

That brings up yet another issue that ticks me off. Don't give your kid a name that's going to mess up their teachers just for the sake of being different. Usually that falls into the category of ass-backwards spelling.

When naming your child, first think of the kid, then think of the kid's future teachers, then feel free to indulge in any insane impulses that won't make life difficult for the aforementioned parties.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:05 am

"Hesuse?"
:x

That brings up yet another issue that ticks me off. Don't give your kid a name that's going to mess up their teachers just for the sake of being different. Usually that falls into the category of ass-backwards spelling.

When naming your child, first think of the kid, then think of the kid's future teachers, then feel free to indulge in any insane impulses that won't make life difficult for the aforementioned parties.
Woah, woah, woah. Then allow me to set the record straight that I have always thought it would be hilarious, but would never actually do that, either to a child, or to a teacher. And not just because of you, neo.

I've always liked good, old fashioned names, when seriously considering what I would like to name my child(ren), should I eventually have one.

Row--row.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:33 am

I spell it "Rachael". :P
If I did that I'd never remember where the second a went.

"Dad, the 'a' isn't after the 'l'."
"Oh, right, sorry."

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:34 am

Ugh...sometimes I wonder why my parents were thinking. My name is Micah McNully. I have to spell BOTH names to the people on the phone rather than just my last name. If it was one or the other, that'd be fine, but BOTH? Give me a break.
I think many people have to spell out their names on the phone. Even with a simple name like Jan, people hear it as "Jen".

I just hate it when people make up their own spellings for names. Extra Y's all over the place. Yuck. If you're going to name your child Ethan, just name him Ethan. Don't name him Ethyn, thinking it's somehow more special.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 am

My name is Micah McNully.
I think somewhere out there, Zero just exploded. You know, with the whole paranoia over privacy and stuff. You just blew his mind.

And Jan, what about common names that have alternate spellings from other cultures/languages? I have always loved the Russian variation of Peter: Pyotr/Piotr. But I'm not having kids so no one will be subjected to it.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:06 am

Oh, I'm totally on board with that - if it's a legit spelling, then it's fine. It's the number of people who spell it differently "just to be different".

There's just a number of people on the various baby boards that I frequent that have the silliest names picked out.

Then again, I'm sure people think Guinevere is weird.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:38 am

I'm Nicole without an H, but every single person who tries to write my name has to include the H. My last name is Devine and people either try to spell it with an I, or pronounce it De Vin, like the boy name.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:57 am

no one can spell my last name, it has twelve letters! :) and two ns at the end cause it's german.

adam and lee are pretty easy though, never have to spell those out.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:05 am

I think somewhere out there, Zero just exploded. You know, with the whole paranoia over privacy and stuff. You just blew his mind.
I think I know the full names of most of the long time members of this board, and I'm pretty sure they know mine.
I have a theory that Zero is secretly either OSC or someone famous. Or his name is John Smith. He's like our own personal Janitor! (from Scrubs)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:17 pm

I didn't know your last name until I had to find it out to mail the gift card to you. :)
Last edited by Luet on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:22 pm

no one can spell my last name, it has twelve letters! :) and two ns at the end cause it's german.
No one can spell my last name, it has a German root, and yet it is a common noun.

Wax.

You'd think it would be easy. Simple. But everyone tries to complicate it. Sometimes I think the original form, "Vachs," would be easier for people to spell, because they expect it to be difficult.

Row--row.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:57 pm

I think I know the full names of most of the long time members of this board, and I'm pretty sure they know mine.
I have a theory that Zero is secretly either OSC or someone famous. Or his name is John Smith. He's like our own personal Janitor! (from Scrubs)
Coincidentally, I'm watching a rerun of Scrubs while reading this. I know this comment is random, but I thought it was cool.

Um...I usually can't remember other people's names online. Even when they have a screen name that might be a real name, it sometimes isn't. (Then again, I'm bad with names, anyway. There's a lot of people in the college group at my church that I have no clue what their name is. I feel bad because they greet me by my name and I'm like "Hey, you.")

One of the things that bothers me is when Starbucks employees don't wait for me to spell my name for them or screw up and write "Micha" because then I have to walk around with a Starbucks cup with someone else's name on it.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm Nicole without an H, but every single person who tries to write my name has to include the H. My last name is Devine and people either try to spell it with an I, or pronounce it De Vin, like the boy name.
Nicole is usually spelled with an "h"? I don't think I've ever known a Nicole with an "h".
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:30 pm

I gave up on Internets Privacy when Shadow Puppets came out. By then, I figured anyone dedicated enough to stalk me would find me anyway.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:34 pm

He's like our own personal Janitor! (from Scrubs)
So who's our JD that he torments?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:35 pm

hmmm... all of us?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:44 pm

I'm not worried about being stalked or anything, but the main reason why I won't post my last name is because I'm a teacher and I want to be able to speak freely here without worrying about the possibility of a student reading my posts.

Similar to EL, I was more concerned about privacy before SotG came out. OSC only listed real names in the acknowledgments and not screen names, So I had to at least reveal my first name if I wanted to brag :D .

I still won't post my last name though...
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Yeah, I made the mistake of saying "yes" when the fifth grade girls in one of the class I substitute for a lot asked me if I had a MySpace. I switched my profile to private because of that. I haven't come across them yet. I'm guessing they've forgotten by now since I haven't heard from them and I won't have to deal with them next year because the elementary school I sub at (where they go) only has K-5th.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:52 pm

I think I screwed myself over when I started posting pictures. *shrug* But I redeemed myself by continuing to make emo posts, ensuring no one would want to stalk me.

I have told my last name to every Pwebber that's ever asked, but I won't post it because my first and last name combination is just rare enough that I'm worried to let it loose to the world at large. It's more of an identity theft issue for me, I think. I worry someone's going to use my first&last to get other info that will lead to really important stuff.

Though my full (first, middle, last) is online from my court info from April...

My old boss couldn't remember how to say my name after almost two years. He would call me uh-lay-uh instead of uh-lee-uh and no amount of correcting him would change that. I've also gotten all-yah a lot. And alien once or twice.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:55 pm

I've had students ask me if I'm on facebook. I usually reply by saying that if I am they'll never find me.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:52 pm

I think you misunderstand me. I don't mind if other people share their info... I mean, if they didn't, it'd make it harder for me to stalk them.

I find it awesome that I'm apparently the Janitor Guy of pweb. I don't watch Scrubs much, but that guy is awesome.

I apparently have been mispronouncing uh-lee-uh's name in my head. Sorry! Wouldn't uh-lay-uh be a more, uh, hispanic pronunciation?

Oh, and to contribute to the thread; I like one of my names (out of first, middle, last), but I'm not saying which.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:00 pm

I don't like any of my names. Also, people also have a problem with my last name over the phone, when I spell it out for them no less. *shrugs*

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:06 pm

I use to be really paranoid about posting my name on the internet, but that disappeared over time. Besides, all the pwebbers i'm close to have been told my middle and last name.

My middle name is June and i've been really loving it lately.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:24 pm

I don't have a middle name. Usually I'm okay with it, but whenever I have to write my initials I feel a little deprived.
Happily both of my names are pretty easy to spell, though my first name is still messed up on my library card, which is just shameful.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:59 pm

My name, in its most basic First Name/Last Name format is Tristan Krahn. Having to spell these names out for people is frustrating, but try having my three middle names! Palmer William and Henry, not hard to spell but hard for people to take over the phone. And also hard to write in the little squares the government gives you on forms. I get about halfway into my third name and have to ask for a second piece of paper. When they tell me my address has two lines for that sort of thing, I have to embarrass myself telling them its not for my address but to accommodate my full name. I do not to this day know what my mother was thinking when she gave all four of her kids four names plus a surname and she still refuses to comment, but I think that is the worst thing one could do for a child. My fiancee and I will be having a child within the month and have only thought of one name. One full name for one full child. Not ten names for one child. I have the burden of being asked if I am William Krahn every time I am at a doctor when I am really William Krahn's son. So my child will have one middle name in addition to its one first name so that it will not be confused with any other child and will not be confused with it's father. My father is William Krahn and yet I am still asked (even though i reside in a different city) if I am the same William (or Brian, as he is known) Krahn that the samew doctor once treated. It is frustrating and as such, has prompted both my fiancee and I to name our child something that hasn't happened in our families before. Ainsley O'Riley Krahn is what our daughter will be named and if it is a son, well, we're screwed because we both are so damn sure it is a girl. If it is a boy, I am sure it will be called Lucas or Kirk. (no, we're not sci-fi fans at all. ) (OK, she isn't a fan but I am and I want a boy named Kirk.) But honestly, any parents who name their kids just so that the names sound cool are not naming their kids for the right reason. Parents should name their children based on what the name means. My name, for instance, means: tumultuous and sorrowful, in the original Welsh. That describes me to a T. But a name such as Christine, which means Bearer of Christ may not suit a girl with such a name. Parents should be mindful of what a name means before they name their child that. In English speaking countries it is hard to do that because we draw so much of our language from other languages, but there are still guides which help us understand the meanings of names before we name a child for all posterity. The names we have chosen are names that are either neutral or positive towards who we are. We would not name a child Mohammad becase we are not Muslim and do not believe that Mohammad was the divine prophet. We may, however, name our child David because we are Jewish and we do believe that David was a prominent Patriarch of our faith.

This is just our take on the naming of children based on our experience, our faith and our lifestyle. We belive that if a name comes to us in a dream or in argumentm the LORD GOD has given us this name and our child must be named so. And we believe that any names that we consider that are not divinely concurred are not what God has given us.

These are our beliefs and we do not intend ot impose on those of others.

Anyway, I believe that Parents who are expecting a child should name that child for the feelings that were held during gestation. Like Issac was named for the laughter that Abraham and Sarah shared in learning they would be parents at such an age, so shall each child be named. The feelings each parent has towards the child they will nurture should be the name the child receives. Just my thoughts, hopefully not too controversial.

Enough of my rambling. Lets hear what others think:

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:07 am

Normally I tend to like boy names way more then girls names, but lately it's been the girl names i've been getting obsessed with. If I ever have a daughter, I do want her to have my middle name because it was also what my grandma was known by.

endercoaster
Soldier
Soldier

Postby endercoaster » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:18 am

What I want to do with a kid is give them a normal first name, but a middle name that makes the first name completely dorky. I would name my kid Jack and have their middle name Harkness. Seriously. This is the plan.
Denny

"Children are a perpetual, self-renewing underclass, helpless to escape from the decisions of the adults until they become adults themselves."

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:32 am

So when somebody asks him what his middle name is, he'll be too embarassed to ever say. Good plan. :D

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:51 am

Wouldn't uh-lay-uh be a more, uh, hispanic pronunciation?
Sure. I even understand the inclination people have to pronounce it that way for exactly that reason and am more than willing to overlook any initial mispronunciations.

But I sort of draw the line at me correcting someone who can't get it right multiple times if they have regular contact with me.

My first name, unlike middle and last, is Arabic, not Hispanic. While I'm not pronouncing it quite right for that either, mine's a nice, happy, American pronunciation. Middle and last names can be pronounced with or without an accent and I'm just as happy with whatever comes out.

My entire name, by the way, is one of the few (only?) things about myself that I'm completely and hopelessly vain about, and for no really good reason.
Oh, and to contribute to the thread; I like one of my names (out of first, middle, last), but I'm not saying which.
If I didn't know you'd say no, I'd insist on playing that little game where we guess which one and if we get it right, you tell us.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”