Please, Think of the Children!!!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:43 pm

I'm so proud that it's always been "Uh-lee-uh" in my mind. I'm such a stickler for pronunciation.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:52 pm

"Kirsten" has been mispronounced by so many people, in a variety of different ways. It's pronounced, "Curse-ten." Exactly the way that it is spelled. Not Kyersten, and NOT Kristen. Kristen used to annoy me especially, because whenever I'd look at toys and jewelry that were "personalized" there was always a Kristen, and never a Kirsten. Kirsten has gotten more popular lately, so I get fewer "Kristens" (and, also, I'm in a heavily Scandinavian area of the country), but I still get "Kyersten" all the time. I have a rule of three -- I'll correct someone up to three times, for up to three months after they've first met me. After that, I give up and let it go. Or sometimes I'll get other people to call me by my name in front of them so that they'll ask me if they're saying it right. :) The funny thing is, actually, that people who know me well and have learned to pronounce my name actually get far more annoyed than I do when other people get it wrong, and are far more likely to jump in and correct the pronunciation. This phenomenon has happened with friends of mine -- even just acquantances -- in three different states.

Led to a funny conversation with my mother recently, who is a grammar and pronunciation snob. She was talking about my cousin's little boy, named Michaiah (or somesuch, I'm not sure about the spelling), and she pronounced it Mic-ai-ah (long a), and was told that they're pronouncing it Mic-aye-ah. "Okay, then," she says, "Mic-aye-ah. But the correct pronunciation is Mic-ai-ah."

I just look at her and say, "You know, Mom, a lot of people tell me that the correct pronunciation is 'Kyersten.'"

She laughed and didn't really have much of an answer. I'll be very surprised if she ever "corrects" the way someone pronounces their child's name again.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:12 pm

Just don't ever call me Nye-omi. It happened all the time growing up and I hate it. It's pronounced exactly how it's spelled. Nay-o-mee. I had one friend from Long Island who could NOT stop calling me Nye-omi and so we settled on her calling me "Nay" for short. She's the only one who calls me that particular nickname.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:55 pm

this thread jogged the memory of the siblings of my best friend (from fourth-seventh grade). Their proper names were TeeJay and KayCee

though the boy would write his name as T.J. or TJ all the time. But the letters didn't stand for anything, they were just spelled out cause the parents liked the sound of the names. I think the girl may have spelled her name Kaycee or Kacee or Kayce, but I'm not sure. They were constantly having to say that their names didn't stand for anything, that they were just their names. My friend lucked out, he had Eric. And the same middle name as me, iirc.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:28 pm

I have a theory that Zero is secretly either OSC
No, if he was OSC then his first 200 posts would have been brilliant, and then he would have started to just restate the things he said already, and then he would start claiming he was restating, but actually contradicting himself. Eventually he would become a parody of himself, and all his posts would be obviously written in haste. And probably chatspeak.

BURN!
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:53 pm

Just don't ever call me Nye-omi. It happened all the time growing up and I hate it. It's pronounced exactly how it's spelled. Nay-o-mee. I had one friend from Long Island who could NOT stop calling me Nye-omi and so we settled on her calling me "Nay" for short. She's the only one who calls me that particular nickname.
I say "Nay-o-mee" out of habit. I've subbed in a class quite a bit where there was a girl named Naomi and it's annoyed me how some of her classmates called her "Nye-o-mi," but I never made the correction. She didn't care either way. (She was one of the more annoying kids in the classes I've subbed for.)
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:35 pm

"Kirsten" has been mispronounced by so many people, in a variety of different ways. It's pronounced, "Curse-ten." Exactly the way that it is spelled.
Erm, are there pronunciation variants of this or something? Everyone I've known that was a Kirsten has been pronounced Kee-er-sten (which may actually be your Kyersten, but I'm just mangling it).
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:16 am

"Kirsten" has been mispronounced by so many people, in a variety of different ways. It's pronounced, "Curse-ten." Exactly the way that it is spelled.
I have been yelled at for mispronouncing it both ways by many different people. At this point, I doubt I will be surprised if I meet someone named "Bob" but pronounced "Beelzebub."

And zero is obviously Neil Flynn.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:53 am

Erm, are there pronunciation variants of this or something? Everyone I've known that was a Kirsten has been pronounced Kee-er-sten (which may actually be your Kyersten, but I'm just mangling it).
I think our Kirsten is pronounced like Kirsten Dunst. Though, yes, I have also known people who pronounce it the Keer-sten (or Kyer-sten, same thing I think) way.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:43 pm

My name in its most basic form is only two syllables. Ed Quinn. But it is weird when I introduce myself to people, they always think I'm saying Matt for some reason which I still find weird. It's also annoying when people find out my last name. "Oh do you _____ Quinn?" No, I don't. There are about a million Quinns in the Philadelphia area, I don't know all of them.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:49 pm

My name is spelled S-H-A-W-N. Not S-E-A-N. I hate it when people spell it the latter way. It is Shawn, not "Seen".

I also had a brother from my KH calling me "Shane" for the longest time.
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:52 pm

My name is spelled S-H-A-W-N. Not S-E-A-N. I hate it when people spell it the latter way. It is Shawn, not "Seen".

I think all Sean out there can definitely related to this topic since I was confused the first time I met a Sean.
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:53 am

I think our Kirsten is pronounced like Kirsten Dunst. Though, yes, I have also known people who pronounce it the Keer-sten (or Kyer-sten, same thing I think) way.
Isn't Kirsten Dunst a Keer-sten? Wikipedia says hers is kɪrstən, which I think is Keer-sten. The 'ir' is supposedly the same as in 'mirror', if I'm reading wikipedia's page on IPA correctly.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:15 am

I actually have 3 middle names. All three are "regular" names, and if you call me on the street by any of them, I probably won't answer.

Oh, and all my names- first, middles, last- cannot be messed up. =)
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:09 am

Isn't Kirsten Dunst a Keer-sten? Wikipedia says hers is kɪrstən, which I think is Keer-sten. The 'ir' is supposedly the same as in 'mirror', if I'm reading wikipedia's page on IPA correctly.
I stand corrected. I guess I've been saying (or thinking) Kirsten Dunst's name wrong all these years. Oh well, I like the way our Kirsten pronounces it better!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:24 pm

Yes, there are variations in pronunciation. All the same, if you pronounce my particular name, when talking to me as either Kyersten, Kristen, or Keersten, you are mispronouncing it.

And, actually, I've heard both Kyersten and Keersten. They are a bit different. "Kyersten" has the "kyur" sound as if you were to say "thick yurts." Keersten rhymes with beer-sten. However, my name is simple. Curse-ten. As in, you try to remember how to pronounce it, and when you can't, that makes you want to curse. :)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:06 pm

You're not Shaun, either?

(I had never seen the spelling of that name before the movie Shaun of the Dead.)
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:35 pm

Oh, I'm totally on board with that - if it's a legit spelling, then it's fine. It's the number of people who spell it differently "just to be different".

There's just a number of people on the various baby boards that I frequent that have the silliest names picked out.

Then again, I'm sure people think Guinevere is weird.
I have a friend named Lauran. I tease her about it all the time.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:14 pm

Sean is clearly the superior spelling of the name, stupid americans, ruining good Irish names.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:15 am

I'm with Jebus on this. Sean is infinitely better than Shawn or Shaun. [insert stoned kermit here. Where is he anyway? I know there is a thread with him somewhere...]
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:08 am

When I tell people my name, they often have to ask how to spell my last name, even though it is an easy English 3-letter word. (side note: because of this, when I Google my name even in quotes, I get 29,800 hits.)

Nobody asks me to spell my first name (7 letters), probably because it is fairly common. Mine follows the common spelling, but there is one other way to spell it that is also common, and people often choose that way. (no difference in pronunciation) I don't mind if people shorten my name (4 letters), but misspelled is the worst!

When my parents named me, they had two names picked out. When I was born, they just took one look at me and said, "He is definitely a _______." I'm glad, too. I really like my name. The other would have been terrible.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:36 pm

When I tell people my name, they often have to ask how to spell my last name, even though it is an easy English 3-letter word. (side note: because of this, when I Google my name even in quotes, I get 29,800 hits.)

Nobody asks me to spell my first name (7 letters), probably because it is fairly common. Mine follows the common spelling, but there is one other way to spell it that is also common, and people often choose that way. (no difference in pronunciation) I don't mind if people shorten my name (4 letters), but misspelled is the worst!

When my parents named me, they had two names picked out. When I was born, they just took one look at me and said, "He is definitely a _______." I'm glad, too. I really like my name. The other would have been terrible.
I'm pretty frightened that my first name is a seven-letter one that has two common spellings, with the wrong one often being chosen, and can be shortened to four letters, and that my last name is a common, English, three-letter word that everyone asks to spell. These coincidences are too great to be ignored.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:44 pm

Hmm... for some reason I thought your name was Scott, Slim.

Now I'm all confused.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:55 pm

[blank]
Last edited by Yebra on Tue May 07, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:37 am

I'm going to find the weirdest name in the Bible, and name my kid that. Howabout...

Berodachbaladan?

I also hate the fact that my name begins with the same letter as my brother (who we call "Bean"). Mom was going to name my little sister "Brin", but Dad talked her out of it. So she doesn't have a B name. Lucky.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Return to “Milagre Town Square”