Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:38 pm

I saw Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone ON Christmas the year it was in theaters. That's why they appeal to me as fall/winter movies. I think part of it is that Rowling typically makes a big deal about the winter months in her books and that translates to films, so it gives more of a wintery feel. Besides, the way the Hogwarts school year is set up, the majority of the novel takes place between early fall and the following spring/summer and so spring/summer are minuscule compared with the rest of the book.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

LeftiesWillRule
Launchie
Launchie

Postby LeftiesWillRule » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:50 pm

really good, its dark, like the setting of the book, you know, with voldemort back and people dying and stuff, scary but but not enough to make it a horrifying experience
hlp ndr jeesh tgdr en rus bns tun 6 rmy siz 40 n try sbtg bn fnd wiggin ptr

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:55 pm

New Trailer

The bit at the end is cute.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:01 pm

I've seen it about three times now between last night (thanks, Hatrack!) and this morning and the cool thing is, I keep noticing things I missed the times before.

It looks good but I'm still pissed about the date change.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:43 pm

Ah what, not coming out in November? What a shame. While the HP movies definitely aren't the best movies I've ever seen, though several of them rank up there pretty high (def in the top 10), they are still quite amazingly good and entertaining. I actually found myself looking forward to November this year and... now my heart is broken. :(

Great teaser though.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:53 am

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince has been rated PG

yippee! I expect nothing less from Yates.

I don't think it means anything, ultimately, about the quality of the movie, ratings don't matter to me, there're plenty of incredible PG films out there.

but for some reason this rating reminds me that Yates had never read the books before being asked to direct and after reading them thought they were utterly fluffy and silly, but the paycheck was awesome. And that was my biggest problem with Yates the film felt like he didn't care. Newell loved the character relationships, Cuaron was enamored by the fantasy playground, Columbus was in awe of the total creation. different flaws, different strengths but not an outright bad movie until OotP (okay, Chamber comes close).
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:28 pm

Am I hearing you correctly, locke, that the latest few Harry Potter movies are actually worse than the first ones?

Huh, well, I'm glad I stopped watching those movies when I thought they were only terrible.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:27 am

Am I the only one who saw it last night?
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:49 am

My daughters #3 and 4 went to the midnight showing last night and I dont think they were done talking about it till about 6 am.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:28 am

I saw it. sigh. It could have been so good, but at least the characters were outstanding this time around. and at least there were 'moments' that really worked (mostly character grace notes) rather than being all propulsive and tedious plot like the last film. But I still do not care for this director. It's also abundantly clear, now why there have to be two films for Deathly Hallows because of what they cut out of this film.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:09 pm

I actually love David Yates and am very glad he'll be directing that last two movies. I loved Order of the Phoenix--which is quite extraordinary as I really did not enjoy that book.

My one complaint is that Steve Kloves is back as the writer. I thought Michael Goldenberg did a far superior job.

That said, I really, really enjoyed this film--a few minor annoyances aside. I still think this and the last are the best to date.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:52 pm

I saw it this morning, at exactly twelve.

It wasn't as good as I expected, because of what they left out and the new stuff they added in.

For example, the climactic clash between the Death Eaters and the wizards of hogwarts, that all of Malfoy's planning was leading up to, was cut off.
Basically, the Death Eaters did absolutely nothing, afterall, Snape was the one who kills Dumbledore, and he was already in the Hogwarts.

Death Eater's came in, tried to urge Malfoy into killing Dumbledore, failed, hexed some random guy in the hallways, broke all the glass in the cafeteria room - and then left.

It was pretty ridiculous, I mean, seriously? All that work on the Cabinet and the Death Eaters don't really do anything...doesn't make anysense, as opposed to them actually fighting/attacking the kids in Hogwarts.

Also, they added in some random scene where they're at the Weasley's house or whatever, and they get attacked by some Death Eaters, with Harry acting like a dumb@ss and running after them by himself and then Ginny following him. Didn't see the point in the whole scene.

Last but not least, I like how all the Death Eater's were flying around, when that dark magic is only revealed in the last book, and I think it was only Voldemort who could do it. *shrug*

All in all, not as good as I hoped/expected.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:41 pm

We were at the theater at 3:30 on the 14th because a line had already started forming. Luckily they let us in the actual theater at 9:00 so we didn't have to sit in the hallway for the last three hours.

As just a film, I liked it, a lot. There was a lot of stuff that annoyed me because i'm a huge fan of the books, but movies are hardly ever just like the books, so i'm shrugging it off, sort of... I still don't get, and really don't like anything about the scene with the Burrow on fire.

Well worth being in the theater for 11 hours straight!

(I'm going again on the 30th for the IMAX showing in Seattle)
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:55 pm

I saw it this morning, at exactly twelve.

Also, they added in some random scene where they're at the Weasley's house or whatever, and they get attacked by some Death Eaters, with Harry acting like a dumb@ss and running after them by himself and then Ginny following him. Didn't see the point in the whole scene.
This was an important scene because otherwise people might have forgotten that Harry is a complete idiot. In some scenes he showed flickers of common sense which left unbalanced would have been a complete betrayal of the character.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Yebra » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:08 pm

Also as the board's token British person, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "snog" outside children's books. It's always seemed an ugly word to me, which is possibly the point - wouldn't want kids thinking there's anything fun about the opposite sex or anything. But then the treatment of sexuality in Harry Potter has always been a little weird.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:18 pm

I saw it at midnight. I enjoyed it--there were a couple things that bothered me--but I loved the humor. The end was no where near as dramatic as it could have been, but the Inferi were sweet. I really didn't like the Harry/Ginny first kiss scene. And Lavender was SO obnoxious. But I guess that was the point.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Also as the board's token British person, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "snog" outside children's books. It's always seemed an ugly word to me, which is possibly the point - wouldn't want kids thinking there's anything fun about the opposite sex or anything. But then the treatment of sexuality in Harry Potter has always been a little weird.
xD
I've always wondered that...whether people actually say snogging...
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 pm

I actually love David Yates and am very glad he'll be directing that last two movies. I loved Order of the Phoenix--which is quite extraordinary as I really did not enjoy that book.

My one complaint is that Steve Kloves is back as the writer. I thought Michael Goldenberg did a far superior job.
You are one of the few people to agree with me on this point. I didn't like Order very much at all as a book, but had a great time at the movie, and couldn't think of a single thing left our or changed from the book. I was quite disappointed that Half-Blood wasn't treated the same.

As for everything else, blah blah blah, was enjoying it until the end was anti-climactic, etc. I definitely didn't like how they didn't make a deal about occlumancy or silent spells. Then again, the silent spell thing has been happening since the first movie, regrettably, so I guess they couldn't pretend it hasn't been happening all this time.
I've always wondered that...whether people actually say snogging...
Well, it's entered my vernacular.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:44 pm

if I were to venture a guess, it'd be that snogging was popular slang when Rowling was in school.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Yebra » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:54 pm

if I were to venture a guess, it'd be that snogging was popular slang when Rowling was in school.
Yeah that makes sense, it just broke the suspension of disbelief for me a little.

I'd really love to see what the complete edit was like, it's obviously been hacked to bits in places and I wonder if there's a slightly better film to be found in a different cut. But then I'm not really sure what I'd do different in terms of what to keep, I think you can completely lose the unbreakable vow scene or possibly the first slug club scene and use the time to fill something else out a bit but otherwise most of it seemed pretty necessary.

I'm still not sure what I think of it, it has the problem the rest of the films had of feeling like a montage of interesting bits from the story that goes on at breakneck speeds, then there's a climax that seems to come from nowhere, then it ends. I just don't think film is the natural format to adapt it to.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm pretty sure any more current British replacement for snog would sound completely out of place in a Harry Potter setting. We use score in Ireland as pretty much standard (or shift if you come from the wild untamed lands of the bogs), dunno if it's the same with the homosexuals on the other island, but score would sound ridiculous in HP and would make Americans think it was a reference to sex (and confused yanks are dangerous).

Pleased I managed to insult three seperate groups of people in one sentence there.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:20 pm

(and confused yanks are dangerous)
"Philos'pher's stone? What kid wants ter read 'bout some philos'pher? Naow, a sorcerer, that's more excitin'."

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:12 pm

I was disappointed. The ending was completely anti-climactic and failed to move me at all. Not when Dumbledore was killed and not when they held the wands up. What the crap about the lack of a battle?

Tom Felton -is that his name? Draco- was fantastic, as was Slughorn -especially when smashed- and Harry -especially when he used the luck potion.

I didn't believe a thing about Harry and Ginny but I did like the kiss in the room of requirement. I just wish their relationship was more developed, as they actually started and ended one in the book. I also wish she had had more attitude instead of coming off as being kind of a pushover.

I thought the Ron and Hermione bit was handled pretty much perfectly but Ron completely got the shaft so far as his friendship to Harry is presented. Whenever Harry needs to talk about something serious, it seems he goes straight for Hermione and leaves Ron out of it.

Could not stand the ending, where they looked out over the water. It was way too much like the ending to GoF, which is my least favorite movie.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I can complain as I don't remember the details of the book (2 years or so since I last read it) and thought it would be a difficult movie to film when I did read it last.

Separately, I would love a still of the dining hall the day after Dumbledore dies, when it shows the sun shining through the broken window.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:05 pm

I thought the Ron and Hermione bit was handled pretty much perfectly but Ron completely got the shaft so far as his friendship to Harry is presented. Whenever Harry needs to talk about something serious, it seems he goes straight for Hermione and leaves Ron out of it.
Completely agreed. I don't know if Rupert Grint just can't act, so they want to give him as little screen time as possible, or if they're just madly in love with Emma Watson and forget about Ron. I mean, even in the books Ron wasn't that useful in the advice-giving department, but he is so much more of a friend than he is in the movie. It's almost like he's slapped in there for comic relief and random drama...and Hermione's love interest of course. Goodness, I love their relationship. It's the greatest.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:56 pm

You know what I really missed in this movie? And I understand the lack of it. We've seen five movies of it, it rarely plays into the plot, etc. etc., but it's my favorite parts: the classes. We saw a single class. One. They hardly cared that Snape finally got the DATDA position, which was a huge hit in the book.

Row--row.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:04 pm

If you'll excuse me, I have not read any part of this thread. What I'm about to write contains spoilers and likely curse words in caps lock, unless we have a censor I've never had the opportunity to test before. You have been warned.

------

*ahem*

Where the f*** was the BATTLE at the End of this God Forsaken Film! Christ! It's the ONLY—well, not only, but one of the PRIMARY reasons I ATTENDED the movie. I wanted to see that fight on screen. The last movie was good, but the major highlight was all the flashing lights at the end. I came into this one thinking, I'm sure it will be better than the last one, but the HIGHLIGHT will be the BATTLE at the END. I was entertained by the movie. Up until the ending, I would say it's my favorite of the films: It's genuinely funny, and almost never boring. There are parts—like the Weasley house being destroyed—that make you go, Wait a second... But they're not that big a deal—forgivable even. ... UNTIL THE END! Who in the blue blazes of bloody, bloody hell DECIDED that was a GOOD IDEA?! f***!

------

That is all. Thank you for your time.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:45 pm

I think you guys missed the point or perhaps too "old" (sorry) to remember; but I think the movie was much more of a character study, then an action and special effects oriented film.

I really did like it. I will admit I was a bit disappointed, when Snape was introduced as the "servant" (and please remember to post spoiler alerts), even if it was obvious in the book they never mentioned it. Anyways, it was all about what the character of Snape was going to do; but also what the character of Malfoy was going to do. I thought the actor that plays Malfoy was the best in this film, then any film. He actually seemed human, with personal struggles, then someone who just hated Harry and gang.

I even liked the relationships struggles because it is a common internal battle all kids tend to face (and even some adults). The words may not be correct, like "snogging"; but just factor that into the language of the fantasy land. The wizards do have a slightly different language after all.

Anyways, I have to admit I was a little disappointed with the lack of a battle; but they showed so much in the movie (above) that they had to leave something out. The line has to be drawn someplace.

Anyways, it seems to be a usually pattern here there is some movie out there that you all comment on and usually do not like and me liking that same movie. I have said it before and I will say it again I guess I just let myself get lost easier in movie...no offense. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:38 am

If you'll excuse me, I have not read any part of this thread. What I'm about to write contains spoilers and likely curse words in caps lock, unless we have a censor I've never had the opportunity to test before. You have been warned.

------

*ahem*

Where the f*** was the BATTLE at the End of this God Forsaken Film! Christ! It's the ONLY—well, not only, but one of the PRIMARY reasons I ATTENDED the movie. I wanted to see that fight on screen. The last movie was good, but the major highlight was all the flashing lights at the end. I came into this one thinking, I'm sure it will be better than the last one, but the HIGHLIGHT will be the BATTLE at the END. I was entertained by the movie. Up until the ending, I would say it's my favorite of the films: It's genuinely funny, and almost never boring. There are parts—like the Weasley house being destroyed—that make you go, Wait a second... But they're not that big a deal—forgivable even. ... UNTIL THE END! Who in the blue blazes of bloody, bloody hell DECIDED that was a GOOD IDEA?! f***!

------

That is all. Thank you for your time.
Props to you. I agree totally. That was all I was thinking about after the movie. I still liked it, though.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:36 pm

Yes!! Why'd they move the epic Hogwarts battle to a measly skirmish at the Burroh?

Other than that, I thought the movie was pretty good.
Alan Rickman was really good playing Snape. I loved the scene with him and Harry right before Dumbledore's death.

It was so funny when Harry was reaching into the lake for water. Practically everyone in the audience braced themselves for an inferi popping up, but the scene dragged on for so long that everyone jumped anyways. After that, everyone was laughing.
I just lost the game; you just lost the game.

http://www.losethegame.net/

I know! I'll use my sig as advertisement space for my classmates. http://www.youtube.com/user/Theorem42

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:59 pm

My friends saw the movie before me while I was in D.C. My bff told me about that part. She said that my other friend screamed and grabbed her when the hand popped out, and everyone turned to look at her. When I finally begged my mom enough times to see it, we went in D.C. I was getting ready for that part, but I still jumped in my seat when it happened.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:29 pm

I finally, FINALLY saw this movie. Paul and I wanted to see it together since Harry Potter is kinda a "thing" for us, but with him being away and having to get a babysitter, we didn't see it till this weekend.

Spoilers, Spoilers, Blah, BLAH, You've all seen it before me anyway.

I liked it. I probably shouldn't have made the mistake of reading the book so close to seeing the movie, since all I could think about was the differences. But, I did make the good choice of seeing all the movies beforehand, it was nice to see how the actors have improved.

I like what they did with Draco - having him barely speak was a good move.
I liked that Hermoine talked to Harry about Ginny, since so much of it in the book is in his head, that would be hard to come across in the film.

I did not like what they did with Ron. Where was he? Harry and Hermoine are having a conversation at the end and he's just sitting there? I feel like they've decided to make Ron purely comic relief, which is a shame.

I freaking love Helena Bonham-Carter as Bellatrix. She IS that part. Kicking the glasses and taking out the window in the great hall was just awesome.

Burning down the Burrow? NO. WRONG.

I hope they just move Dumbledore's funeral to the next one(s). I missed all the Bill and Fleur stuff, the Quidditch cup stuff and, of course, the fight at the end.

As the students were lifting their wands at the end, I said to Paul "There are some first years in that crowd going 'what spell are we supposed to be doing??' "
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:52 pm

As the students were lifting their wands at the end, I said to Paul "There are some first years in that crowd going 'what spell are we supposed to be doing??' "
best laugh I've had all day over that, Jan!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:41 am

details on the islands of adventure theme park
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 995df9e6e5

Return to “Milagre Town Square”