The Guys not talking about Guy Stuff Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Best regular shaving option?

At the Barbar, hot towels, the whole works
No votes
Safety razor
17%
cartridge razor
25%
Blade Razor
17%
Straight Edge Razor
8%
I never, ever shave my face
33%

Total votes: 12

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 am

Do other guys periodically trim their pubes down? or do you let them grow forever like that nasty dude on Harold and Kumar 2? (heh)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:50 am

Yep (to the first question). One of my flatmates apparently does, as well, since one day I woke up to another flatmate bitching at him for all of the trimmings he apparently left all over the tub.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:43 am

I keep them short simply because I found that it wasn't only cleaner but that it also bugged me less. I also trim my chest and belly hair down short short (but not all the way off) because it not only looks better but again it bugs me less. Also my armpit hair because, again, it looks better (doesn't look like a cat under your arms) but I also use less deodorant and it results in less smell and perspiration.

Really, most of the hair on our bodies is quite dumb. Hopefully soon we'll evolve away most of the more useless hair (armpit, chest and belly, back, pubic, etc). :P

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:47 am

I never have...
And no, it's not a forest down there
but there is hair, and I can't say I have any real desire to start trimming, waxing, or shaving it...
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:17 am

I've never cut my armpit hair. and it's not ridiculously long. hmm I wonder if cutting of hair stimulates it's growth. It doesn't seem to be growing. come to think of it pubic hair doesn't seem to really grow continously either. I just trim it when it gets into little curls :p this is suddenly an interesting avenue of scientific inquiry for me. I wonder if wikipedia will be able to help?

I think of armpit hair as a sort of heat sink anyway, increases area for heat dissapation (sp?) which would be a good thing, right? otoh, armpit hair on girls is gross, but pubic hair is not. :p I don't have much chest hair, not like a thick matte or anything, it's noticeable, but not unsightly, imo (I kinda like it ?)

My head is a mass of thick fine straight blond-brown hair, which always makes people who cut it exclaim things about how wonderful it is. That's fine and dandy, now if someone would just tell me what the hell to do with it cause I haven't a clue. :P perhaps I need gels, but I haven't used those since first grade when I spiked my hair with mouuse. :p

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:42 am

I learned a word for all that men trimming their body hair: Manscaping

All hair (even pubic) continuously grows, just at different rates. You shed some and new ones grow in it's place. Otherwise, it wouldn't grow back when people shaved/waxed.

And no, cutting/shaving does not stimulate growth. There is some thought that plucking/waxing does SLOW growth because it damages the hair follicles.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:24 pm

manscaping is a hilarious word. I learned it last night on the wikipedia pubic hair page, which, btw, is NSFW

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:23 am

hmm I wonder if cutting of hair stimulates it's growth.
No, but I've heard cutting/shaving hair in general can make it appear longer. Since when it grows back it will be more even rather than staggered. Or something.
I think of armpit hair as a sort of heat sink anyway, increases area for heat dissapation (sp?) which would be a good thing, right?
Only if it conducts heat well. I thought hair is more of an insulator... it seems like being covered in hair would make your warmer.
I learned a word for all that men trimming their body hair: Manscaping
I've never heard that before. zero highly approves.

dgf hhw

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:44 am

Do other guys periodically trim their pubes down? or do you let them grow forever like that nasty dude on Harold and Kumar 2? (heh)
No. All my body hair seems to reach a maximum length on its own, and I'm not naturally very hairy. I don't cut/shave any hair that's not on my head/face.

Also, the whole shaving makes it grow faster or thicker thing is a myth. It's just that hair is naturally tapered, so when the tops of hairs are cut off what remains is the thicker part of the hair. The actual number of hairs doesn't increase.

And I've heard the term "manscaping" before, but it still makes me laugh. :D
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:37 am

I've heard the term as well, and am generally amused by it.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:31 pm

If I haven't proven it yet, I'm sure I'm getting close; blond is a state of mind, not a hair color. *sigh*

Story first, then I will ask Adam for a favor.

I was at a barbecue yesterday celebrating a friend's birthday and we were just sitting/standing around talking about all sorts of stuff when some of the moms (am I really old enough to have friends who have children?!) of the group started talking about their sons. One told a story about her son -who is 4- getting an erection and I had a 'Wha'? Really? He's old enough?' reaction.

Needless to say, I need an Idiot's Guide To The Nonsexual Penis.

So, Adam. Will you be my go-to-penis-person until I get one of those boyfriend things? (ETA: I need to clarify that I meant for questions) I'd ask Josh but he doesn't have one, being an honorary girl and all. :P
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:36 pm

Alea, you're priceless. :lol:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:22 am

My mother has told me that when I was just a few years old I would get an erection and ask her what "it" was. Those stories are so..... uncomfortable. :shock:

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:25 am

Yeah, I sorta remember doing that myself. Now let's never speak of it again.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:16 am

Will you be my go-to-penis-person until I get one of those boyfriend things?
This sentence is just made of awesome. I know I'm taking it out of context, but it made me laugh.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:21 am

So, Adam. Will you be my go-to-penis-person until I get one of those boyfriend things?
I think it might be time to change my sig again. :)

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:33 am

but yeah, boys get spontaneous erections, I don't remember them all that much at that age, but iirc there is nothing sexually explicit to the cause. go back to the first page of the thread and read the convo about what to do when you get hard in public. happens to males at all ages, moreso once puberty hits.

In my high school german class our teacher told us a story about how she didn't understand boys: her son (threeish) had started playing with his penis (not masturbating) and she had told him to STOP IT and probably had passed on one of those horrible myths mothers use (warts, it'll fall off that sort of thing, I don't remember what she said). and one of the guys in class spoke up, "but... but don't do that! You can't take away his favorite toy!" to her credit she laughed at that.

You start getting a lot more spontaneous erections when you're thirteen-fourteen. I still get one every time I get drowsy, which could be embarassing at class or school, luckily no one ever pointed it out. And, like I'm sure many guys have, I've gotten pretty adroit to adjusting/tucking it up against the waistline of my pants as I stand up from wherever I've been sitting.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 am

I know I'm coming to this late, but, on the hair issue:

Hair grows continuously, up to a maximum length. Shaving it does not make it grow faster, it just changes the appereance (thickens the hair by making it all a cylindrical shaft rather than leaving the tapered end that originally existed.) Arm pit hair is not a heat sink, in fact, it's the opposite. It traps heat... and it traps bacteria, thus leading to the yucky smell if you've been sweaty. (Bacteria + sweat = bacterial byproducts = stinky.)
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:30 pm

I'm glad I amuse you people :P
In my high school german class our teacher told us a story about how she didn't understand boys: her son (threeish) had started playing with his penis (not masturbating) and she had told him to STOP IT and probably had passed on one of those horrible myths mothers use (warts, it'll fall off that sort of thing, I don't remember what she said). and one of the guys in class spoke up, "but... but don't do that! You can't take away his favorite toy!" to her credit she laughed at that.
Her son is a little late to the game starting at 3, isn't he?

My nephews (well, only the younger one now) watch tv in a way that reminds me of Al Bundy; they have one hand down their diaper/underwear and they just play with themselves as if it were -and I suppose it is- the most natural thing to do. Same with post-shower towel offs. It's like they have this 'Hey, I'm naked so I better make the most of it' mentality, get in a few tugs, then get dressed.

That I knew boys did. I guess a part of me just thought erections didn't show up until puberty, lord knows where I got that idea.

So here's another barbecue inspired question: same child as was mentioned earlier told his mom he was sad his penis was small. His mom wasn't sure what he was using to compare (dad is basically out of the picture, but it's possible he was the basis for the comparison). Either way, I always thought that was a learned thing when older, whether or not you care about size. Is this child just weird or is it normal for boys (in general) to worry about that so young?

[Thank you to the boys of Pweb. I feel weird googling this sort of thing...I mean, keywords: Penis, erection, etc would get me some interesting links I'm sure.]
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:48 pm

I googled it, and it came up with a lot of message boards for moms. I remember when my sister first noticed my nephew (he was about 3-4 at the time) would get them while he was in the bath. It freaked her out a bit and she asked her doctor who told her it was perfectly normal.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:51 am

I don't know if 4 is young or not. I pretty much feared that my penis was small since the time I can remember. Up until the time that I was first with a girl. So I don't think that it started that young, but it was definitely a fear at a young age.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:10 am

I don't know if 4 is young or not. I pretty much feared that my penis was small since the time I can remember. Up until the time that I was first with a girl. So I don't think that it started that young, but it was definitely a fear at a young age.
*nods*

couple this with the desire to know if it's small or not by comparing to other guys your age and then wondering if wanting to know that makes you gay. :p

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:43 am

...and these days the internet can answer all of these questions (well, not to a 4-year-old hopefully, but eventually).

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:51 am

bump to help Dave figure out the inside joke.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:57 pm

Once again, xkcd nails it. This reminded me of you guys talking about the friend zone:

Rollover: Friends with detriments.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:11 pm

As someone pointed out to me, he's almost a decent guy, and misses it entirely by being a manipulating bastard.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:00 pm

wow. That xkcd. yeah. nailed how a lot of guys approached girls and relationships. kind of amazing, sad and truthful all at once.

I blame romantic comedies. and guys' fear of rejection.

theory, Apatow comedies perhaps could cure some of this by teaching the nerd-schmucks that they have to let a girl know they're interested romantically if they want to have a hope with a girl they're interested in.

I once went to a teen-christian rally thing called Acquire the Fire. and there was a whole multi hour thing about how real relationships grow out of friendships first, and you should ideally only be in one relationship because you don't want your heart to be broken ever. I took that to heart because it gave me an excuse to avoid relationships, but it also is extremely bad, bad bad advice. I think now that a failed relationship as a teen is an invaluable experience (I can say this b/c my big relationship in college ended before I was twenty, heh), and in a lot of ways a healthy thing, sort of like a vaccination.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:34 pm

Yeah, I agree with locke. The best kind of relationship with a woman should start with her crying out Gods name whenever you are with her.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:01 pm

This thread so deserves to be bumped.

So how does everyone feel about circumcisons?
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:38 pm

don't get them once you're an adult unless you have a burning desire to be an orthodox jew.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:48 pm

I've never thought of it as being the norm before. I guess I've never given it much thought either way, actually.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:55 pm

I don't think circumcisions are necessary for any medical reason. If we'd had a son I wouldn't have circumcised him.

However, I do think that if you're Jewish or Muslim that there's no reason to not do it either. I don't like it when people are really anti-circumcision.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:57 pm

worldwide, only about 30% of guys are circumcised (according to wikipedia anyway)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:03 pm

if it were up to me alone I'd say no to circumcision and teach the lad to clean himself but it'd likely be a joint decision. There are decent arguments on either side of the debate.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:12 pm

I actually think that this is one area where the father should get to make the call. I mean, if I have a daughter I'm not going to argue with the mother about the best methods of feminine hygiene.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”