The Guys not talking about Guy Stuff Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Best regular shaving option?

At the Barbar, hot towels, the whole works
No votes
Safety razor
17%
cartridge razor
25%
Blade Razor
17%
Straight Edge Razor
8%
I never, ever shave my face
33%

Total votes: 12

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:03 pm

...say, wasn't this the GUY thread, anyways? ;-)
The girls just had to go and ruin it. Figures, don't it? (Actually, though, if this is supposed to be a thread kinda like "what guys talk about when girls aren't around", then it's going pretty well. And if the hens would kindly stop their pecking maybe it would stay that way.)

Re: ballkicking.... I've been hit there a few times, but never in front of girls, so I can't really say. But it makes sense to be embarrassed by being in such a vulnerable position in front of a bunch of girls. You're feeling embarrassed when you get kicked, though? Usually there's only really one thing I can think about when that happens...
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Scars. I have a multitude of scars on my legs from various outdoors and sporting injuries, one across my knee from a rock that gouged into it when I dropped to my knee one thanksgiving to catch a football that I'd overran.

I've got an awesome pair of matching scars from my two surgeries on my right side from my hernia repair and appendectomy. unfortunately it's harder to show those off.

I used to have a really cool inch long, slightly curved burn scar on the back of my right hand from accidentally brushing the electric stove burner when I was nine or so, but it faded away finally after about ten years.

I've got bumps on my head from when it's been busted open, but I only had to get stiches twice. the worst thing is all the blood pouring down into your eyes, so the trick is to learn quickly to keep your head pointed back so it runs somewhere unimportant, like your hair.

there's one unfortunate scar on my leg that came from lifting a stupid dorm dresser while rearranging the furniture of the dorm room and the drawer (i was too impatient to take the drawers out, slid out and the sharp corner when straight into my shinbone leaving a really nasty gouge that probably should have got stitches (like the knee wound) but that I doctored myself relatively fine.

No broken bones yet though. never really had a nose bleed.

my trick for stopping pain is to stare at the wound and imagine it under a microscope and watching the nerves impulses jumping the synapse so it can send a signal to the brain of pain. for some reason picturing precisely the mechanism of how my body is saying 'f***! that hurt!' numbs the pain considerably.

Anyone other guys have any interesting scars (real MAN scars, not emotional scars)?
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Elbow scar from surgery to remove a "bone chip". Two equal, even, identical scars on both shins from wearing a less-flexible pair of pants and trying to jump up a concrete loading dock and failing. Inside ear from another surgery but you can't see it. Various smaller scars all around my knees from various things.

Your "pain lessening" method is similar to mine. People focus on pain as an "ouch it hurts" and they try to fight against the pain. If you accept it in some way, such as your way, it doesn't hurt as much. As such, my method is to simply "feel" the pain and "feel" the individual nerves associated with the pain. Since you're not fighting the pain it lessens it. :)

Edit: I've broken two bones -- elbow by falling down on it, and my pinky on my left hand. Both were just fractures.

I also remembered another scar. All the way down my right ring finger. I was holding on to a metal fence when someone pulled in it as hard as they could and it caused the rusted metal to slice all the way down that finger. I didn't need a shot, and I opted out of the stitches. It's still quite noticeable to this day. Doesn't affect opening and closing it, however.
Last edited by Wil on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GWgqYnqgh4

I hereby induct the kid as our official mascot.

I've worked with a guy who cut on the show.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:27 pm

um and I found out later with other girlfriends who were willing to go all the way that it's can also be fantastic foreplay. :grin:
Mmmm....yeah. My favorite kind. :)

Yes, that's really all I have to add.

*bows out of boy's thread*
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:40 am

I have a very faint scar on my forehead from when I kinda cracked it open when I was a kid. I later heard that forehead cuts produce a lot more blood than similar-depth cuts elsewhere, which would be consistent with my (faint) memory of it.

I've had a few temporary scars (if you even call them that) from a cat I took care of once. Sometimes this thing would just flip out and attack for no reason I am aware of. Just latched on to my leg when I was walking by (or jump up to my arm) and bit and scratched until you pried him off. Drew quite a bit of blood, he did. Fun cat.

Edit: I also buckle-fractured a wrist by sledding into a tree. I've also tried to punch myself in the face. Have you ever really tried it? It's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:29 am

All of my scars are on my knees, which just makes me feel like a little kid. One is from a bad wipeout on my bike when I was about eight, and I'm surprised hasn't faded yet, then two more are from when I was working on my car, leaned in to turn it on to make sure it worked, and it did! Too bad I had it in drive instead of in neutral; it dragged me across the driveway to crash into the fence. Then a couple more with really, really lame stories, mostly involving just falling down on linoleum.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:30 am

I only have three scars that remain noticable, and even then you'll only see them if I point them out. One is on my forearm, and I honestly cannot remember what I did to cause it. I think I did it rollerblading or something; but it's in a really weird place for that.

The second one is in my left eyebrow. I attacked myself with a Playskool King doll and his crown went right into my eyebrow. It's the only place on my body where I have stitches.

The third one is on my inside left ankle. I managed to get a 3/4" long toothpick shoved in there and it remained there for about a month (the wound had healed at this point) before it was eventually pushed back out. That was a fun one.

I also have a little blue dot in my forehead from getting stabbed with a pencil...but that's not really a scar.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:55 am

If pencil-stabbings count, then I guess I have three. A tiny scar on one of my knuckles (you really might not notice even if I pointed it out) from when I nearly dropped my sister's sleeping bag in a lake and made a dive into the wooden dock to prevent it. A more notable but still small scar on my palm from wiping out on my bike last summer. And a small dark spot on my other palm where I got stabbed with a pencil by a classmate in kindergarten and the lead snapped off in my hand. At least that's how I remember it, even though I wonder why no one took the lead out at the time.

Actually, looking closely, there might be two more scars from the bike incident, but they run along natural creases in my palms, so it's hard to say for sure. I think there's at least one more, though.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:03 pm

I have 2 barely-noticeable scars: one on my right hand, caused from being scratched by a table in that spot (don't ask) and another one near my right ankle, caused by a deep wound nearby from a garbage bag with glass in it (yeah...large garbage bags can be mean).
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:52 pm

I've got one wrapping a third of the way around my forearm from barbed wire. Also a few on my hand from the same barbed wire and from a rusty nail. And I've got a few spanning my back, although I think those may be mostly faded now. And a pencil stabbing mark near the centre of my palm (paper bags don't pop any better if you use a sharp object).
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:59 pm

I have a scar running across the inside my wrist from a very angry cat. I have another on the inside of my leg, just below my knee from jumping on a bed and falling off, only to catch a spring that was sticking out on my way down. My hand has some fingernail marks from a fight over a toy duck, and I have a circle scar from a spider bite on the inside of lower arm.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:19 am

I have four. One on my chin. This is a combination of sorts. I busted my chin down the shore when I was very young, which required stitches. I also flipped over the handlebars of bike two times after that and busted my chin in the exact same spot. I'm not really sure if it made the scar any worse, but nonetheless that scar is covered by a goatee. The second is on my forehead after getting hit with a hockey stick. This one has mostly faded. The third one is on the knuckle of my left ring finger. That is from a very angry steak knife. The fourth is on my left forearm from a burning by a extremely hot lighter.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:10 am

I've also tried to punch myself in the face. Have you ever really tried it? It's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.
:? Okey dokey, then, Tyler Durden...

Scars. Reminds me of The Replacements. "Chicks dig scars."

I have one on my left hand from an oil splatter; I was around 8 when that happened. One on my left knee from taking a hill too fast on my bike and eating pavement; I was also around 8 for that. Because my left side of my body seems to be cursed...I have one on the end of my left eyebrow, from my ring pushing out when I was 19? Somewhere around that age. I used to have one on my right wrist but it seems to have faded.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:16 pm

What! Your twinny scar faded! Mine's getting more and more faint, but it's still there.

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Totoro To-to-ro

Postby shadow-petra » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:15 pm

I have a scar half the length of my thigh from a pole holder when I was setting up the volleyball nets. It's really sexy, especially when I had two purple-turned yellow/green-bruises hugging both sides of the cut=P

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:57 am

I've also tried to punch myself in the face. Have you ever really tried it? It's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.
:? Okey dokey, then, Tyler Durden...
It'd actually be easier if it were like that; if I thought there was another person or something. And I'm serious, it's hard to do "for real". I just enjoy a challenge.

Edit: Actually, on that note, I know someone who goes to a place that sounds a lot like a Fight Club (as in, the fighting; not an insane leader guy). When he was describing it, he saw some look in my eyes and mentioned he could see me really breaking out or something. I considered going when he told me that... for about three seconds, before I came to my senses. It also probably doesn't help that I'm weak as hell, and not trained at all in combat.

dgf hhw

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:31 am

I've got three scars. The most noticeable is by my left eye, from when my brother was trying to teach me how to swing a baseball bat... I got a little too close behind him, and he didn't realize... and he was using a metal bat. I had to get stitches for that one.

I have one on my elbow from falling off a bike that's barely noticable now, but I remember it pusing up pretty badly.

I also have a cigarette burn on my bicep. I was fairly drunk at the time, and my friend kept pushing me to let him do it, so I finally gave in. I flinched the first time, but I convinced him to try again after he burned my older brother (not the one who hit me with a bat). It really didn't hurt as much as I expected it to.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Edit: Actually, on that note, I know someone who goes to a place that sounds a lot like a Fight Club (as in, the fighting; not an insane leader guy). When he was describing it, he saw some look in my eyes and mentioned he could see me really breaking out or something. I considered going when he told me that... for about three seconds, before I came to my senses. It also probably doesn't help that I'm weak as hell, and not trained at all in combat.
...and I don't want to get into the usual discussion/argument that I have whenever someone mentions a "real" Fight Club, but, seriously, people that form their own completely miss the point of the novel/film. At least, that's what my interpretation of the novel/film was.

Well, okay, I take that back: it is entirely possible that the people that form such clubs aren't missing the point, and are in fact forming said club for the exact, true purpose that it should have been formed for in the media of your choosing. However too many people would just go to the club, not for the therapeutic reasons that the novel and films suggested they could be used for, but just because they either a) think it is cool to be like Brad Pitt and Ed Norton and beat other people up, haw haw haw, or b) just want to beat someone else up, and not for said therapeutic reasons.

/rant
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:51 pm

What! Your twinny scar faded! Mine's getting more and more faint, but it's still there.
*sigh* I know! That's probably the only time I've ever been upset to have a scar fade. I just looked one day and it was gone.

I just enjoy a challenge.
I enjoy a good challenge, too, but I don't think upsetting my face has ever been considered a challenge so much as bodily harm.

Do you guys hit walls or other hard objects when angry/bored?

I ask, seriously, because just about every guy I know has punched a wall (or the floor in one person's case) because of anger or boredom. They always said it was better the floor than someone's face.

I never understood that until recently, when I got HULK angry, started to swing at a wall, and then stopped myself when I realized what I was doing.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:39 pm

I've wailed on pillows to relieve frustration. They're too soft to provide real satisfaction though. You might as well be punching air. There'd be hell to pay if I damaged a wall in my house, so I refrain from hitting them, and I'm very rarely angry enough to want to. It'd be nice to have a punching bag. Great exercise and stress relief at the same time.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:08 pm

At one point I was working retail where there were many large cardboard boxes of plush or otherwise undamagable (and, given where I was working, practically worthless) goods that I would punch or kick to let off some steam. It started with empty ones, as a way of breaking them down for the compactor; but then I'd kick half-full ones just for the hell of it.

Never a wall, though. I've never really had any urge to do so either.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:13 pm

A male I know punched the windshield of his sister's car during an argument and broke it. I think when someone punches something during an argument, even if is not a person, violence is implied and it is meant to be a threatening gesture.
Last edited by Luet on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:10 pm

walls hurt, and it's not really easy to punch a hole into drywall.

especially not if you hit a stud. My brother's punched a hole in the wall before but I've never got angry enough to do it with enough force.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:57 pm

I never let my anger fully control me, so I never punch walls. I think of it like this, self-preservation above my emotions. If I punch a hole in the wall, I will feel pain, then feel pain from my parents for punching the hole. Being that I generally dislike pain, I refrain from punching the wall so I can avoid pain. And though that pain cant kill me, I consider it selfpreservation, to control myself.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:13 pm

My best male friend once punched a door, leaving a huge dent and breaking his hand.

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:38 pm

I'm generally fairly calm, but every once in a while, I get angry enough that I'll actually hit a wall or something. It does release some tension, and the physical pain helps me stop thinking about whatever's pissing me off.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:18 am

...and I don't want to get into the usual discussion/argument that I have whenever someone mentions a "real" Fight Club, but, seriously, people that form their own completely miss the point of the novel/film. At least, that's what my interpretation of the novel/film was.
The club itself has nothing to do with Fight Club (and for all I know, predated it). It's just the easiest way to explain what it is to people; it wasn't created from the book or movie or anything (as far as I know).

I punched a wall once in frustration. It was tiled, and I did no damage to either the wall or myself; I didn't hit it all too hard, but it still hurt.

However, when I was younger I did jump into walls. Well, padded walls, like those in a school gym. It was a way to wake me up, and I thought it was kinda fun. Haven't done that in a really long time (and I haven't seen padded walls in awhile), but lately I've kinda wanted to.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:20 am

I'm usually short-tempered; So when angered, I go and punch pillows, the blanket or (if at school) plastic doors- but never walls or something like that; too hard.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:45 am

Fun fact:

Evidence suggests that people who punch pillows and walls, far from venting their anger, are infact rehearsing to respond violently to frustration, and are therefore more likely to lash out violently at a person.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:41 pm

Where did you hear/read this, Paul? I would tend to agree with it but I'm just curious.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:11 pm

My parents taught me similarly when I was younger, and since then I've essentially stopped responding that way to anger or frustration almost entirely. That said, it makes me more likely to hit myself or in some other way hurt myself as the tension builds and there is no release for it.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:03 pm

Where did you hear/read this, Paul? I would tend to agree with it but I'm just curious.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bbushman ... globe.html (for example)

Have you talked to anyone about wanting to hurt yourself, Rei?
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Fun fact:

Evidence suggests that people who punch pillows and walls, far from venting their anger, are infact rehearsing to respond violently to frustration, and are therefore more likely to lash out violently at a person.
Pfft! This is supposed to be the guy's thread! We'll have none of that touchy-feely nonsense here. Now drop and give me 20!
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:08 pm

Fun fact:

Pfft! This is supposed to be the guy's thread! We'll have none of that touchy-feely nonsense here. Now drop and give me 20!
How is that touchy-feely?
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”