The Guys not talking about Guy Stuff Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Best regular shaving option?

At the Barbar, hot towels, the whole works
No votes
Safety razor
17%
cartridge razor
25%
Blade Razor
17%
Straight Edge Razor
8%
I never, ever shave my face
33%

Total votes: 12

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:22 pm

Never. [...] I think its a disgusting habit
Agreed on these parts (though I find "digusting" to be a bit harsh). I don't think I've ever heard a guy do that, but maybe I just don't notice.

The closest thing I can think of is when people try to drag in others so it's not like them alone are confronting you. "I was talking to <person> about <thing>, and we want you to stop <whatever>". Usually it's not at all the same, but that lead-in with "<thing>" can sometimes be overly long.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:23 am

I have a feeling, zero, that Froth was referring to the disgusting habit being discussed before Kimmie let slip her little manipulating conversations trick.

Kimmie, first of all, guys don't talk about stuff, so they don't need clever schemes to make girls talk. Secondly, even if a guy is particularly talkative, all he needs to do is drop a vague mention of the subject to a girl to get an hour long, speedily delivered rant, ranging in decibel levels from high to extremely high, covering pretty much every topic remotely related to the original subject, which would then be followed up by about 3-4 emails in essay format with afterthoughts on the whole thing.

Froth
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Froth » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:17 am

My bad. I was trying to make response of Zero's post and couldnt do it. No wonder.

As far as the tricks to get people to talk about what you want to talk about. I dont thing Ive ever had that problem. Of course its rare that I want to get a girl to talk about something specific. Im fine with meaningless conversations most the time. But even when I do, I just kind of follow the flow of the conversation and then bring it up when the time seems right. Its really not that hard.

But Im really non confrontational by nature. Ive only ever been in a fight one in my life with a girl. And you can hardly call it a fight, its just the closest thing to one.

But if I want to bring something up, I know how to make it a delicate subject and not have a fight about it. Usually I can convince the girl that whatever problem is brought up, its her fault the relationship isnt as swell as it could be. And then I have to explain why Im at fault ALSO so that she doesnt feel as bad. haha. Is that manipulative? I like to think of myself as really good at solving problems in relationships, and be able to leave on good terms. Course, kind of screwed up that last one when I told her to F off. But it was a stupid reason to break up, and I still struggle to understand it. Were cool now though.
*Insert hilariously accurate quote about the way the world works and a tad sexist about woman, that 99.9% of the forum wont laugh at, but Ill rofl for hours at*

such is me and my humor.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:07 am

Oh I hate to admit it , but shure I can be manipulative when I want something bad enough. Damn i'm awfull!! 8)

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:19 pm

When it comes to interesting ways to bring up a topic, I can really go both ways. In my admittedly passive-aggressive nature I tend to drag things on through a period of conversations to get a "feel" for how my topic will go over before actually bringing it up. However, I can go the complete opposite direction and be completely up front and generally blunt and just bring something up out of nowhere, "Hey, so you wanna have anal sex? Cause I'm into that." Of course, even then I purposefully overexaggerate to get a feel for my intended topic before I get there.

So, I guess I proved myself wrong in that whole diatribe. Point being, yes, at least some guys are that neurotic.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:54 pm

I've got a question for all the guys (and girls can comment too if you have personal experiences). Do you actually leave the toilet seat up or do you find the claim that we all do that to be an unfair stereotype?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:38 pm

The honest truth, and I know I'm an outlier, is that when using a conventional toilet I prefer to sit down. Only if it's clean, obviously. If I'm in a stank hole I'll treat it like a stank hole, but otherwise I'll just sit and avoid the mess every other guy on the planet seems to enjoy leaving everywhere. I don't want to clean that, I'm just as lazy as they are.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:06 pm

I always close it because of toothbrushes.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:50 pm

I always close it because of toothbrushes.
Me too! Our new bathroom has a built in toothbrush holder really near the toilet - Paul says I'm paranoid for not wanting to use it. But the POO GERMS! The POO GERMS!!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:25 pm

MythBusters proved that toilet aerosols are nothing to scoff at. I even showed that episode to one of my classes once.

Anyway, in my family it's always been common practice to close the lid. Not because of a fear of germs, but why leave the toilet open if you're not using it?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:15 pm

I always, always close it, and I actually have to try in order to not close it. My mom always yelled at me growing up for leaving it up, so, now, voila.

Now, something I don't understand is what the big deal is. No matter what, someone will have to do additional actions involving the toilet seat. If a guy follows proper etiquette, he'll have to shut it when finished. This is equal to one unit of tMu (toilet movement--unnecessary). If he doesn't put it down, the girl will have to use one tMu. Even worse, if it was put down at the end of the last session, the guy will have to use two tMu. So the compromise of the girl putting it down prior to use and the guy putting it up prior to use is really the most efficient and fair way to proceed.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:17 pm

Do you actually leave the toilet seat up or do you find the claim that we all do that to be an unfair stereotype?
I always put it down when it's in a place I consider 'home'. Even when I'm only living with guys; even when I'm the only one home for days. I feel uneasy about putting it down somewhere else where it was previously up, like I'm trying to change how they do things or something. But I usually do anyway.
MythBusters proved
o u.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Now, something I don't understand is what the big deal is. No matter what, someone will have to do additional actions involving the toilet seat. If a guy follows proper etiquette, he'll have to shut it when finished. This is equal to one unit of tMu (toilet movement--unnecessary). If he doesn't put it down, the girl will have to use one tMu. Even worse, if it was put down at the end of the last session, the guy will have to use two tMu. So the compromise of the girl putting it down prior to use and the guy putting it up prior to use is really the most efficient and fair way to proceed.
It's a HUGE deal when you're 7 months pregnant and toddle to the bathroom in the middle of the night and have to wake up your husband to pull you out because he didn't put the seat down.

(in Brian's defense, that was probably the only time he hasn't put the seat down in our entire marriage. It was poor timing, that's for sure.)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:57 pm

It's a HUGE deal when you're 7 months pregnant and toddle to the bathroom in the middle of the night and have to wake up your husband to pull you out because he didn't put the seat down.

(in Brian's defense, that was probably the only time he hasn't put the seat down in our entire marriage. It was poor timing, that's for sure.)
If every girl who ever used every bathroom I ever had used previously was 7 months pregnant, I would be sure to put the seat down.

However, this was not part of the original problem.

Row--row.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:40 am

I always close the lid. I always have. I was actually got yelled at by a girl for closing the lid. She had to go really bad. Went running into the bathroom. Obviously wasn't paying attention because she proceeded to pee all over the lid and herself. I thought it was pretty funny. She did not share this sentiment.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:30 am

Why have a lid on something if you're not going to close it? My parents taught me to always close the lid, so I always have.
The enemy's fly is down.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:07 am

Are we talking about the toilet seat or the lid?

I always close the lid. I'm afraid that something from the cabinet above will fall in while I'm taking stuff out. Plus, I don't like seeing the water even if it is clean.

I hate it when people don't close the seat, but I don't really think it matters all that much.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:53 am

I always close the lid. I always have. I was actually got yelled at by a girl for closing the lid. She had to go really bad. Went running into the bathroom. Obviously wasn't paying attention because she proceeded to pee all over the lid and herself. I thought it was pretty funny. She did not share this sentiment.

That was the funniest thing I read all day.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 pm

My boyfriend used to leave it up, which I found slightly annoying but not bad enough to really comment on. I was kind of figuring like Mich said, either way one of us was going to have to have a tMu.

However, one day he connected in his head the cats drinking from the toilet with the piles of cat puke we were cleaning, and we both suddenly became very, very conscientious about closing the entire lid.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:09 pm

However, one day he connected in his head the cats drinking from the toilet with the piles of cat puke we were cleaning, and we both suddenly became very, very conscientious about closing the entire lid.
This is the other reason. He likes to jump up onto it, open or not, and it was especially dangerous when he was a tiny kitten.

Row--row.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:20 pm

It depends where i'm at, upstairs at home thats the Girls domain, its too clean and prissy up there! downstairs or in the shop ,I get pissed if someone leaves the seat down, with my destroyed spine and me being so damn tall its actually a problem to lift it at times! :x

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Mich has highlighted precisely why this whole toilet seat issue is a typical woman irrationality. Effort in puting seat up = effort in putting seat down. In fact, it's fair to say putting the seat up requires an ever so slight increase in effort over putting it down. Plus, men only leave the seat up about 3 or 4 times out of 5 visits to the toilet, so it's not even every time!

Women need to stop f****** complaining about so much stuff.

Being gay would be fantastic.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:50 pm

But didn't you just admit guys are to lazy to just put the lid down.
The password is "guilty"

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:52 pm

I guess he did.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Yuh-uh, but we don't complain about the other not putting it up for us, Ms Irrationally Anonymous.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:19 pm

It's not so much about being "lazy" as it is about being "fair." Why should we exert all the effort of moving the seat up and down while you exert none? It makes even less sense in a house of with a male majority, where the chances of it needed to be up is greater than the chances of it needed to be down, thereby making even more uTM if they must put it up and down every time they use the bathroom. And why exactly is the man who doesn't put the seat down lazy, while the woman trying to get out of not having to put the seat down isn't?

Plus, I don't buy the whole "but we fall in if you leave it up!" nonsense (I'm not just talking about you, Steph, I've heard numerous women make this claim). The solution is very simple: look at the toilet before you sit down. It's not as if guys don't have to look. Unless we feel like a) pissing on the seat and our feet and b) getting yelled out for getting it on the seat, floor, whathaveyou, we have to check to see if it's up or down.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:53 pm

look at the toilet before you sit down
My one argument against this is as follows: when it's late at night/super early in the morning, I wouldn't want to turn on the light and wake myself up any more than was necessary or else I'd be awake for hours trying to fall back asleep, at which point I'd need to get up for school. I could have asked my mom to buy a dim night light, I guess, but it just seemed like a kind gesture on my brothers' parts to leave the seat down would be more cost effective.

I fell in once but my brothers were pretty good about it with that one time being the exception. However, I also did have the problem of the lid being down and me having to go quite urgently and not being able to wait long enough to notice at first. That was...unpleasant but eh, nothing I wouldn't own up to.

Now that I have the bathroom to myself again (hallelujah and all that), the seat and the lid both go down, even though I keep my toothbrush in a case.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:21 pm

I've gotta say, I don't think I've ever failed to notice the position of the lid/seat before starting my business.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:01 am

look at the toilet before you sit down
My one argument against this is as follows: when it's late at night/super early in the morning, I wouldn't want to turn on the light and wake myself up any more than was necessary or else I'd be awake for hours trying to fall back asleep, at which point I'd need to get up for school. I could have asked my mom to buy a dim night light, I guess, but it just seemed like a kind gesture on my brothers' parts to leave the seat down would be more cost effective.

I fell in once but my brothers were pretty good about it with that one time being the exception. However, I also did have the problem of the lid being down and me having to go quite urgently and not being able to wait long enough to notice at first. That was...unpleasant but eh, nothing I wouldn't own up to.
Of course you realise this has nothing to do with the logic behind whether the seat should be up or not, correct? It's like running a red and blaming it on the fact that you failed to look at the traffic lights.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:04 am

Clearly, Jebus, if it's a woman going through the intersection, we should be smart enough to turn it green for her.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:16 am

I've gotta say, I don't think I've ever failed to notice the position of the lid/seat before starting my business.
Yes. This.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:19 am

Clearly, Jebus, if it's a woman going through the intersection, we should be smart enough to turn it green for her.
I still find the whole women being allowed to drive thing deeply illogical. And don't get me started on voting.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:51 pm

I should be in the kitchen :(
Yay, I'm a llama again!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:23 pm

While you're there, make me a sandwich. There's a good girl. :wink:
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:11 pm

And you couldn't feel the back of the toilet to see if the seat and/or lid were up before plopping down? Like I said, it's not as if guys don't have to check in that situation (we really don't just go by sonar), so why shouldn't the gals?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”