Is rape a weapon of war? The UN thinks so...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Is rape a weapon of war? The UN thinks so...

Postby lyons24000 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:53 am

This might be better in the Religion/Moral Philos. forum but...

I wake up this morning and on my email at yahoo! it says, "UN Security Council classifies rape as weapon of war."

Well, upon reviewing the video it says that they are considering it. Still, just as horrible and evil, right? Considering it! They're actually arguing in it's favor!

I'd paste a link but my computer is acting up. I bet you can just Google some keywords for some websites.

I was sick after reading that.
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:32 am

I think you have it backwards. They're NOT sanctioning it, they're say it is more than just a crime, when used as a means of demoralising and subduing an enemy in wartime.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:52 am

I don't know any more about it than what little you two have posted, but it does sound a little weird. Everybody knows rape is wrong, that's a no-brainer. If they were to classify it as a war crime would be one thing, but to say it's a weapon, to me, sounds like they're saying "well normally rape is a crime and is evil, but if your country's being invaded then your body is fair game."
The enemy's fly is down.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:03 am

But Doc, murder is a crime and is wrong, we don't say it's ok when it's used in war, we just acknowledge that killing is one of the principle ways in which war is fought. All this does is recognize that rape has reached horrifying proportions in some war zones and is undeniably being used as a weapon of war. To be honest, I'm a little surprised this wasn't already officially recognized.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:18 am

Well then, maybe I'll go join the army 'cause I sure as hell ain't getting any as a civilian.
The enemy's fly is down.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Yebra » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:29 am

Well then, maybe I'll go join the army 'cause I sure as hell ain't getting any as a civilian.
Hehe, rape is hilarious.

We'd call biological or nuclear weapons weapons of war, but we'd still agree they shouldn't be used by 'humane' armies. It's not condoning something to call it what it is.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby lyons24000 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:19 pm

I think you have it backwards. They're NOT sanctioning it, they're say it is more than just a crime, when used as a means of demoralising and subduing an enemy in wartime.
Perhaps I have it wrong, hmm. All I know is that it said "UN Classifies Rape as Weapon of War". When I listened to the video report they interviewed a commander of the UN Peacekeeping Soldiers who said that he agrees with the classification because "it is a very effective weapon. It is an adequate punishment for the villages, it is an adequate punishment for the people we're fighting, and it is an excellent demoralizing tool".

(I listened to it about 5:30 A.M. so some of the quote might be off but that is almost verbatim what I said)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:31 pm

That's why it's good to look for clarification.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7464462.stm
The document describes the deliberate use of rape as a tactic in war and a threat to international security.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said violence against women had reached "unspeakable proportions" in some societies recovering from conflict.
During the debate in the council, Mr Ban said: "Responding to this silent war against women and girls requires leadership at the national level."

"National authorities need to take the initiative to build comprehensive strategies while the UN needs to help build capacity and support national authorities and civil societies," he added.
It's better than a knee-jerk assumption that the UN has gone off the deep end.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby lyons24000 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:07 am

I actually believe that the United Nations went off the deep end immediately after their inception.

Why? Personal (not entirely religious) reasons.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Yebra » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:31 pm

The fact that anyone has religious objections to world government (arguably the ultimate way to secure lasting global peace) makes me depressed.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby lyons24000 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:44 pm

The fact that anyone has religious objections to world government (arguably the ultimate way to secure lasting global peace) makes me depressed.
Not if you believe in God's Kingdom. Daniel 2:44

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:52 am

Lyons, I would leave this alone if it were in the Religion section, but I just can't here.

You are completely entitled to your own religious beliefs. But I wholeheartedly believe in God's Kingdom, as you call it, and I couldn't disagree with you more. So all I'm asking is that you would please try to refrain from making giant, sweeping, generalizing comments which make yourself the mouthpiece for any person who ascribes to the same basic world view. At least in this forum. I'm not being snarky... I really would genuinely appreciate it.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby lyons24000 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:53 am

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend anybody with the comment and I certainly wasn't trying to say this applies to everyone. I know that not everyone who believes in God's Kingdom believes in it the same way I do.

I guess I could have worded it a little different but it was right before I went to bed for the night. Next time, I will be a little more thoughtful. I do try to also keep religious conversations in the religion thread. I will try not to let it happen again.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”