Books you want to buy next:

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

How often do you buy books?

Once a week (or more often)
No votes
Once a month
24%
Once a semester
12%
Whenever I can scrape together a few spare bucks.
29%
Whenever I need to give a gift
No votes
Once a year :(
No votes
buy? excuse me: libraries
35%

Total votes: 17

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Books you want to buy next:

Postby locke » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:38 am

What books are you planning on buying next? New or used, for any reason, what's on your shopping list radar?

Men at Arms hardcover
Feet of Clay hardcover
Jingo Hardcover
Fifth Elephant hardcover

(I'm on a sam vimes kick)

Neuropath by Scott R Bakkar
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:44 am

I voted for the last option, naturally. :)

However, I do buy books on occasion, usually if I want to support the author and want their book in my collection. I've held off lately because our bookshelves are crammed full and we don't really have room for more.

In the near future, I'll likely buy Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:49 am

I'm working on finishing my Bone and Sandman collections. I WOULD be buying the rest of the Dark Tower, if they had finished the matched set that I own.

*still angry*
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:34 pm

I got Kushiel's Justice in paperback last week. My next book purchase will probably be Mercy when it comes out in paperback unless something else catches my fancy before then.

And I didn't vote since none of your options really fit my sporadic book buying.
The enemy's fly is down.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:43 pm

I'm going out to buy Atlas Shrugged tomorrow, because, y'know, I like adding 10 pounds to my pack.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:47 pm

Once I'm done with Snow Crash, I'll be going on an Asimov kick, the Robot series and the second Foundation series (I've already read the first Foundation series.)

Nowadays, I buy books frequently enough to justify a Borders Rewards card...

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:03 pm

I don't buy many books because I use an eBook reader now and I LOVE IT. I've read so many books on it. I just finished Fahrenheit 451 (not a hard read, I finished it in a few hours) and am working on The Fountainhead now. Quite a large book... weighs in at 2000 pages on my eBook reader. The closest I've come to a book that size are the A Song of Ice and Fire series of books.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:14 pm

Part of the problem of travelling is I need new books every few days.

I've got through the first few of the Foundation series, some Naomi Klein, Sam Harris, book of Neil Gaiman short stories, probably a few more at the bottom of the bag. Just finished The Time Traveller's Wife. That thing should come with a warning on it.

I'll doubtless need to pick up some more at Sacramento airport in a few days. Or I could look for a swap thing and not try and pass of read books as gifts to family. *sigh* I'm losing all my scruples. The annoying thing is I can't justify buying hardcovers for either price or ease of portability so naturally they look the most appealing.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:39 pm

I'm going out to buy Atlas Shrugged tomorrow, because, y'know, I like adding 10 pounds to my pack.
Oooh, I like Rand. I have Atlas, Fountainhead, We the Living and Anthem.

I'll be going on an Asimov kick, the Robot series and the second Foundation series (I've already read the first Foundation series.)
Isn't there only one Foundation series? As in, the original trilogy and then prequels and sequels?

As to the original topic, I voted library although I very occasionally buy books (often cheap used, even more rarely new). I only have one fairly large bookcase. It was handmade for us as a wedding present and is really nice; about 5' wide and 4' tall (one whole shelf is Card). It's at capacity and I limit myself to what can fit in it. So, when I buy new books I make myself give away some. I only buy a book that I plan to reread often; otherwise I'll get it from the library.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:05 pm

Isn't there only one Foundation series? As in, the original trilogy and then prequels and sequels?
There's the original trilogy written by Asimov, and then there's another trilogy written by other dudes, which fits chronologically between Second Foundation and the two sequels that Asimov wrote.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:47 pm

I voted for the last option, naturally. :)

However, I do buy books on occasion, usually if I want to support the author and want their book in my collection. I've held off lately because our bookshelves are crammed full and we don't really have room for more.

In the near future, I'll likely buy Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.
I put that in just for you. :)

also I knew I would be scolded if I didn't mention libraries.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:02 am

I'll more than likely be buying Richard Matheson's Bid Time Return/Somewhere in Time in July, when it's re-released in paperback since I can't find the darn thing in our library system. If I can't figure out how to do an ILL through this system, that 'more than likely' will turn into a 'definitely.'

I found out about it doing a "If you you liked...then you'll like..." search, with Time Traveler's Wife as the input and BTR/SIT as the output.

A bad combination of events/moods has prompted me to spend money I shouldn't spend to buy books...
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:27 am

Have you seen the movie Somewhere in Time? It has Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. I have been subjected to it FAR too many times, not that it's not a decent movie...but my mom is OBSESSED with it. She actually has traveled to the Grand Hotel in Michigan where it takes place (from NY!).

After seeing I am Legend, I went on a small Matheson kick and read a few short story collections but I have actually yet to read the original IAL (tho my brother owns it) or BTR/SIT. He also wrote some of the most famous Twilight Zones of all time, like "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet".
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:59 am

Have you seen the movie Somewhere in Time? It has Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. I have been subjected to it FAR too many times, not that it's not a decent movie...but my mom is OBSESSED with it. She actually has traveled to the Grand Hotel in Michigan where it takes place (from NY!).
Ok, I admit it... I love that movie. It's just about the only thing I've ever liked Jane Seymour in. Every time I've seen it I end up in tears. Then again, the same can be said for Time Traveler's Wife. For that matter, me ending up in tears at the end of a story isn't exactly an unusual occurrence, so I guess it doesn't really say much. At any rate, total guilty pleasure.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 am

I don't dislike it by any means, but my view of it has been irreparably altered because of my kooky mom.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”