Introversion and Extroversion

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Introversion and Extroversion

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:36 am

What are you: an introvert or extrovert?

Do you ever find yourself wishing you were the opposite?
Do you tend to surround yourself with like-personalities, the opposite, or an even mix?

I am an introvert and for the longest time, certain people led me to believe there was something wrong with me because of it; it didn't help that I was also shy. Because it often makes people think I'm anti-social, I sometimes find myself thinking things would have been easier on me if I were an extrovert and liked being surrounded by tons of people.

I am actually friends with more extroverts than introverts, and the ones who know me are okay with me needing my space or not wanting to be exceedingly vocal in their presence.

[insert my typical disclaimer that I performed a search before posting and didn't bring anything up]

ETA:
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:09 am

I'm probably more introvert than extrovert, however I have traits from both. I'd RATHER spend my time by myself or with someone I cared about. I'd rather stay in on a Saturday night reading to someone or otherwise doing my own thing. However, I WILL go out if people wish me to but it depends on where and when. I won't go somewhere because people expect me to or want me to. I'll only go if I WANT to go. I'm the type of a person that will not answer the phone if I don't know the number but will call right back if they leave an important message.

Er.. so yeah. Summation: I'd rather do my own crap and I don't care what anyone else thinks. I have no problem doing things with other people though. Ignore the fact that I literally have no friends and spend time with no one besides my family. I'm not that pathetic, really... okay that's kind of pathetic. It's not that I can't make friends or that I'm not good with people, I just don't make an effort to find people to spend time with. Which I'm also fine with.

Okay I'm done talking now.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:52 am

Introvert, totally. I am usually okay with it. I would rather stay home on a Friday night and hang out with one of my close friends than go out. I don't really like being alone all the time, but I don't always have to talk or do anything.

It might be nice in my chosen profession to be a little more extroverted. Every new patient's room I walk into gives me a little bit of nervousness, but I am ok once I get past the door and say hello.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:42 am

I'm an introvert.

I'm actually an INFP

you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:45 am

I ride the line right between Introvert and Extrovert. At least, according to the Meyers-Briggs tests anyway.

Though, I am painfully shy most of the time. I feel like an introvert, though I'm capable of acting the part of an extrovert when I want, or need, to. I mean, I was the Executive Producer of the MOB. I had to be excited and exciting and interesting and interested. It was fun, but sometimes a drain. I don't always like having to deal with people.

However, I do have a hard time acting the extrovert in personal situations. This is a large part of why my ex-boyfriend's mother didn't like me. I was too shy. (Bitch.) I don't just meet someone and jump right into conversation. It takes a little bit of effort on their part to kind of draw me out.
Last edited by powerfulcheese04 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Kim

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:14 am

I was discussing this with a friend of mine the other day, because I've always felt that I ride the line, and most people I know say that I am extremely introverted. I find that I need to be around one or two people often, but I have a very hard time engaging with a group bigger than two or three others.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:23 am

I'm somewhat of an extrovert. Given the choice between spending time with friends and time alone, I'll choose the former, but I'm not likely to get desperately lonely on my own, or socialize with people just for the sake of it. My Jungian is ENTP, though I haven't been evaluated in months, so it's hard to say if that might have changed.

As you can tell by the change, I retook that test, as well as the Multiple Intelligences one. The shift from ENTP to ENTJ represents a few things that have changed pretty recently, and I'm still adjusting to them, really. In almost a self-fulfilling prophecy, it was this test's suggestion that I was somewhat extroverted that drove me to seek out more social interaction, a change that is reflected here.
Last edited by Janus%TheDoorman on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:09 pm

I used to be a total extrovert but it seems that now I'm on the fence. I think that my fairly recent traumatic experience had a major effect on my personality and how I interact with the world overall. I tend me to be a lot more wary of people and prefer to be myself more than I used to. I used to be an ESFJ and now I'm an ISFJ (but just barely):

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm most definitely an introvert. I have plenty of friends who fall into each category though. I don't find that I try to surround myself with one kind more than the other. I do sometimes wonder if I appear to be anti-social to extroverted people who don't know me very well though, and I suppose my introverted nature hasn't done me any favours when it comes to establishing relationships that go beyond just friendship, but I'm happy nonetheless.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:48 pm

apparently I'm and introvert. :p I hated the options on that damn test. it's not objective enough and most of the questions depend on the situation and don't have a good general answer.

otoh, my response suggest they nailed my overall profile :P

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:29 pm

I'm an extreme Extrovert. An ENFP to be specific:

(PS, that test is really not a very good one... if you're not familiar with MBTI testing and interested in it there are some really great sources that go a lot more in depth and aren't so subjective.)

I've always tended to gravitate towards people who are VERY different from me... most of my friends end up leaning more towards the introverted side of things. I really like that, actually. I feel like when I'm around someone who sees things through such a different perspective, working on such a different rhythm and needing such different things, I become a heck of a lot more balanced. I think it's really easy to get really hung up on your own perspective, at least for me. Being close to people on the other end of the spectrum forces me out of that and into seeing things within a different framework. I feel like I'm a much better, sharper person when I have those relationships around me.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:31 pm

That's what I did at the second edit, but that wasn's the only problem, apparently.
Last edited by VelvetElvis on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Virlomi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Psst. Try the BB code instead of the HTML one. :)

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Perhaps not so centered, however as locke said there weren't enough options for some questions.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:54 pm

Almost the exact same as locke... and, naturally, my opinion of the test was the same. Curse them! They know us too well.

My problem is that I really enjoy being the center of attention, which is why I enjoy singing for my friends' band (when they let me), and I really enjoy things that are spur-of-the-moment, even though they sometimes make me uncomfortable. Tests such as these don't allow for areas like that. I've never really enjoyed them.

Actually, I have found one personality test that was very well put together. It asked something like 200 questions, and many of them were very hard to read. Unfortunately, it seemed to put everyone as a True Neutral Level 2 Human Sorcerer. :p
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

BeansBrother
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Introversion and Extroversion

Postby BeansBrother » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:37 pm

What are you: an introvert or extrovert?

Do you ever find yourself wishing you were the opposite?
Do you tend to surround yourself with like-personalities, the opposite, or an even mix?

I am an introvert and for the longest time, certain people led me to believe there was something wrong with me because of it; it didn't help that I was also shy. Because it often makes people think I'm anti-social, I sometimes find myself thinking things would have been easier on me if I were an extrovert and liked being surrounded by tons of people.

I am actually friends with more extroverts than introverts, and the ones who know me are okay with me needing my space or not wanting to be exceedingly vocal in their presence.

[insert my typical disclaimer that I performed a search before posting and didn't bring anything up]
My turn to answer!

Well, I say that I am an introvert. I was actually so incredibly introverted as a young child that some people thought I had learning disabilities, or didn't know how to speak, because I did not talk to anyone at school for... well, between Kindergarten and first grade.

And no, I never feel I wish I was an extrovert. Because that means I would be dependent on people. I love being independent - I don't want to have to rely on ANYONE except myself.

Third question? Well, I have three best friends, and not many regular friends :?: Two of three are introverts like me, the other... well, let's just say he's... really extroverted... and weird.

Anyway, that's my answer!
“It might not be gravity that holds us to Earth, but rather an unknown force with identical properties.”-Sister Carlotta

“Only the Inquisition would know what to do with you—toast you nice and brown.”-Bean

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:09 pm

Same as Nomi! I already knew I was ISFJ though.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:58 pm

This was mine... nothing too extreme in any way... i am just that weird ^_- in eternal contradiction with myself. They say that when you see a Galician person in the middle of the stairs, you never know if he is going upstairs or downstairs. :lol:

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:07 pm

I'm an INFP, pretty consistently. Yay for INFPs! They're actually a bit rare on the ground in my department, although you'd think there'd be more of us in this profession.

I no longer answer ALL the questions in an introverted way on that test, however. Which is nice for me. Because growing up, I wasn't really a healthy introvert.

I was a PAINFULLY shy child and teenager. I would avoid groups at pretty much all cost. Actually, I took the MMPI-II when I was sixteen, and apparently my introversion score was off the charts -- which is a bit alarming in a teenager, since teens tend to skew on the MMPI-II towards extraverted. They were apparently wondering if I was eventually going to develop schizoid personality disorder. (I think avoidant personality disorder would've been far more accurate. I was just scared to death of people, and very lonely as a consequence, because I didn't WANT to be scared to death of people, I wanted to have more people in my life. But I couldn't admit that because it was embarrassing. Thus the misdiagnosed features.) And I got teased a lot, which was probably both a product of my introversion, and a cause (also, to quote Dead Like Me, because I tended to act like the Princess of Weird). It was interesting, in college, talking to the guy who'd written up my MMPI-II interpretation and who was surprised and pleased to here that, actually, my life hadn't turned out as the MMPI-II score would've predicted (no thanks to my interactions as a teen with the mental health system, by the way). In fact, I was holding down two highly social jobs and had friends in a brand new city.

Moving to college helped TONS. A huge part of the problem, I honestly think, was just the environment of my high school and home town, where it was hard to change my interactions due to people pegging me and me pegging myself. (Although, it did get slightly better in my junior and senior year.) Being in an environment with people who were more similar to me intellectually and philosophically helped a ton. However, my current personality didn't really develop, grow up, and settle until grad school. I'm a lot more secure now, and I like people a lot more. My old roommate and I were talking about this a couple of nights ago -- just the difference between me now and me five years ago. As she put it, "I mean, I don't know if other people saw it, but I was living with you, so I knew...You were just so shy, and you'd go out when I suggested it, but you'd have never suggested it yourself, and now you're like, "I am Kirsten, hear me roar!'"

The shyness and social anxiety/paranoia stuff still crop up now and then (e.g., skipping a week of class due to feeling like I'd f****** up a presentation), but on the whole, I'm much more of an extravert than I used to be, though I still place myself in the introvert camp. But nowadays when I tell people that I'm shy or introverted, they give me the looks of disbelief I used to give socially comfortably people who would tell me that they're shy. Also, I used to be the introvert who picked up extravert friends, now my somewhat more extraverted style picks up more introverted friends, which is kind of cool.

Part of it is the security of this setting, though. I'm a bit nervous that when I move I'll revert -- but somehow I doubt it. At least, not to the degree that I used to be, by any means. Which is good. Introversion as a personality style and characteristic is fine and wonderful and underappreciated. Social anxiety, however, sucks ass.
Last edited by starlooker on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:01 pm

Same as Nomi! I already knew I was ISFJ though.
Except that I'm just barely an Introvert (and I'm not entirely convinced that I truly am one), while you are pretty thoroughly one. Though, it's still very cool and kind of surprising that we're the same! :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:26 pm

I coulda told you I was an introvert; but I do wish I was more extraverted. Introversion is..lonely. And unfortunately in my past, trying to be etraverted is even lonelier.
I was just scared to death of people, and very lonely as a consequence, because I didn't WANT to be scared to death of people, I wanted to have more people in my life. But I couldn't admit that because it was embarrassing.) And I got teased a lot, which was probably both a product of my introversion, and a cause
Those words could've come straight out of my own mouth... Though, at 22, I don't think "was" would apply yet.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Funny, I thought I was more of an extrovert. I run around trying to do things, but I guess that doesn't necesarily make me an extrovert. That just means I'm full of energy.

Huh.

Well I'm more extroverted online at least, but then again most introverts are, it seems. Especially from seeing which one of you are introverts, and from what I remember of you.
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:06 pm

The enemy's fly is down.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:23 am

"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: Introversion and Extroversion

Postby zeroguy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:10 am

I'm an extreme extrovert! I just always feel the need to share with--

Haha, I can't keep typing that with a straight face. I'm an introvert, as is perhaps obvious. Keep to m'self, quiet, tend to not like other people. I see a lot of people saying that people think they're antisocial just because they're introverted; well, I am at least somewhat.

I don't think I've wanted to be extroverted, but being an "innie" can be a problem, as I seem to get along with people annoyingly well. I'm usually too kind (or spineless?) to tell people to go away for no reason other than I like to be alone, so I end up being around people more often than I'd like. Since I came to college and pretty much didn't know anyone, I've been doing farely well in keeping the people I know to a more comfortable level.

I very rarely get lonely (and I usually get a cool "last man alive" feeling with it, which I find interesting), and am seemingly often getting bothered by people. Such is one reason I tend to be up so late, as there's fewer people around.

I have a mix of friends on either side, but in the past it was mostly innies, I think. I seem to recall thinking/hearing that geeks tend to be more introverted, which would explain it partially, as I hung around a lot of tech/sciency people.

Eh, I have to sign up for this thing? Perhaps another day. I recall being an INTP the last time I took a Meyers-Briggs, but that was awhile ago...

Edit: Oh yeah, and the very fact that I'm saying all this and a lot of other stuff I say on pweb may appear to contradict the claims of introvertedness. Well, pweb is a bit different; I usually think/pretend I'm just talking to myself here.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:09 am

Add vain to my list as well. Even though thats a completely different scale, I feel like admitting, I'm vain. If I don't think I look nice, I won't wanna go out in the first place. At least I can admit my faults though :B
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Virlomi » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:33 am

Wow. This:
Explains so much.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:18 am

Introverted, by a LONG shot.

Last edited by BonitoDeMadrid on Thu May 01, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:00 am

I did the MBTI a while back and got INTP. Apparently this test agrees:

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:29 am

How is it that all the boys of pweb are the same? Freaky.
Mine:

I am more introverted the extroverted, but it has definitely been shifting over time. I have been told that introversion and extroversion aren't really about shy/not shy, they are more about where you get your energy from - being around people, or not.
I have times (more and more often) when I really get energy from people. I don't feel drained at all at the end of a night of being in charge of 18-20 teenagers at church, I have trouble going to bed because I have so much energy.

I'm not surprised to be a dreamer, though. :)

Edit: Hah! In the list of INFP careers, there it is: Librarian. I guess I am perfectly suited to be where I am.

Also, Kelly, I'm not surprised that you're the same as me and what else is on our career list? Editor.

We rule.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:54 am

Peculiar how many guys are intuitive and how many gals are sensible :D

Edit:
It's weird... i am a physicist, and still get better results at language :D also i love music... i just have not much talent to play instruments or sing, or the interest to follow modern groups :P
Last edited by jotabe on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:25 am

I like this test much better (though the "i am bothered by pollution" question seemed out of place). though i think the visual spatial is a little low, that's probably because they asked if I liked Geometry better than Algebra. they should have asked about calculus cause I like that best because you get to figure out these really cool formulas that tell you precisely how much volume or area an annoyingly irregular object is. :p

Musical was 30%, not sure why it's not included on the badge.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:33 am

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:08 pm

Clearly, Locke, because you suck at music. HAVE BETTER TASTE. :wink:

And on that line, I obviously suck at nature. That would explain my complete inability to ever draw trees. Even my stupid "ball on stick" trees look idiotic.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Pretty clear where my biggest strength is, though in recent months I've been trying to bring up my lower ones by learning guitar, spending time out and about in the park, forest and other places more "natural". Unless I'm misinterpreting the results, here.

Hmm. Looks like rounding myself out worked, to an extent. Taking this test, though, I think that self-image and perception play something of an over-large role, though that might be intentional. I don't know enough about psychology to determine that.
Last edited by Janus%TheDoorman on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Return to “Milagre Town Square”