Doctor Who (yarr, there be spoilers here!)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:34 am

I haven't seen the last two episodes yet, but:

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Anyone feel like whipping up a cuddly Dalek for a Tiny Pwebber?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat May 14, 2011 2:49 pm

OK, today's episode was just awesome.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat May 14, 2011 4:22 pm

It really kinda was. I was a little uncertain at the beginning, but I definitely enjoyed it.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sat May 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Seriously, I find it unconscionable that NO ONE in the entire crew or cast has ever taken CPR lessons. Just ONCE I'd like to see a show do it right. It's just as dramatic, and worth it on the odd chance someone tries to reproduce it by memory (this has happened with the Heimlich before).
Maybe it's supposed to look like Amy has no CPR training?
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun May 15, 2011 3:46 am

The trouble is that pretty much nobody in film does a convincing job of it, and hers was particularly appalling. Also, Rory totally should have kicked it even if she HAD been doing it right because when she stopped he was showing no change. Really, it all points to a director/writer who knows nothing about CPR beyond the existence of its dramatic value.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun May 15, 2011 4:33 am

Also, Rory who is a NURSE taught her the basics. I could forgive miscounting or somesuch, but he would have taught her the most important bits - which she did not do.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Sun May 15, 2011 10:57 am

Good thing none of it was real.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun May 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Good thing none of it was real.
Don't you know that Doctor Who is SRS BUSINESS?!

lol

But really I get upset because these sorts of portrayals do have a negative effect on how real people act. It takes a lot of effort to train it out of them in first aid courses, for example.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon May 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Okay, so I'm a total newbie here. I *finally* starting watching!

I have to say that Christopher Eccleston looks like a guy I know who is a total moody jerk. That said, I like him overall, considering he's the only Doctor I've seen so far. Then I read something that Captain Jack Harkness actor wrote about working with him on set. He said that Chris was really moody and grumpy and intense. I don't know if that's true or not but it was easy for me to picture because of the guy I know. :)

At first I wasn't sure what to think of Rose/Billie Piper. I'm somewhat prejudiced against the whole pretty, blonde, big-lipped type. She has grown on me a bit. Then I read that she was a pop star in Britian as a teenager. Weird.

Anyway, just finished episode nine of season one. So far, my favorite was episode eight, Father's Day. It almost made me cry.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 16, 2011 1:12 pm

In the first season, I really liked that one and Dalek. I think some of the ZOMGness of Dalek was lost on me since I didn't watch the old show before, but long-time fans must have been SO excited when those ear-lights came on in the dark. Knowing more about the Doctor's relationship to daleks makes the episode more poignant to me when I watch it now.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Tue May 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Christopher Eccleston is definitely a very intense Doctor. I think he did a good job, and the way he played the character really demonstrates how the Doctor's personalities change with every regeneration. My favorite episodes of that season were Bad Wolf and The Parting of the Ways.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue May 17, 2011 5:20 pm

---The Doctor's Wife---

I really liked this episode! Neil Gaiman did a good job of writing it. Though, it seems like Moffat is taking Doctor Who in a darker direction, and since it's kind of a family show, I hope he doesn't make it too scary for younger viewers. The "Kill Amy" scene was pretty scary!

What is with the multiple deaths of Rory? It seems like he "dies" every episode. I wonder if that'll be explained soon.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Tue May 17, 2011 8:23 pm

What is with the multiple deaths of Rory? It seems like he "dies" every episode. I wonder if that'll be explained soon.

Speculation verging on Potential Big Things?
My favorite Rory theory? He was meant to die/something to do with the crack wants him dead, so he's kind of existing in alive vs dead state and at every possibile juncture, Rory bites it. My other main theory (not entirely based off the fact Everett is also the last name of a major quantum theorist, but yes, that is my Main Clue) is that the main plots (ahem) involve the multiple worlds and relationships between timelines.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 am

My favorite Rory theory? He was meant to die/something to do with the crack wants him dead, so he's kind of existing in alive vs dead state and at every possibile juncture, Rory bites it.
I love this theory!

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sun May 29, 2011 2:32 am

...so, that was a bit weird. And despite how much I've been trying to analyse this series, I still didn't see it coming. Ah well.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun May 29, 2011 12:17 pm

So...

1) Does The Doctor have an unending supply of sonic screwdrivers or something? He gave one to his ganger, and then he still had one himself.

2) When the flipping flip flip did Amy become a ganger?

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon May 30, 2011 6:02 am

Presumably when she got take my the silence in the second episode - the Amy that was rescued from that time ship thingy was a ganger.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon May 30, 2011 8:49 am

Presumably when she got take my the silence in the second episode - the Amy that was rescued from that time ship thingy was a ganger.
But! But! She saw the sliding door+eyepatch lady while she was in that house with the Silence, just before she went into the room with pictures of herself. So she was a ganger before that.

AHHH..... Awesome and crazy.

I'm guessing there's some serious connection between the Silence and the Flesh.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 pm

Has anyone seen the trailer for next episode?

It would appear that whoever has kidnapped Amy is about to find themselves at the wrong end of an angry Timelord. The fact that they don't appear particularly bothered about the fact is interesting...

Also, this may be of interest. It's a bit odd: I thought the BBC had to use the Daleks every series or lose the rights to them?

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:57 pm

Oh s***!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Called it. I so totally called it from the moment they said that Amy's baby was Melody Pond., heck I called it when they first said she was pregnant.

Awesome, yet totally insane.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:17 pm

So... can we maybe assume Rory is the one River kills to end up in the Stormcage? For one it seems the church would have had no problem with her offing the Doctor. Two there was the repeated tying of Rory to the phrase, "a good man", and the Doctor pointing out that he needs so many rules because he's not a "good man", and of course, Moffat does seem to delight in offing Rory at every chance he gets:
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:22 am

I'm really quite upset the US is a week behind everyone else. Now that I'm out in the "real world" with disposable income and such, I've been trying to consume my media legally. I purchased this season on Zune.

Is it wrong to download from an illicit source something I've already paid for and would otherwise receive in seven days time?
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:29 am

And now I wish I would have waited. I didn't realize this was the where the break in the middle started...

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:56 am

Legal media consumption? I know your income is "disposable", but I'd sooner flush that disposable income down the toilet than give my money away like that. At least it's to Zune, but still!

Yeah, Melody Pond -> River Song... that never clicked for me. I imagine they meant it like that, but I just didn't put that much thought into it. I loved how the doctor reacted. Good stuff, though, and I can't wait for next season.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:33 pm

I can't wait for the second half of this season that should be airing next Saturday but isn't because Mr. Moffat is a meany.
FTFY

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Called it. I so totally called it from the moment they said that Amy's baby was Melody Pond., heck I called it when they first said she was pregnant.

I totally got it then too, with the name thing! Can't wait for more, the next episode title sounds very interesting...

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:29 am

I made a friend watch Doctor Who for the first time over the weekend and ended up going through all of last season with him. I had forgotten that the reason for the TARDIS exploding is still a mystery.

... Is it really still June? Go away, summer. I need more Doctor Who.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:33 am

I totally got it then too, with the name thing! Can't wait for more, the next episode title sounds very interesting...
For me it clicked when Rory protested that her name is actually Melody Williams. That's the first time I gave her name any real thought.

Overall it was a good episode. I kind of like bad-ass Rory the Roman. However, I don't really see how the Doctor "falls lower than ever before" or whatever River said. It's more like he just came to realize how he's been gradually falling for centuries.

And mid-season breaks really annoy me. What's the point of having seasons, especially short ones (ie less than 20 episodes) if you're going to split them in two?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:29 am

Probably so they get to do two big finale-like stories instead of one.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:05 am

Hey kids, just got caught up myself. Definitely liked this half-season a lot, and it's actually warming me up to Matt Smith. He's extremely good at the tiny quiet parts that make an episode poignant.

What I think is funny is that it all seemed to disregard that the Doctor has managed to completely EXTERMINATE the Daleks by this point, and that was kind of what 9 was all about, him recovering from being a warrior and being moody, and then 10 was kind of moving past it. Now 11 has forgotten that it happened at all? That's the only part that really bugged me.

Heck, the season finale even warmed me up to River Song a bit. Mostly because it made her Mary Sue-ness kind of logical.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:46 am

What I think is funny is that it all seemed to disregard that the Doctor has managed to completely EXTERMINATE the Daleks by this point, and that was kind of what 9 was all about, him recovering from being a warrior and being moody, and then 10 was kind of moving past it. Now 11 has forgotten that it happened at all? That's the only part that really bugged me.
The Daleks aren't really gone, remember? They came back in the WWII episode last season, but Steven Moffat said he won't be bringing them back this season because they're the "go-to villain" for the Doctor, and he wants to explore other monsters/bad guys. So technically, not exterminated.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 am

The Daleks aren't really gone, remember? They came back in the WWII episode last season, but Steven Moffat said he won't be bringing them back this season because they're the "go-to villain" for the Doctor, and he wants to explore other monsters/bad guys. So technically, not exterminated.
But he did kill them almost entirely several times, along with dealing with the Dalton Time Lords, fighting an army of the Masters, etc. I actually went back and realized I had the perfect moment to write EXTERMINATE in caps, which was why I wrote it. Of course they aren't really gone! They're worse than Ganon. They always come back.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Okay, just watched the first episode of Season 4, where Donna comes back. I see that's the episode when this thread started, so I read your comments. I hated Donna in the Bride episode, she was less annoying in this episode but I still don't like her much. Does she get better? I looked on IMDB and see that she is here for the whole season. My husband and I were bummed about that.

My favorite episodes so far were the last three of Season 3, with Master. Really good. So, that's all. Looking forward to being caught up!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Return to “Milagre Town Square”