Doctor Who (yarr, there be spoilers here!)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Doctor Who (yarr, there be spoilers here!)

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:34 pm

So... new ep. Donna Noble is back! A lot of people don't like her around here, because Catherine Tate has a well-known and highly irritating tv persona, but I haven't suffered through that and love Donna Noble.

I love how she actually yells at the Doctor.

Anyway. New ep. The little adipose things were very cute (especially the little dancing one) but the episode was... different from usual. Didn't have the usual climactic feel to it. It just sort of... ended. Not the strongest episode in the series, to be sure. But I LOVED when Donna and the Doctor finally spotted each other. I laughed all the way through that "conversation."

Looking forward to next week!

EDIT: How could I forget?! LOVED LOVED LOVED the twist at the end! I have really missed Rose, and when the Doomsday theme started playing I got CHILLS all over. I knew she was going to be back this season, but I didn't expect to see her right away!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:29 am

It was Rose! It was Rose! It was Rose!

- This is all Paul and I could say at the end. Seeing her brings back all the emotions of Bad Wolf Bay.

I was v. relieved that Donna Noble wasn't as annoying as when she was the bride, and it's great to have someone who isn't in love with the doctor for once. This season looks promising.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:34 am

Yes, I'm excited for this season. I already know it will be good. My sister has all sorts of crazy theories (which actually are pretty good), but I'll let y'all make your own. :)

I'm was confused at one part until my sister explained, "He's using the British meaning of 'mate' " ah.

Yeah, I liked the whole thing with how they met. (and weren't meeting.) I also liked Donna's grandfather.

It's true that the episode didn't have a climatic feeling, but I chalk that up to it being the first episode of the series. They are all like that. ... well, maybe not "Smith and Jones" so much. But really this episode was more of "How Donna meets back up with the Doctor and becomes a companion" rather than "Oh no! The world is in danger from aliens!!! Save us Doctor!"

And with the ending part, I only have one question... How will Donna's mother know which trash bin to look in??? :)
A signature so short, it's
Slim

GodInYourEyes
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GodInYourEyes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:51 am

I love doctor who but I haven't seen any ep. since the end of season 1
:( I hope I can see all of them
Lost in the dark with only one light to guide us

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:24 pm

yeah. It was good, but had a way different feel. I listened to the "chain reaction" episode where she interviewed him, and it was cool, too.

I'm glad it's back. I can't wait for it to really be on TV instead of on Torrents.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:27 pm

I like how Donna yells at the Doctor too.

And I was excited about her mentioning Bahrain! When she's standing in the door of the Tardis with the Doctor holding her bags, she said " I don't have to get injections do I? My aunt Vi went to Bahrain and she...." At least I think she said Aunt Vi, but I know she definitely said Bahrain!

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season.
The wonder that keeps the stars apart

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:31 pm

She still annoys me to a certain extent, but less than she did the first time I saw her. The suitcases were amusing. I imagine I'll grow to like her a bit more as she develops more.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:44 am

I did not read ANYTHING here... however I just wished to say that I've been making my way through the Doctor Who episodes. Currently on the final episode of Series One. I'm sad though because I really, really like this doctor and I remember hearing that the Doctor changes. Why does he change? :(

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:23 am

Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 am

I did not read ANYTHING here... however I just wished to say that I've been making my way through the Doctor Who episodes. Currently on the final episode of Series One. I'm sad though because I really, really like this doctor and I remember hearing that the Doctor changes. Why does he change? :(
Originally because the guy who played the first Doctor wanted to retire, but they wanted to continue the show. So they made up the story that Time Lords can "regenerate" when they "die." They become new versions of themselves. So the Doctor regenerates into a new physical body and becomes a new person - but still the Doctor. Each actor plays the character a slightly different way, just because no one can ever play the exact same person.

Christopher Eccleston didn't want to be typecast, so he only agreed to one season. Don't worry, the Tenth Doctor is awesome too. This from someone who deeply resents characters she loves being replaced.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:21 pm

Hmm... okay. So I've watched the last episode, the christmas special, and episode 1 of Series Two. So far, I have to say, this Doctor isn't half bad! He is definitely different, but he does things that remind you of the old Doctor. I felt like he was trying too hard during the Christmas Special, but Episode 1 was a lot better. I approve. :)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:25 pm

Holy CARP!

Okay, some great lines in this episode (Mr. and Mrs Spartacus! lol!). Some great Roman touches. The boy was a bit old to be wearing the bulla around his neck, but I loved the painted walls and the Sibylline Oracles. The Sibylline Oracles were lost, so for all we know, it did contain a reference to a big blue police box!

Meanwhile, I've been to Pompeii and I've seen some of the plaster casts they made of the entombed bodies and it's a chilling and horrible sight. Watching the city be buried in ash didn't feel like just a sci-fi reenactment. I admit it, I cried. Plus, great performance by David Tennant and Catherine Tate.

Oh, and great fun with the language games! "Oh, you're Celtic." Heehee. The word they coined was "vulcanus," not "volcano," but if you accept the TARDIS translation circuit, I suppose you'd hear "volcano." Great fun. I liked it a lot better than last week's episode.

Oh! And they fiddled with the theme music again. Sort of Trans-Siberian Orchestra does Doctor Who. I like it, I think.

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:43 pm

I've never really seen a lot of Dr. Who but i wanted to comment that it's insanely awesome that Dr. Who has been around (in different incarnations and in different ways) for FOURTY FIVE YEARS.
Putting the P in Pweb since 2001

Slim
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Slim » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:24 am

Oh, yeah!!!! Great episode.

I had to keep reminding myself that the Sibylline Sisterhood isn't the same as the Sisterhood of Karn. I kept waiting for them to start whisper-chanting: "Sacred Flame! ... Sacred Fire! ..."

Odd prophecy about Donna. She's got something on her back?

My sister with the theories noticed a ton of stuff in this episode that she thought was really interesting. She wouldn't tell me though, but I guess I'll appreciate it more if I can find them myself.

I have another sister that is a Doctor Who fan. She's a Classical Studies major, so she really loved all the Roman stuff.
Slim

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Not much to say about this episode, but I still like Donna. Oh, and the weird Ood prophecy at the end when they played the Doomsday theme again. I am sure that song is going to come to haunt me again this year.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:22 am

All I really know about Dr. Who is that my sister and her friend have a plan to kidnap the doctor for their sweet lovins', and to somehow dispose of Rose. Should I be worried?

Slim
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Slim » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:34 pm

I found out what my sister was talking about. She was looking for the "repeated meme" for this season (like "bad wolf", "torchwood", "mr. saxon") and found a ton of stuff that repeats. They aren't in every episode, however, and some of the things are repeating from the first three seasons. Weird. I'm making a montage. Maybe I should put it on YouTube sometime?

Anyway, about last week's Ood Sphere, I really liked it. But it was one of those that the Doctor really didn't do anything. He was just there to explain what was going on. But still: really great episode.
Slim

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:46 am

I'm still a bit off...S4E01... I'll probably finish catching up tomorrow, but I'd just like to throw in with the rest: HOLY CRAP ROSE! YAY!

Also, not so sure about this new companion of his. I remember her from the second Christmas Special. She's a bit irritating... maybe she'll grow on me in the next two episodes.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Double posting!

Alright, I'm caught up. Great series. Really great. Can't wait for more. As has been said, the Ood prophecy was quite trippy.. and it was a really good episode. The "born with their brain in their hands" thing was really neat.

Oh, and the new intro music has this extra.. rockish flair to it in season 4 and I really, really like it. :D

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:08 am

I liked the Ood, it was good to see them back again. Donna is growing on me, I like that she's not in love with the Doctor (even though... gah... who wouldn't be?) and that she has more of a heart then was first let on. I'm totally excited for Martha's return in the next episode!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:43 am

This week's ep was a little silly, I thought. At first I thought we'd wandered into an episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures. Again, not much to report.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Slim » Mon May 05, 2008 10:50 pm

Well, looks like my sister's theory was wrong. She thought before the season began, that The Doctor would get cloned during the Sontaran story. I suppose it is still possible -- there is still time before the end of the season, but it looks doubtful. At least we were right that Martha would get cloned, but that was obvious from the trailer. Everyone knows that you need a lot of goo to make a clone. :)

I liked these stories. I especially liked the end of the first one: When UNIT saw the threat of the poison smoke, they started shooting it. I guess UNIT hasn't changed a bit has it? :)

Back on the Planet of the Ood one, I didn't realize it was the Doomsday theme playing until you pointed it out EL. I thought it was just the Doctor's theme, but you're right! I wonder if that means the song that must end soon is The Doctor's song of mourning for Rose, rather than his life song? Only time will tell.

Next episode should be interesting. My sister is worried -- she thinks it will be either really good, or really bad. She calmed down after she convinced herself that she probably isn't the Doctor's literal daughter. Either way, I think it will be interesting.
Slim

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue May 06, 2008 9:17 am

Could someone put in the text of this Ood prophecy - I forgot it?

Anyway, For the 'meme' hunter, surely it will be the BIG question of what is going on with Rose popping up in places (if anyone saw her in the second Sontaren episode?)

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue May 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Next episode should be interesting. My sister is worried -- she thinks it will be either really good, or really bad. She calmed down after she convinced herself that she probably isn't the Doctor's literal daughter. Either way, I think it will be interesting.
The actress who's playing his daughter is the actual daughter of Peter Davidson (5th Doctor).

Also, the Doctor has a granddaughter (she was the companion of the first one), so it may be his literal daughter.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Slim » Tue May 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Context for the Ood Prophecy (quoted only from memory):

Ood Sigma: "What about you Doctor Donna? Will you stay? There is room in the song for you, too."
The Doctor: "I... have got a song of my own, thanks."
Sigma: "I think your song must end soon."
Doctor: "Meaning?"
Sigma: "All songs must end"
*doomsday music plays here*

Yeah, my sister saw Rose in The Poison Sky. I had to watch it again, so she could point it out to me, I didn't notice. And if the Ood thing counts, that's the only thing that has been in every story. But there sure is a lot of other things that are repeated. Cool sounding stuff like "The Medusa Cascade," but also simple stuff like using just the word "sunshine" as a friendly insult. Anyway, we decided to put our montage on Youtube after this week's episode, so I'll give y'all a link when it's up.

I think she is likely his literal daughter, but that's why my sister got herself all worked up. I guess she doesn't want them to ruin that portion of the mystery of The Doctor.
Slim

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat May 10, 2008 1:26 pm

This weeks episode was AMAZING - is a little cheesy. I wonder how far along she is going to pop up... and I loved the idea of a seven day war!

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sat May 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Yeah, good episode this week. I totally saw her dieing at the end, but I was pleasantly surprised that they brought her back. :D

I wish they'd get rid of Donna Nobel. I hate her. HATE.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat May 10, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm the opposite- Donna is really growing on me. I loved that she independently figured out the numbers and that she summed up who the Doctor is in a few sentences. "Lots of running" heh.

On another note - can I make a request that in this thread we mention the title of the episode when discussing it. I know it says "Spoilers", but I come in here and then remember that I haven't watched the new one yet.
Since it's not actively aired in Canada or the States (I think), we're not all watching on the same day.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Slim » Tue May 13, 2008 9:14 pm

The Sci-Fi channel has Doctor Who, but it's a couple weeks behind Britain. But I don't have cable. So, yeah, I have to torrent it.

I like Donna. I think she's just how Tegan Jovanka should have been portrayed. It's the exact same -- woman appears on the TARDIS accidentally, is upset for quite a while, just wanting to go home. But after being home, actually chooses to join The Doctor for more adventures.

Unfortunately Tegan was often whiny and useless, but Donna is just the opposite. She's always helping the other characters, and excited for the adventure. Sure, she sometimes complains about The Doctor, but that's because she's human. That and she's not concerned about falling in love with The Doctor, like Rose and Martha. If there is only one reason why I like Donna, that's it there.

I put my videos on youtube. I couldn't put in all the repeating stuff we saw, otherwise it would take forever. And like I said, it might not be significant anyway, and they are just trying to throw us off track.

The Mystery of Doctor... Who?
Repetition

--Spoilers! The Doctor's Daughter--

At the end of watching it, my sister turned to me and said, "I was very disappointed."
"What? Did you want to complain?"
*nods*
:roll:

Yeah, it was great! 'course, she still could be Susan's mother, since I'm sure The Doctor's life is filled with paradoxes. but, anyway...

I like that the ship Jenny flies off in has circles all over the wall :)

I liked the literal application of the legend of The Source (The "breath of life" ) So, if it was the terraformer that brought Jenny back, does that mean it will bring back that one Hath? What was his name... ? Artax? :)
Slim

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue May 13, 2008 9:35 pm

The BEES. That bee thing is weird, isn't it? :P

Oh, and I was under the impression that the doctors daughter was brought back to life because.. well.. she's the doctors daughter. My first impression with the breath stuff was that it was more of that.. time stuff that the Tardis is powered on. Like, the stuff that took over Rose at the end of Season 1. NOT the terraforming gas.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue May 13, 2008 10:59 pm

Yeah, ok, I really don't like Donna Noble. She annoys the crap outta me.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Slim » Wed May 14, 2008 10:39 pm

--Doctor's Daughter--

That's what I thought at first -- that she regenerated, and it was the same type of gas The Doctor was breathing out. But if that's true, then why didn't she change her face? That's what I was confused about at first. Then I realized the gas was more greenish like the teraforming gas, rather than golden.

But, I suppose it still could be either way, since it's not like they explicitly say how she came back.
Slim

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Wed May 14, 2008 10:44 pm

Well, the reason the doctor had to change form was because he took on all of the time stuff from Rose and that killed him, forcing him to change forms. Who knows what small amounts of the gas can do? I mean, the Doctor did say that the Tardis brought them there to create his daughter, but if he hadn't gone there his daughter wouldn't have been created. (Woo, love paradox's!) I think the time stuff is more likely the reason she was brought back to life... the terraforming gas doesn't make any sense at all. Who knows how far the powers of the time stuff extend. :P

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu May 15, 2008 8:19 am

That's how he regenerated from nine to ten, but in the past, it just takes him dying to change bodies
It doesn't really make sense that she didn't change- but I can fanwank that it has something to do with her being a clone and not an actual time lord.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue May 20, 2008 1:21 pm

- The Unicorn and the Wasp-

I really, really liked this ep. It was a fun episode, which is nice. The thing I like about Dr. Who is the intermittant fun. It makes it easier to watch. I watch Battlestar Galactica and it just makes me stressed- no comic relief.
The comedy and the fun episodes in Dr. Who are great.

I need to read me some Agatha Christie.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”