Doctor Who (yarr, there be spoilers here!)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:12 pm

Okay, just watched the first episode of Season 4, where Donna comes back. I see that's the episode when this thread started, so I read your comments. I hated Donna in the Bride episode, she was less annoying in this episode but I still don't like her much. Does she get better? I looked on IMDB and see that she is here for the whole season. My husband and I were bummed about that.
She gets a little better by the end of the season and shows a bit of character development, to the point that it's kind of a stark contrast to how she was at the beginning of the season, but I still found her much more annoying than any other companion I've experienced. Reviews are generally mixed with her.

Love her old man, though.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Her father or her grandfather? The grandfather is who we met in the season premiere, right? Do we meet her father at some point too?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:01 pm

I honestly couldn't remember, so I just wrote "old man" :D. Her grandfather.

Row--row.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:02 pm

I never really cared for her, she always came off as annoying to me.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Her grandfather almost justifies her existence. Almost.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 am

I looked through this thread but didn't see any mention of the special episode "The Water of Mars", between seasons 4 and 5. Let me know if I missed it.

Anyway, SPOILERS!

I liked the idea of this episode overall, it reminded me of the beginning of the book, Red Mars. But the behavior of the Doctor towards the end, seemed really out of character for him. I chalked it up to depression and frustration over Donna and losing people, etc. He almost seemed like a child having a temper tantrum except he was ranting against time instead of parents. I don't know, I was frustrated with him. I haven't seen the next episode, The End of Time, so I don't know if it was setting him up for something in that.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:43 am

To me, The Waters of Mars is the climax of the Doctor's character arc in the new series. 9 was very angry, depressed, scared. Trying to come to grips with what the Time Lords had become in their war against the Daleks, what he had to do because of it, and the consequences thereof. Survivor's guilt is probably the best way to describe it. With the other Time
Lords gone, he feels like he should just disappear as well. 9's a lost more hesitant to intercede on a grand level. Compare his genuine amazement at things working out well in The Empty Child to how 10 acts right from the get go, playing with the Sycorax and ending Harriet Jones' career. 10 gets progressively more bold right up to The Waters of Mars where he decides to try and not just assume the duties the Time Lords once carried out as a civilization, safeguarding time and space, but actively rewriting it as he sees fit.

Spoilers for The End of Time and Series 5 and 6

In the End of Time, when the Time Lords actually do return, he's learned his lesson, and learned it hard. Not even the Time Lords can wield the sort of power they held without it corrupting them, and he's forced to seal them away again.

By series 5, the Doctor seems to have found a happy medium as just another force in the universe, safeguarding Earth and the innocent where he finds them, but everything's not as happy as it seems. This new isolation makes it difficult for him to form relationships. 10 mentioned that the physiological age barrier was difficult enough, but 11 is visibly hurt when Amy is willing to risk hers and the Doctor's death to save Rory, and the Dreamlord taunts him for it the whole way.

In series 6, it's been made even worse. Arguably his most personal relationship is with a woman who's only going to know him less and less as time goes on, and his decision to involve himself but on a very limited basis allows his enemies to make advances that cost not just him, but those closest to him, and the methods available to him only perpetuate conflict - the Pandorica Alliance and whoever Eye-Patch lady represents banding together to try and remove him from the equation.

How he'll resolve these issues is beyond me to say, but it's been made clear that he can't just continue on as he is.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:51 am

Out of curiosity, any Torchwood fans here watching "Miracle Day"?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:45 pm

I've watched the first two episodes of it so far. I haven't been overly impressed. The end of the first episode had that terrible helicopter/jeep beach chase scene that was like something out of a Michael Bay film, and the second episode has a very extended MacGyver wanna be scene on a plane that was just all too contrived.

The direction it has gone, I'm just not happy with. I don't like the writing and I don't like the actual production. It just isn't Torchwood to me.

I'll keep watching, just because I hate stopping in the middle of something.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:48 pm

We are rewatching the first half of Season Six in preparation for Saturday's mid-season premiere. So excited!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Out of curiosity, any Torchwood fans here watching "Miracle Day"?
It's okay so far. Doesn't seem very who-universe, though.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Yeah, I was saying to my brother that they seem to be downplaying some of the more fantastic elements of the Who/Torchwood universe. I think it's because they're trying to Americanize it, and the general American audience can be a bit iffy with things that are too overtly sci-fi. That's my theory, anyway.

But I love the premise. It's fascinating to look at the implications of a world where people can't die.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:52 am

The premise is quite interesting, just wish they hadn't Michael Bayed it...

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:46 pm

So? So? New Episode anyone?

...Frankly, I was kinda annoyed by it. I've never been the biggest fan of River Song, and she was at her most obnoxious in this episode.

But! Glad to have it back, looking forward to more episodes.

PS> If any of us ever want to have a super-fun-super-secret conversation, this is clearly the thread to have it in, considering the number of people who avoid it. :)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:54 pm

I wasn't sure what to make of the last episode. Considering the title of it (Let's Kill Hitler), there was a surprising amount of non-Hitler related plot. I mean, really, the entire episode could have taken place ANYWHERE else.

I hated that Melody girl.

Also, everyone who avoids this thread sucks! :P

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:21 pm

I actually really liked the episode. It was interesting to see River before she was the River we know now. I don't know if any of you watched Alex Kingston on the show ER but I found her incredibly annoying on that. My husband and I were just talking about how much more likeable she is as River Song.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:29 pm

I liked the episode, and I like River, even though she really is a Mary Sue character. I find the sheer confusion that is her history with the Doctor fascinating.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:31 pm

I find the sheer confusion that is her history with the Doctor fascinating.
Me too. I keep trying to piece it together.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:12 am

I wanted to know whether Hitler ever made it out of the closet they stuffed him in...
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:40 am

I just imagined Hitler coming out of the closet...

teehee. :lol:
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm sure that Hitler is one of the fixed points in history that can't be changed. I think that it rather added to the whole episode that it was called "Let's Kill Hitler" and there was no actual killing of Hitler.

I like River Song, and the confusion with her and the Doctor's story. I liked this episode a lot, not my favorites but it is definitely one of the great episodes of recent past. (I'm quite partial to "The Doctor's Wife" since I'm a bit of a Gaiman fan, and it was an amazing episode.)

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:44 am

I was mostly just annoyed with myself for not realizing who Mels was when she was introduced. I was expecting our next encounter with her to be when she was still rather young, temporally skipping over all of Melody's childhood caught me off guard.

So... doesn't the fact that River got her nickname because it was already her nickname constitute a paradox? Not nearly as big of one as the one from The Big Bang, but all the same. We should keep count.

And another big, ineffable mystery with the Silence and the Question. Great. Just as the loops around River and Melody show signs of beginning to close, we get a whole new set of paths this could go down. I swear they're making it up as they go along.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:22 am

I think it's cool thought that they planned River before Amy and Rory even came onto the show. Her first appearance was when the tenth doctor was still around with Donna. Granted, there were only a handful of episodes left with them but still, I thought it was cool.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:25 am

All right, so, presumably, the Silence arranged for the perfect weapon to kill the Doctor because he turned humanity against them.

However, if the Silence hadn't set out to turn Melody into that weapon, the Doctor may never have run across the Silence in the first place.

So, has the Doctor done something else to piss off the Silence that we haven't seen yet?

Or is the Silence just stupid?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:43 am

To me it kind of feels like all of the above, and that the writers have gotten a little lost. I sure hope they can sort out all the threads and paradoxes, but I suspect at least some of them are going to end up being handwaved away or just forgotten. Long plotlines can be fun, but if it's a choice between standalone eps and a "Lost" type situation, I'd prefer the standalones.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:01 am

I guess I don't mind the "lost" (in both sense of the words) plot lines because I have a terrible memory. So, unless someone reminds me, I don't remember that they were unresolved. I guess that's one benefit to the memory loss side effects of my meds. :)

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:36 am

So... doesn't the fact that River got her nickname because it was already her nickname constitute a paradox?
That bit did bug me a bit.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Re: Doctor Who (yarr, there be spoilers here!)

Postby Luet » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Season finale tonight! It seem like the season just started. Probably because of the mid-season break.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm excited, but nervous. I'm not a huge fan of River Song in general, and I feel like the end of the last episode was played like "Isn't this a shock!!??? River kills the Doctor!" when it's been kinda obvious. So I'm hoping that it's something totally different.

I was talking to someone recently about the Russell Davies years vs the Stephen Moffat years and I think that while Davies' weakness was individual episodes, his strength was season arcs that you don't see coming (Bees, Saxon, Bad Wolf), whereas Moffat is really good at individual episodes, but kinda hits you over the head with season arcs.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:40 pm

I finally got around to watching the last few episodes and I was highly, HIGHLY underwhelmed. That was it? Blah.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:21 pm

I was talking to someone recently about the Russell Davies years vs the Stephen Moffat years and I think that while Davies' weakness was individual episodes, his strength was season arcs that you don't see coming (Bees, Saxon, Bad Wolf), whereas Moffat is really good at individual episodes, but kinda hits you over the head with season arcs.
That is an excellent observation, dead on! The episodes this season have been AMAZING, but that finale and the story arc were very blah.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm rewatching the Eccleston season, forgot how much I loved his stupid face. A quote I found from him a long time ago:
My bony face is like a car crash. I haven't got good looks, just weird looks, enough to frighten the fiercest monster.
Anyway, also forgot how much I liked Mickey.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight would make an awesome Christmas episode.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:23 pm

The BBC has a separate show for that. It's called Merlin.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Just because Gaius is A doctor doesn't mean that he is THE Doctor. And Merlin is far too awkward about magic to be the Doctor :P
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”