Keloids

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Keloids

Postby Bevis » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:34 am

I get keloids. Keloid scarring is a genetic condition where a person's scar tissue does not stop growing when it covers a wound. The cells keep multiplying till whenever leaving a nasty, bubbly, overgrown scar that won't go away. Medical science doesn't have too much in the way of an explaination. Various treatments (none have I tried, only read about) seem to be hit & miss.

I've noticed that stimulants have an effect on my body's chemistry that supports keloid development. If I drink a Red Bull I can almost be certain to get a new bumpy scar. However, I can't find any sources confirming this.

I'm wondering if anyone else in PWEB land is familiar with keloid scarring & wether or not they've noticed a correlation between keloid growth and an intake of stimulants.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:41 am

i had an ex girlfriend that had that problem, the scarring that is. but she never had a problem with stimulants. i think that she was very careful though about getting scars, cuz i don't remember a single time that she was wounded.

my advice, don't drink red bull. the new scarring is simply the wings trying to grow.
Last edited by mr_thebrain on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ubernaustrum

big beans
Launchie
Launchie

Postby big beans » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:41 am

I want to see pictures.

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:46 am

You'll have to wait to see pictures of my own, big beans. If you want to see some really awful ones type keloids into google images.

Yes, mr_thebrain, avoiding Red Bull, coffee, etc would be the way to go. I don't see my schedule allowing for that anytime soon, unfortunately.
Last edited by Bevis on Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:48 am

You'll have to wait to see pictures of my own big beans.
seriously, i'm pretty sure no one wants to see those.
Ubernaustrum

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:50 am

Pictures and more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keloids

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:09 pm

Not really the same, but the mention of what causes it kinda made think of posting this. I have a rare(and i mean really rare) blood disorder called vasculitis that causes my blood vessels to rupture, leaving these nasty red marks, big ones called purporae and little ones calles petichiae, on my skin. From what my dermotologist told me, 99% of the time they dont know what causes it and they really have nothing in the way of treating it except with cortisone or dapsone(a treatment for leprosy). However, I noticed that when I ate or drank something containing aspartame, that artificial sweetener of much notoriety, the marks would flare up. So i have been abstaining from anything with this in it and my vasculitis seems to have all but vanished. I seem to have developed an allergy to aspartame, and its possible Bevis might have developed an allergy to whatever is in red bull or other stimulants such as caffeine.

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:06 pm

Everything I can find on caffeine allergies deals with it's similarities to myriad mental illnesses (including but not limited to ADD and dementia). Thanks for the suggestion, anyway, wigginboy. It's something I hadn't thought to look for before.

vendor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby vendor » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:12 pm

My wife has an allergy to sunlight when she takes Retin-A. She gets pustular psoriasis. Certain retinoids (vitamin A variants) can remove the symptoms and possibly cure it. It might be a solution for Keloids as well.

http://www.archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/co ... /121/5/632

Return to “Milagre Town Square”