Questions you've wondered about your fellow pwebbers

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:40 pm

:)
Pweb member since 2000

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Ela, where do you get your username from?

I only ask because there's this girl that browses my main forum occasionally, who goes by the name Ela(Pavela in chat), who goes to some University in Florida.

It'd be weird if you turned out to be the same person.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Cezen, have you read Speaker/Xenocide? Ela is a major character from those books.

I have "lattice degeneration", a thinning of the retina
I've got an uncle that didn't get lasik for that same exact reason, AFTER he'd taken a 1000-mile trip to get the surgery.
Well, I had take a 600-mile round trip for the surgery. So yeah, it sucked...but good to know I'm not alone. :)

Also, I dig Rand too. I don't think she's that unpopular around these parts.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Oh.
It's been a while since I've read those books.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:34 pm

I'm not a candidate for lasik because my pupils are too big. Now that I googled the side effects, I am no longer as disappointed about this/considering trying anyways...

Thanks Cezen, you've made me think of another question :P --how long has it been since you last read/re-read Ender's Game? What book series do you frequently re-read?
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:23 pm

It's probably been a couple years since I read EG and it's sequels. Maybe a bit longer for the Shadow series.

Other than OSC's series (Homecoming, Alvin, EG/ES), the only series that I have reread multiple times is the Foundation trilogy. Oh, and HP.

I am now adding Hunger Games to that. And I think I will eventually reread the Red Mars trilogy.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:36 pm

I re-read EG back in April or so, all the books. Quite enjoyed them all again. :)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:38 pm

It's actually been quite a few years since I've re-read any of the Ender/Shadow books. Other than Ender in Exile, I've read them all multiple times.

After I read the Lord of the Rings for the first time I felt utterly compelled to re-read it once a year for the next 4 years or so. Other series that I like to revisit are Dune, Foundation, and Hyperion. In general, I find that I re-read books less frequently lately because I keep coming across books that I haven't read before and would like to. I typically re-read when I'm between such times.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:42 pm

My guess is that its been..6 or 7 years since I've read EG or any non-recent sequel...

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:35 pm

That makes me a little happier. I read Atlas years ago, and am reading The Fountainhead now.
the Foundation trilogy
SO good!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:38 pm

It's probably been a good five or so years since I've read anything Ender related, I've been thinking of rereading it lately though.

I've read Harry Potter more times then I can remember, I also like to revisit Hitchhikers.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Hey, awesome to see all that, Psudo. I'm also going to throw out that I'm a little surprised that you're 29 but not surprised I'm surprised...if that makes any sense. I have auto-age adjustment that sets people at my age as default until corrected.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:02 pm

Megxers, your avatar reminds me of Billie Piper. Is that a picture of you?
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 pm

It is indeed Billie Piper. I am less blonde. Though I do have similar glasses. :P

I need to re-read the Foundation series, or well, pretty much all of the sci-fi classics that it has now been 7 or 8 years since I originally read them.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Ela, where do you get your username from?

I only ask because there's this girl that browses my main forum occasionally, who goes by the name Ela(Pavela in chat), who goes to some University in Florida.

It'd be weird if you turned out to be the same person.
Nope, I'm long past my college days, as you might tell from my user title. :P
Cezen, have you read Speaker/Xenocide? Ela is a major character from those books.

And that's where I took my username from. :)
Pweb member since 2000

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:42 am

Question for Young Val: What kind of action hero appeals most to a literary woman like yourself? I've always wondered how wide the gap is between pure, distilled machismo type action stars and the champions in true literature.
I'm a little surprised that you're 29 but not surprised I'm surprised...if that makes any sense. I have auto-age adjustment that sets people at my age as default until corrected.
People offline tend to assume I'm early 20s, and people online tend to assume I'm middle-aged. I guess you can't see my immaturity online nor my maturity off.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:22 am

That makes me a little happier. I read Atlas years ago, and am reading The Fountainhead now.
I would also suggest Anthem and We the Living, if you haven't read them. They are much smaller novels but quite powerful.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:54 am

Question for Young Val: What kind of action hero appeals most to a literary woman like yourself? I've always wondered how wide the gap is between pure, distilled machismo type action stars and the champions in true literature.
I'm not quite sure how to answer that--it's so subjective. In terms of true action heros on screen, I love loners, and Good Guys Who Do Bad Things For Good Reasons a la John Maclane (I LOVE Die Hard), Jason Bourne, and Jack Bauer (I should say that what elevates these examples is that the characters are so nuanced. I couldn't care less about heroes who blow things up indiscriminately. Character development is everything).

See also: Al Swearengen from Deadwood (couldn't care less about the "hero" of the series, Seth Bullock).

As far as literature goes, again, I can only offer so much objectively.

In my professional (and personal) opinion, the best heroes are flawed. I have no use for characters who are perfect or without fault. Boring.

Intelligence and a finely focused skillset are always attractive. The most dynamic characters to me, be they on the screen or in a book, are those with a complete range of experiences, a tangible past, and an indefinite set of futures. I want the stakes to be high, always, regardless of the real world importance of the choices being made.

In my opinion, the best action figures are intelligent, emotional (though not necessarily demonstrative), curious, and afraid.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:54 am

God! I love Deadwood!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:55 am

In my professional (and personal) opinion, the best heroes are flawed. I have no use for characters who are perfect or without fault. Boring.
Amen. Here's to the knights in dingy, beat-up, dented armor.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:11 pm

I think this is why I loved Veronica Mars so much (the character herself).

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:23 pm

I would also suggest Anthem and We the Living, if you haven't read them. They are much smaller novels but quite powerful.
I'll be sure to. I recently bought about a dozen books in one (extremely enjoyable) shopping spree, so it may be a while.

Incidentally, whenever I see Anthem coffee creamer in grocery stores, I wonder if there's some connection.
I love loners, and Good Guys Who Do Bad Things For Good Reasons a la John Maclane (I LOVE Die Hard), Jason Bourne, and Jack Bauer (I should say that what elevates these examples is that the characters are so nuanced. I couldn't care less about heroes who blow things up indiscriminately. Character development is everything)
[...]
the best heroes are flawed. I have no use for characters who are perfect or without fault. Boring.
[...]
In my opinion, the best action figures are intelligent, emotional (though not necessarily demonstrative), curious, and afraid.
Thank you! Great ideas, just the kind of answer I was looking for. And I agree all over the place.

I thought about suggesting Bourne as a smarter kind of action hero, but reconsidered; I wanted your examples demonstrating your opinion, not your opinions of my examples.

Harrison Ford said something similar about his portrayal of Indiana Jones, about how he didn't want him to be perfect but rather weakened, hurt, tired, often desperate, and at times defeated. Incidentally, Harrison Ford is awesome in virtually everything he touches.

In case you were wondering, the question idea spawned from a truly terrible example of empty machismo; The Expendables. Has some reasonably cool action sequences, but MAN ALIVE does the writing ache. I'm pretty sure Sylvester Stallone wrote it. I kept thinking, "If I ever write an adventure like this, how can I keep it from sucking like this?"

Now that I've gotten your untainted examples, and speaking of knights in dented armor, have you seen A Knight's Tale? If so, what do you think of it's protagonist on the depth-to-cardboard scale?

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm

It is indeed Billie Piper. I am less blonde. Though I do have similar glasses. :P
Ha, I knew it! Good choice, Billie's awesome.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:52 pm

I know how your name is supposed to be pronounced but this can't be helped: MR. PHEENY!...PHEE-HEE-HEE-HEENAY!...PHEENY![/BMW]
First, art. Everything and anything. I paint, air brush, body paint, illustrate, doodle, draw and sketch. I have plenty of art work on my Deviant Art page. Will have to set up a link in my profile then a link to my profile in my signature.
So...where is it? I've had enough of the whole patiently waiting thing.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Kimmie -- Do we get any details on the proposal or what the dress looks like? Huh? Or do we have to ask privately?

Ali -- how is it that you used to hate the Currently Playing thread and now you post in it fairly frequently?

Kelly -- how did your herb garden go? Still giving you delicious fresh herbs?

Jan & Paul -- Obviously, you are probably way too busy to post and possibly without serious Internet access, but whenever you have a chance -- how was the move? How'd Miss Ginny handle it?
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:03 pm

I know how your name is supposed to be pronounced but this can't be helped: MR. PHEENY!...PHEE-HEE-HEE-HEENAY!...PHEENY![/BMW]
I literally can't stop smiling at this. Mr. Feeny is half the reason for the naming of my Pheeny. Her name is technically short for Phoenix, since my first beardie died after a month, and she 'rose from the ashes'. But the name was also a shout out to Mr. Feeny (aka, voice of K.I.T.T.!).

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:20 pm

Ali -- how is it that you used to hate the Currently Playing thread and now you post in it fairly frequently?
I remember posting in there once, maybe twice, in recent memory. The recent one was because I couldn't think of any other way to get people to check out A. R. Rahman. My love for his music overcame my dislike for the thread, which I do still generally dislike.

Unless my imposter has been posting in there. I don't check it, so I wouldn't notice.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:36 pm

Well, I normally ignore the thread, so if you've posted in their twice, it probably seemed like a lot, because seeing your name on it makes me curious :)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Jan & Paul -- Obviously, you are probably way too busy to post and possibly without serious Internet access, but whenever you have a chance -- how was the move? How'd Miss Ginny handle it?
We have internet now! Hurrah!

The move went well. The apartment existed and everything. It's quite nice here. I miss everyone back home like crazy and it's very weird not knowing anyone in this city. The accents here are weird. Ginny handled it okay. She has had more temper tantrums then usual, but she's doing better now.

I am back. Too much pweb to catch up on!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:34 pm

First, art. Everything and anything. I paint, air brush, body paint, illustrate, doodle, draw and sketch. I have plenty of art work on my Deviant Art page. Will have to set up a link in my profile then a link to my profile in my signature.
Oooooh, I should make him put up the picture of orchids he drew for me... Phen, put up a link for your devart page!!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Oooooh, I should make him put up the picture of orchids he drew for me... Phen, put up a link for your devart page!!

Yes, do! Or I'll make Kinley eat your face again!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:36 pm

I literally can't stop smiling at this. Mr. Feeny is half the reason for the naming of my Pheeny.
I've been basically assuming this guy is some kind of lizard ever since I saw his username... and I even used to watch boy meets world a lot when I was a kid, so you've managed to make more of an impression than that has.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:17 pm

I literally can't stop smiling at this. Mr. Feeny is half the reason for the naming of my Pheeny. Her name is technically short for Phoenix, since my first beardie died after a month, and she 'rose from the ashes'. But the name was also a shout out to Mr. Feeny (aka, voice of K.I.T.T.!).
:mrgreen:

I don't think I knew that story before just now; that's really awesome on both fronts.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:49 am

Kelly -- how did your herb garden go? Still giving you delicious fresh herbs?
Sorry it's taken me so long to answer this!

My herb garden is still thriving!

Of the plants I started from seed, my basil and thyme are quite lovely! I recently repotted the basil and need to do so again, already. We've definitely harvested some of it, even though it's still very premature. The thyme is so pretty! I'm told it won't be ready to harvest until it's been growing well over a year, and I believe it! It's so tiny and delicate! We haven't tried any of that, yet. My greek oregano sadly did not make it past the initial sprouting stage. I blame this mostly on our cat, who knocked the pot over when there was nothing but little green dots poking out of the soil. Poor things just never recovered.

We bought three other seedlings, already started: cilantro, tarragon, and mint. My cilantro died a brutal, floppy death. We never got to harvest it. The mint and the tarragon, however, are flourishing and we use them liberally. I did notice on my way out the door this morning that my mint has started flowering. I probably need to pinch those off, when I get home.

I really can't wait until my basil is full grown! I also want to add rosemary to the little garden, and try my hand at cilantro again. Of course, my windowsill is already fully stocked, and if I take over another one that cat will be displeased...

Also, not an herb, but I finally succumbed to my long desire and bought a large pot of assorted succlents. I LOVE them. They are doing beautifully, and it makes me so cheerful to look at them!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Phenious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Phenious » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:57 pm

Ok ok, give me a moment.
http://drakeintentions.deviantart.com/
There's my deviantart page. I'm sorry my love but I don't have that painting on my page. You have the only copy.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”