Questions you've wondered about your fellow pwebbers

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:51 am

It's just time. When I joined pweb I was in my first year of my BA. Six years is a long time.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:20 am

EL: What does it say, on the sign?
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:53 am

Oh, I've no idea. Something about Babylon, I think. Someone who used to be here looked it up once, but I can never remember.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:01 am

Hey, you're ruining it! I thought I was so clever, knowing the Babylon thing from the filename before it was changed.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:31 pm

I have a question - suminonA, shouldn't it be spelt suomynonA?

mazer
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Rackham

Postby mazer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:36 pm

I just got contacts to day and was wondering do you wear contacts glasses or neither?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:51 pm

I am very bitter about this topic. I wear glasses for pretty bad near-sightedness.

I can't wear contacts because I have an autoimmune reaction in which my eyes sees them as a foreign body to attack and forms a protein film on them (by the end of the day, it's like looking through a thick fog). I also tried to get lasik surgery and found out on the day of the surgery that I wasn't a candidate because I have "lattice degeneration", a thinning of the retina, which makes the retina more likely to tear or detach when the eyeball is put under the pressure necessary for surgery.

I don't really mind the glasses but my mother is crazy and drilled it into me growing up that pretty girls do not wear glasses...so it's been hard to get over that little hang up.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:21 pm

My near-sightedness is horrible, the worst in my family with the exception of my adopted cousin who is legally blind in one eye. I always was a glasses kid until middle school, when I switched to contacts, but soon missed being compared to Harry Potter (apparently the resemblance was quite uncanny) and switched back. However, years later, when I realized I still avoided rubbing my eyes, and would expect them to be lost somewhere in my eyelids after taking a nap, I realized I should just go contacts forever, at least for sanity's sake.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:30 pm

I wear glasses... And I love them!

Nomi, I'm sorry your mom got to you like that! I love my glasses! I think I'm less pretty without them.
-Kim

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:09 pm

Protip: If you're near-sighted, try taking your glasses off and looking through a pin-sized hole. At the right distance, the diffraction of light with correct your vision to near 20/20. While I don't recommend driving like this, it's a fun trick.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:17 pm

I first got glasses in grade 4, then contacts in grade 11, which I've worn pretty much constantly ever since.
I am really, really nearsighted. I can't function without my glasses or contacts.
I wear my contacts too often, though and I've gotten in trouble from the eye doctor. I need glasses that are actually nice (as opposed to ones I've had since grade 11, which was 10 years ago), then I'll actually wear them. Probably.

I would love, love LOVE to get laser eye surgery, but at $2000/eye, I totally can't afford it.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:18 pm

*points to the avatar* My vision is horrible. As in, one eye is 20/200 without glasses. I didn't even get glasses until high school, either. Anyway, I'm willing to bet a lot of us have horrible vision. That comes with the territory, I think.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:43 pm

my vision is pretty bad, I'm not blind without glasses but I can't do or see anything without them unless it's about two feet away. I don't wear glasses unless my contacts have irritated my eyes from wearing them too long (usually from working an extra long day because I forgot to bring my glasses and contact kit to work, which I usually keep in my bag with my laptop).

I don't like wearing glasses and never have. I did lose two pair of glasses on separate vacations by jumping into a lake with them on because I forgot to take them off. Contacts are sooooo much better, especially for swimming.

I got glasses in third grade and contacts just before ninth grade. my eyesight was pretty good up until third grade. bad eyes run in both sides of my family, virtually everyone has either contacts or glasses with very rare exceptions.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:22 pm

I wear glasses for both short and long distance, though my eyesight is fair even without them- I prefer wearing them, as it's less pressure on the eyes.

I'd like to do the Laser surgery, but I'm not old enough yet and don't have the money...
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:49 pm

I got glasses in third grade and contacts just before ninth grade. my eyesight was pretty good up until third grade.
Ages would be interesting to know. I got my glasses in first grade, and apparently, upon wearing them for the first time, remarked on how I had thought leaves were supposed to be fuzzy.

Row--row.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:34 am

I wore glasses from kindergarden until 5th grade. My eyes were never that bad to begin with.
The enemy's fly is down.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:23 am

Glasses from sometime in elementary or middle school until high school. Contacts for a year or two in high school, then back to glasses. I don't like how contacts feel, and I never really felt comfortable with them. And I always tried to adjust my glasses on my face, which is annoying when you're not wearing them.

I rather like them; I wouldn't really consider surgery.
I don't really mind the glasses but my mother is crazy and drilled it into me growing up that pretty girls do not wear glasses...so it's been hard to get over that little hang up.
Preposterous! There's a whole following of anime-obsessed fans who prefer girls with glasses.
Protip: If you're near-sighted, try taking your glasses off and looking through a pin-sized hole. At the right distance, the diffraction of light with correct your vision to near 20/20. While I don't recommend driving like this, it's a fun trick.
And you can sorta do it with your fingers. I don't think I've ever found this useful, but it is neat.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:39 am

The last time my vision was checked, I had 20/15 vision in both eyes. I'm not so sure it's that grand anymore, but it's certainly not bad enough that I have the need for glasses.

With that said, I don't have the need for glasses but I have worn them (non-prescription, of course) on occasion since 2000 for, um, fun.

Oh, and I typically, but not always, love glasses on guys.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:55 am

I have pretty bad vision also. Probably up near the 20/200 range. I've had glasses since I was probably 7 or 8. I don't really mind them, though I dislike having to depend on them. I've thought about contacts but, having worn glasses for so long, I think I look weird without glasses. Looking back, I can't believe some of the glasses I've worn. They started out big and nerdy like and slowly got smaller.

I've thought about lasik also, but they're not FIXING your eyes. Near-sightedness is where your eye is longer than it should be causing your retina to focus the light on the wrong part of the... hmm.. CCD in the inner eye (could be the other way around, not important). All lasik does is essentially warp or otherwise manipulate the skin outside the eye to act as the lenses in your glasses/contacts. I believe the other versions are where they place a tiny contact inside the eye or the older version which is attached outside the eye. In any case, it's just a temporary solution and will have to be done again if your eye changes any more.

Oh well. I'll live. :P

Borommakot_15
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Borommakot_15 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:08 am

I have worn glasses since I was 6 years old. My eyes are so bad (I don't remember the numbers) that I have to have my glasses special ordered. No 'one hour or less' at Lenscrafters for me.
PWeb 2.0 Join Date:
October 19 2002, 08:01

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:52 am

I got my glasses in first grade, and apparently, upon wearing them for the first time, remarked on how I had thought leaves were supposed to be fuzzy.
I got mine in 3rd grade, I think, but resisted wearing them regularly until 6th (when I literally passed my dad in the school hallway when he came to pick me up - didn't recognize him cuz I couldn't see his face). But I remember thinking the same thing when I first put on my glasses...the leaves are so sharp!

my vision is pretty bad, I'm not blind without glasses but I can't do or see anything without them unless it's about two feet away.
I'm about one foot til all is blurry. So, I typically read books without my glasses but that's about it. The 20/* chart, I believe, only goes up to 20/200 and I'm way off that chart. My prescription is -4.00 in both eyes but I know that people do have much worse than me because with lasik they can treat up to -8.00.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:53 am

I have perfect vision.

But I ALWAYS wanted glasses when I was younger! I knew that glasses meant that you couldn't see well, but I don't think I fully comprehended that needing glass meant you couldn't see well. It was a fanciful whim, and I confess that every now and then I still sort of wish I had glasses.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 am

When I was younger I was very jealous of my older and younger sisters needing glasses. Eventually, to shut me up, my mother bought me a pair of lens-less frames.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:37 am

My prescription is -4.00 in both eyes but I know that people do have much worse than me because with lasik they can treat up to -8.00.
-6.25 :(

Row--row.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:04 pm

I didn't realize that -4.00 was off the charts. So, apparently my vision is worse than I thought. :( -4.75 in the left, -5.25 in the right.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:09 pm

Mine's very weird. I've got -5.75 in one eye, and -1.25 in the other, and .... they switch. Every couple of years I need new glasses because my astigmatism has lessened in one eye and shot up in the other. A TA of mine, though, mentioned that he's at -9.25 in at least one eye.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:47 pm

mine are -5.25 and -7.50
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:53 pm

I've had glasses since the second grade and contacts since Junior year in high school.

I've got something like -7.25 in both eyes, along with a heavy astigmatism.

According to this chart, that puts me at something like... 20/1000?
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:26 pm

I got glasses in third grade and contacts in seventh grade. I actually just ordered a new pair of glasses, and they should be here next week.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:17 pm

I'm borderline for glasses, but since both my parents have dire need of glasses, I figure it's only a matter of time.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:15 pm

Why is it that every post by Peter's_Girl reads:

Not Found

The requested post was not found.

But they obviously contain SOMETHING because people occasionally quote her. Please, someone other than Peter's_Girl, answer this, because otherwise I won't be able to view the answer

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Because she wanted them erased and so erased them. Anything else is personal enough that it's her story to tell.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:20 pm

By the way, you'd be able to read a reply just fine.

She erased all posts from a certain date for personal reasons. She certainly isn't the first member to decide to do so, and I'm willing to bet she won't be the last.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:33 am

Not Found

The requested post was not found.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:01 am

I lucked out that a board crash took all of my posts like that that I can remember.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”