Questions you've wondered about your fellow pwebbers

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:30 pm

I of course remember you, we started the R22iaSM-G together.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:41 pm

When I was my most active here i was at the end of highschool. I've been out for probably seven years now (i can't believe i've been around pweb for seven years...) I actually was pretty good pals with otaku, and NG if anyone remembers him, and I are friends IRL.
Did your avatar used to be a Rastafarian or something, or am I just making up random things in my head again?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:12 pm

I have a question for everyone - Does anyone remember me or do I just look like some random rude newbie? lol
I remember your username, but I can't remember anything about who you are and what you do. :)

Why don't you enlighten us? :)
When I was my most active here i was at the end of highschool. I've been out for probably seven years now (i can't believe i've been around pweb for seven years...) I actually was pretty good pals with otaku, and NG if anyone remembers him, and I are friends IRL.

I also was known for the fact that I dated mostly members of the same sex, however, since I left and came back I've gotten married, had a daughter, moved around a lot, got a godson with autism who is my whole world, and a lot of other pretty big things. I'm really nowhere near the same person i used to be, but I remember everyone so well and am a little sad that no one probably remembers me at all.
Now that you remind me, I do remember that stuff from when you were here before.

Welcome back. :)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Der, I remember you. :D
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

thatguy1944
Soldier
Soldier

Postby thatguy1944 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:45 pm

I have questions...

Everyone:
How did you find this site?

What novel turned you on to the Bean/Enderverse?

What about that novel did you like?

How old were you when you read that novel?

Did it mean something to you the first time you read it? or did it take a few reads?

If you read EG first did you read EShadow or Speaker next?

I don't really need all of the questions answered, just trying to stir the pot some more.

Thatguy1944

P.S.
Eriador:
Why are you so angry?
(half joking, half genuinely curious)

-ih-
Seriously... just say ih (internal ha) from now on

because it never really is a laugh out loud...

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:52 pm

Aw yay, people remember me.

Now I'm not sure if that's good or bad... ;)
Putting the P in Pweb since 2001

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:09 pm

I helped build it with other frescopix forum alums.

Ender's Game

Everything, Card actually hooked me in the introduction and I read it in essentially a single sitting. pretty much ignoring the last two classes of the day (I was a HS freshman at the time, back in 1998 (hey this october will be the tenth anniversary since I first read EG, wow!) in order to read.

Did it mean something to you the first time you read it? or did it take a few reads?
Yeah I'd say it did. a lot. it helped me cope with a lot of things in my life and kinda picked me up and put me back on my feet. It's the story that made me realize I wanted to be a storyteller not a mechanical, chemical or materials Engineer. byebye MIT hello USC.

Shadow didn't yet exist, hell HJO v JL didn't yet exist. I read Speaker next. then Xenocide and children of the Mind, then plunged through most of Card's output for the next few years until I'd read almost everything. Heartfire and Enchanted were the OSC new releases at the time, iirc.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

thatguy1944
Soldier
Soldier

Postby thatguy1944 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:16 pm

i did buy heartfire at one point but i think i lost it... ih

i agree with the mezmerizing intro... for some reason it just made me want to finish the story i'm not sure why...

Thatguy1944

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:35 am

I remember you too, Der. Not sure if you remember me...I wasn't the biggest fan of Otaku but I certainly didn't have anything against you. You certainly have made a lot of changes in your life! I have two little half brothers (8 and 6) with Asperger's Syndrome so I know how challenging and wonderful kids with an autistic spectrum disorder can be. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:52 am

--Searched for an Ender's Game wiki (or internet encyclopedia, whatever would come first) to know more about the (impending) EG movie, and found this site.

--Ender's Game.

--Everything, basically; but more of all, the Battle Room scenes. I still try and imagine them in my mind sometimes.

--I don't really recall; about 14 or 15.

--I read the entire Shadw series afterwards, because I read that it's more like the original EG than the Speaker series, and liked it a lot.

I don't really need all of the questions answered, just trying to stir the pot some more.

--Well, at least you gave some questions that I can answer as well. =)
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:27 am

I remember NG. I also remember you, but didn't know you knew NG. I think I remember two things about you: the stoned kermit avatar,
I also was known for the fact that I dated mostly members of the same sex
...and this. I was going to ask about that, actually, but I didn't trust my memory enough, and that seems like an odd question to ask if I was just completely thinking of the wrong person.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:31 am

I remember you too, Der. Not sure if you remember me...I wasn't the biggest fan of Otaku but I certainly didn't have anything against you. You certainly have made a lot of changes in your life! I have two little half brothers (8 and 6) with Asperger's Syndrome so I know how challenging and wonderful kids with an autistic spectrum disorder can be. :)
You know, I never really knew otaku on the boards that much. I just kind of ignored him. But somehow we ended up talking on AIM and he really wasn't that bad. He was a nice guy with some superiority and anger issues, but overall he really did have a good heart.

Yeah, my godson is really special to me. It used to be difficult having him around my daughter because he would randomly get violent, but he was way too important to me to just toss aside because I suddenly had a kid of my own. he's doing really good now, though!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:45 am

I'm one of the several FrescoPictures kids that Craig/Alai directed over here.
Ender's Game, of course.
I read the novel in less than two hours. It was abso-f***ing-lutely amazing, in every way possible. Orson Scott Card can be credited with my obsession with speculative fiction and with solidifying my will to be a writer.
I read it a few days before my thirteenth birthday.
It's always been very close to my heart. It's been there when I've gone through a depressive slump or two. It's been there when I have a stylistic question for my own writing.
I couldn't get my hands of Ender's Shadow, yet, because it wasn't out in paperback. So, I blazed through the Speaker series and then got around to reading Ender's Shadow that Christmas (three and a half months after I read Ender's Game). I've been there to watch the rest of the Shadow series mature and even got to read the pre-published version of Crystal City and the Yazoo Queen (to find any errors).
Eriador:
Why are you so angry?
He's just mad that he can't sit at the grownup table, yet. If he'd just learn to eat his vegetables...

thatguy1944
Soldier
Soldier

Postby thatguy1944 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:05 am

What about names? usernames that is... (unless you want to go into the origins of your real name...)

Thatguy1944...

the thatguy part has no real significance, just me trying to be witty... but 1944 is a year... specifically the year that Normandy, France was invaded by the allies. D-Day as it is known, Operation Overlord was the mission's codename. I did a reasearch paper in 8th grade and i have found myself in love with World War II facts and events. 5 beach heads Gold, Sword, Juno, Utah, Omaha... Omaha was the deadliest beach. Tank support was planned but most of them were flooded upon landing on the beaches...

see... i just keep spilling out info... i can't help it. I won't say I know everything about WWII but i do know a lot...

more about the war in europe than the pacific ih

Thatguy1944

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:50 am

Jan- What's the name of your blog, and is it open for general consumption?

On a wider level... I'm curious how many of you blog on a regular basis? I didn't know Ali had one until I followed the link over in that internet thread... it made me wonder what other goodies I was missing out on.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:05 pm

I think it was the one I found before FrescoPix, but I preferred Fresco for some reason. My friend, Ferret_Guy (or something like that), liked P-Web more, though, so I always kind of hung around. Now Fresco is dead, so here I am.
Ender's Game. There weren't any Bean books when I first read it.
I read it because my brother loved it, and my brother doesn't read. He's a smart kid, and we talked about the book for hours afterward, but he just doesn't read much. However, I mostly liked it because the kids in the novel were just so much smarter than me, and I thought I was pretty damn smart, back then. Something about the writing seemed to flow in a way I couldn't figure out, which I loved. Then the twist was lovely, too, and one I didn't see coming at all, mostly because I hadn't put the book down since I had started it and hadn't had any time to think about it.
I think I was ten, because I had read it several times before seventh grade, which is when I found Fresco, and when Shadow came out.
It meant something, and I knew it was deep, but I couldn't figure it out. Honestly, I sat in the car (I finished it on a road trip) and just stared, trying to put it all together.
I read Speaker, as it was recommended by a teacher a few years after I had read the book. Shadow was a pleasant discovery when I was in Fred Meyer's, sittin' on the New Releases shelf. I bought it for my brother for Christmas.
What about names? usernames that is... (unless you want to go into the origins of your real name)
According to a fake-burnt piece of paper that is hung up in my old bedroom (at least I think my parents still have it there), my real name means "God's Peace," and that's why my parents picked it. If I had been a girl, I think they would have picked Jennifer. Or Rebecca. I find alternate-name origins interesting.

As for username, I was in sixth grade and I needed a fake name for signing up for Hotmail, so I asked myself what a cool-yet-ordinary first name was, and I decided Mitch. Then, for some reason, I dropped the T. And there you have it; a username that is often mistaken for a shortening of Michelle.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:39 pm

We have a blog. PM me if you're interested in reading and I'll send you the address!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Jan- What's the name of your blog, and is it open for general consumption?
It's not really... I'm not sad if people find it, but I don't advertise.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:18 pm

--How did you find this site?

The spot for Ami and the site in the back of Shadow of the Giant

--What novel turned you on to the Bean/Enderverse?

Technically, Ender's Shadow. I had read EG and loved it, but I was reading the opening of ES after the second time I'd read it, thinking EG and ES were the only books in the continuum, and Card mentioned that ES had developed a cult following even more than EG's actual sequels, and I was like, "OMG sequels?!"

--What about that novel did you like?

Sci-Fi that's based around the people in the story, rather than the over-arching drama of it (BSG, Firefly, EG vs. Star Wars, Star Trek) has become a big favorite of mine in recent years.

--How old were you when you read that novel?

13 when I read ES, I'd read EG when I was 9 or 10

--Did it mean something to you the first time you read it? or did it take a few reads?

EG was a sweet piece of Sci-Fi when I first read it, but ES was one of the first books I read when I was getting old enough to start questioning what I was reading, so there are some more memories tied to that initial read.

EG -> ES -> Speaker Series -> Shadow Series
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:58 pm

- How did you find this site?
There was an announcement on the front page of Hatrack when it pweb first opened and/or was about to open, which is how I came to register in the first day or two.

- What novel turned you on to the Bean/Enderverse?
Ender's Game.

- What about that novel did you like?
As with most of OSCs books, I loved the character development, how you really care about them. I think many of us related to being young and intelligent and feeling misunderstood by adults.

- How old were you when you read that novel?

- Did it mean something to you the first time you read it? or did it take a few reads?
The first time...it was my first bf's favorite book and he got me to read it, so I had kind of an extra reason to like it. BUT I also had a prejudice against sci fi before EG, so it's a big deal that it won me over. I've loved sci fi ever since.

- If you read EG first did you read EShadow or Speaker next?
I read Speaker next and then had to wait quite awhile for Xeno to even be WRITTEN which was torturous. Needless to say, this was about 17 years ago...wow, I'm old.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:59 pm

General Google search for Ender's Game/Ender movie.
Ender's Game
I actually wasn't much in to reading before this book however now I read nearly 100 pages a day, many times more. Someone on IRC said that the book Ender's Game had some Sci-Fi elements that was essentially moving at the speed of light + being away from significant bodies of mass = being outside of Earths perceived time. Sounded interesting to me so I got it at the Library and sped through it in about a day of on and off reading. Didn't actually buy the book, though, until about six months later when SOMEONE said I should and I did so to please them.
Hrm.. 17 probably.
The best part of the book, to me, was that it was the first time I experienced the "super fast reading of excitement" that you get during intense, fast paced action in books. The ending was so.. shocking to me.. I didn't see it coming. Made a good book great to me.
I read Ender's Game -> Speaker for the Dead -> Xenocide -> Children of the Mind -> Ender's Shadow -> Shadow of the Hegemon -> Shadow Puppets -> Shadow of the Giant. All those in about two weeks of near constant reading. I found that the most comfortable place for me to read for extended amounts of time was the bathtub so I filled it with pillows and went to town! After that I got my hands on First Meetings, the entire Alvin Maker series, OSC's book of short stories, Enchanted, and Wyrms.
What about names?
Name is Wil! Username is Wil! Nothing fancy about it. :'(

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:12 pm

So, it isn't short for anything or something like that? Interesting.

There. If I had thought of that when this thread had first been made, we would have had a lot more questions.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:58 pm

do you pronounce it with a tongue click at the end?

do I need to explain my name? I suppose I should have a blog but I never started one and didn't want to use a bloghosting site like livejournal. I post to forums instead. :p
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:03 pm

Legally my name is "Wil". Exactly like that. However, personally, my name is short for my grandfathers which was "Wilford". My parents, being the kind souls that they are, decided that a name such as that would be terrible on me and instead decided to shorten it to simply Wil. I thank them graciously for it.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:58 pm

What about names?
The username doesn't need to be explained; my real name comes from the Bible, and my middle names (I have about 3) also come from the Bible, or from dead grandfathers' names.
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do, we do!

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:02 am

-Googled "Ender's Game", and I'm still here 7 years later!

-Ender's game. I found it in a box of my dad's old books in the basement.

-OSC is a master at character development, as echoed by others.

-12. I got in trouble at school for reading it when we were supposed to be doing homework! :-)

-Speaker. That's the way real fans do it. ;-) Actually, I didn't even know there was more to the series but a friend at school saw me reading EG and told me about it.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:52 am

-A bit of a convoluted way... I was on the Young Writers forum on Hatrack, which then got shut down, so I moved to a forum called "Sleepless Whispers", started by the refugees from Hatrack.
Some of the Sleepless Whisperers were on a place called "Pweb" (Slim was at both places), so I checked it out and ended up liking it alot more. So I stayed and the rest is history.

-EG was lent to me by my boyfriend at the time (now ex) who loved OSC and told me I had to read it.
- It was my first foray into Sci-Fi (into any spec fic at all, really) and I was hooked. The characters, the speed of the writing, everything.

I liked it from the start. Once I got my own copy I read it a few more times.
I read them in the proper order. :)
What about names?
My screen name is my initials - J L (Janice Lynn) spelled out. I used to like it better then my real name, now it's just...me.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:38 pm

A question I just thought of: Does anybody else here (other than me) live outside of the U.S. (or Canada, for that matter; We can just call it "Western Hemisphere" and "Eastern Hemisphere", for that matter)? If so, where do you live?

Also, I remember there was a Grammar Nazi lurking around. Is he still here?
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do, we do!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:13 pm

It's interesting you assume the Grammer Nazi is male...

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:49 pm

Maybe Bonito assumes the Grammar Nazi is a God-like being, and so, in keeping with tradition, just uses the male pronoun.

Row--row.

thatguy1944
Soldier
Soldier

Postby thatguy1944 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Well of course everyone knows that it is physically impossible for a female to partake in Nazi traditions and such

Thatguy1944

Grammar Nazi
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Grammar Nazi » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:01 pm

The Grammar Nazi comes when He is called.

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:03 pm

dear grammer yahtzee,

no 1 ever tawt me no spellin. helpz.

Grammar Nazi
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Grammar Nazi » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:10 pm

The Grammar Nazi is not the Spelling Nazi, and has no issue with double-negatives in colloquial situations. The Grammar Nazi is not always a prescriptivist. The Grammar Nazi also enjoys Yahtzee.

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:13 pm

The Grammar Nazi is not the Spelling Nazi, and has no issue with double-negatives in colloquial situations. The Grammar Nazi is not always a prescriptivist. The Grammar Nazi also enjoys Yahtzee.
This really made me laugh.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”