in memorium: A Man for All Seasons

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

in memorium: A Man for All Seasons

Postby locke » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:59 am

A Man for all Seasons a play written by the great Robert Bolt whose film version was directed by Fred Zinneman won the academy award for best picture in 1966. almost More significantly, Paul Scofield won best actor for his incredible portrayal of Sir Thomas More in this film. Paul Scofield delivers what many consider to be one of the greatest performances of all time, in any film. It is a true landmark and a staggering achievement. It's not really for the young though. I watched this at 16 and liked it but didn't really get it. watched it again a year or two later and pretended to like it but kept falling asleep. then last year I caught it on TCM in passing and was mesmorized. I broke out my DVD the next week and watched it again and found it simply breathtaking. the film opened up in new ways to me the way great novels, such as Dune, tend to do when i revisit them again years later.

A Man for All Seasons is our Patron Saint's favorite film and here is what he says about it:
This is the reason stories are worth telling. They show us the cost of virtue, as well as the rewards. They let us live lives of such towering nobility that our own lives could never touch them. Robert Bolt's writing here is eloquent, almost (but not quite) to the point of being epigrammatic; his Thomas More is righteous without being self-righteous (or at least being aware of the possibility, and shunning it when he can). The family is complicated; the politics are clear; the period well evoked. And the performances, ah, they sing.
Paul Scofield passed away last week, which is what is prompting this posting and re-ignition of this 'club'

My favorite highlight from the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIaL0b5RBTg

the same bite in a larger context of the scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqReTJkjjg
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”