Subvocalizing

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Subvocalizing

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:38 am

http://www.livescience.com/technology/0 ... peech.html

Well, another component of Jane is coming together, with subvocal communications coming to the forefront in Audeo's new neckband which reads mental signals sent to the vocal chords. Not quite a jewel in the ear, but getting there.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

thatguy1944
Soldier
Soldier

Postby thatguy1944 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:26 pm

What exactly is subvocalizing? i thought that it was just moving your lips and tounge to from the words but without making any sound. am i right? or no?

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:45 pm

Actually, technically, it's just what you "hear" when you read silently to yourself. It doesn't necessarily involve moving your mouth (although there are involuntary reflexes which can be detected by sensors when attached). Naturally, moving your lips as you read is ALSO a form of sub-vocalization, but it is an extreme case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subvocalization
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:29 am

So if subvocalisation is soundless, how could Novinha hear Ender talking to Jane in order to get jealous about it?

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:41 am

try talking, and emphasising the motion of your mouth and such. it will make noise, but not enough to pick out what you're saying, but still noise.

Aesculapius
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Aesculapius » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:06 am

I thought it was all about making hafl-coherent sounds. Like saying the words, but not really saying it. Kinda like how on MSN we say things " R,U, PPL, G2G" things like that.

Making sounds, but not saying the actual words.......

Or am I wrong?
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
-Benjamin Franklin

Aesculapiüs

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:51 am

See the above link on subvocalization.

And so respond to earlier, Novinha wouldn't have been able to hear Ender unless he was moving way more muscles than he needed to. Not that it matters anyway.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Bryan Christopher Sawyer
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Bryan Christopher Sawyer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:52 pm

So if subvocalisation is soundless, how could Novinha hear Ender talking to Jane in order to get jealous about it?
This is a very good question. Because I have a bad habit of subvocalizing when I daydream I think I'll field this question.

Subvocalization happens when you are talking to yourself but not opening your mouth. Your silent, but your jaw is moving, and because you're a human you're also making facial expressons as if you're engaging in real speech. Along with those facial expressions is a distant stare, the type we all get when we're daydreaming.

I have a tendancy of talking to myself, especially when I'm thinkg about things I'll need to say when I'm in front of a crowd. I teach a lot of martial arts seminars. My father is a minister and he does the same thing, practicing his sermons or making certain political points. When I first read speaker for the dead I had to rush and tell my girlfriend about Jane and the subvocalization. She said "So you're not the only crazy one, you're hero is just as nuts?"

Guilty as charged.

Just like Novinha, my girlfriend hates it when I do that. (I think she looks like Novinha too.) Anyway, when I start doing it she nudges me and says "knock it off!".

Now she says "knock it off - you're not Ender!"

Good thing I don't have an ear piercing.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Good thing I don't have an ear piercing.
I think the jewel in his ear is supposed to be an implant, much like a hearing aid or a Bluetooth attachment. Although when I first read speaker I did entertain thoughts that maybe my earring could pick up radio frequencies.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”