LIES!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

LIES!

Postby Wil » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:05 am

So.. a new thread. Helping with the successful forward progression and activity of pweb. I've tried this before and it has yet to work. Maybe THIS ONE will work? *hint hint*

Lies! They seem to be so prevalent! Everyone lies now. For personal gain. For personal security. They lie out of fear; They lie to move themselves forward personally and professionally. Some delude themselves and say it's for others sakes. Is it? Can it be? Perhaps does it depend on the severity of the lie?

Now, obviously some lies are okay. Girls, you NEVER look fat in those pants! HONEST! Guys, you are the biggest I've ever seen! Size doesn't matter! HONEST!! (Hmm... ;)) Though, girls, you do have enough shoes and that ISN'T a lie. Seriously. No, really, stop buying shoes. Quit it!

So, we all lie. Lies are a part of life, I suppose. The small ones hardly matter. Telling someone that "it is going to be alright" when in all honesty you can't be sure of that yourself. But, what I'm talking about are the truly big ones. The "I didn't sleep with your hot sister" lies. (I never did, I swear on this book of books!) Is it fair to others to lie in order to save them from something else? It seems that more often than not lies come out and people end up hurting, or getting mad, or just generally cause problems. So, why lie in the first place?

How many big lies have you told? Was it to protect others? Did that work out the way you had hoped? Was it to a friend, a boyfriend, a lover, a co-worker, or that damn hobo who continuously asks for change and you continue to lie and say you have none (I mean, who in their right mind leaves the house without SOME form of cash!)?

Have you been lied to? Were their intentions in your best interest? Did you wish they hadn't lied? Was it easier to be lied to, at least for a time? Was it from a friend, a girlfriend, a mistress, a boss, or that damn driver who continues to tell you they have no spare change, often times saying nothing at all, rolling up windows, and looking away at that blank spot on the dash pretending you don't exist?

So, why the hell do we all lie?! Could we live without lies? Wouldn't it be easier to just NOT lie or deceive others? Or, at the very least, not lie to those when the situation involves the person you are planning on lying to?

Thread, GO! Be successful, little buddy! YOU CAN DO IT!

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:15 am

Just to boost your self-confidence:

I believe that lying can and should be avoided at all times (not that I manage it) UNLESS not doing so will cause serious harm to someone else. I can't remember the exact quote, but there is something in one of the Ender books where Jane is thinking about what Wang-Mu just did and says something about not telling a murderer where their victim is.

The alternative to lying is often to answer truthfully then explain. If they really want to know they will respect you more. If they are asking for money or something they will get bored and wander off.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:33 pm

I believe that lying can be beneficial in some ways. Yes, there are the small lies, which simply make life easier because they are intended to ease pointless fears over one's looks, or there are those that help reassure not only who you are helping, but yourself that everything will work out in the end and hopefully for the better.

Through my own experiences, I've been hurt by the lies of those who I have cared about. There has been much pain and sadness, but overall I have learned from this. I have grown in my own knowledge of how those around me act and why they do so. I have found new ways to convey my own point without directly stating it. I have become stronger by learning to move past these lies and realizing that the age old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is completely wrong. Words can hurt the worst, but I believe that when it heals, something new is created within oneself that allows such growth and strength, which I mentioned, to take place.

But truly I believe lies are beneficial because they aid my own self, because other than a very small group of people, I put my own happiness and well-being first. Although this may change when I become more independent, at the moment, lies make my life easier to navigate. What I'm willing to lie for illustrates, to me, what makes me happiest or what's worth not telling the truth for. At times, it's easier to just say "I'm going here" with no intentions of going there but knowing that it's the straightest path to what I want.

Lies can create a complete façade, under which many of my actions can go unnoticed, and therefore, unquestioned. In my own mind, I have justification for my actions, but it is hard to convey to others this because often it requires thought so far into the future that they would believe it is just an excuse, instead of planning ahead. Other times, what I believe to be moral or merely correct in my own mind does not correspond to that in others' minds. This creates conflict which can easily be avoided by employing a lie. It eases the other person's mind and makes the conflict much simpler for both.

I still strive not to lie to those people whom I care deeply about, but overall, I don't believe lying is necessarily a bad thing. It can be helpful, but then I suppose the question arises about when lies hurt others or are used to create destruction or misery. Maybe there are many types of lies, maybe it's completely situational.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:08 am

Hmm, it would appear in my attempts at ignoring this board and hoping my failed thread would just disappear have resulted in me missing replies!
Just to boost your self-confidence:
Jee, THANKS! ;)
The alternative to lying is often to answer truthfully then explain. If they really want to know they will respect you more. If they are asking for money or something they will get bored and wander off.
But it seems that more people would rather hear a lie than the truth. For many, the truth hurts more than a lie. It seems that people often lie because of that very same concept; it's easier than telling the truth and people would rather hear an easy lie than a hard truth.

Honestly, human., your entire post sounds like an exceptionally large explanation for what essentially amounts to the childish, immature "I lie because I know what's best for me and nobody else does" attitude.
I have become stronger by learning to move past these lies and realizing that the age old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is completely wrong. Words can hurt the worst, but I believe that when it heals, something new is created within oneself that allows such growth and strength, which I mentioned, to take place.
Not wrong, simply incomplete. You see, words are completely subjective and relative. It is all based upon truth and confidence. People dislike hearing the truth in some cases and when it is told to them the words have the ability to hurt them. In regards to words bassed upon opinions, such as telling someone they are ugly, only affects those that lack cofidence in their own appearance.

As you said, often times words that hurt allow growth. However, not all growth is positive. Sometimes telling someone they are excessive liars can result in two situations: (1) They begin to live their life in a way where they only lie as an effort to encourage others OR (2) They make up excuses to convince themselves they lie with good reason. Obviously the latter is not desireable.
at the moment, lies make my life easier to navigate. What I'm willing to lie for illustrates, to me, what makes me happiest or what's worth not telling the truth for. At times, it's easier to just say "I'm going here" with no intentions of going there but knowing that it's the straightest path to what I want.
A good example here would be a child with a bike. The childs parents may tell the child that they can not go outside the culdesac or can't go past certain houses on the street while riding their bike. The child, as a result, attempts to push the boundries and will lie or otherwise decieve the parents so they can go where they know they are not allowed. The child can not comprehend the parents wishes to keep the child safe. The child can not comprehend the idea of being stolen, getting hit by cars, or otherwise getting hurt where the parents can not get to the child quickly.
In my own mind, I have justification for my actions, but it is hard to convey to others this because often it requires thought so far into the future that they would believe it is just an excuse, instead of planning ahead.
I'm sure a murder's mind works in that very same way: In their own mind they can justify their killings, but it is hard to convey to others.

Perhaps taking a step back and thinking about why you have to lie to do what you wish to do is required. People that care for you normally don't apply boundries without having very good reasons. A father doesn't tell his teenage daughter that she can't go out on a date with a guy he's never met because he is trying to ruin her life, or make it hard for her to live. He does it because he wishes to protect his child; he worries about what could happen to her as he knows there are many bad guys out there. Instead of lying to this father and saying you're going to the movies with Cindy and Sharon to cover up your date, one obvious option is to bring the guy around and let the father get to know him before seeking a night date.
Other times, what I believe to be moral or merely correct in my own mind does not correspond to that in others' minds. This creates conflict which can easily be avoided by employing a lie. It eases the other person's mind and makes the conflict much simpler for both.
It really depends on the conflicting opinion in this case. Smoking, drugs, alchohol, sex? Really no reason to lie unless you're worried about how you'll look to someone else. Trying to keep face with someone over such matters is just another lie, and is, in my opinion, even worse than any other kind of lie. You should be truthful to yourself.

Other situations are already pretty much covered in the date example above.
I still strive not to lie to those people whom I care deeply about, but overall, I don't believe lying is necessarily a bad thing. It can be helpful, but then I suppose the question arises about when lies hurt others or are used to create destruction or misery. Maybe there are many types of lies, maybe it's completely situational.
Lying isn't bad, it depends on the reason, the intention, and the effect of the lie. Encouragement is often started with a lie; telling a beginning pianist that their playing sounds good when in all likelyhood it sounds horrid isn't a bad lie. Telling someone 'everything will be okay' is not a bad lie.

In situations where a lie and a truth will result in hurting someone either way, the truth is always better. In sitautions where telling the truth will hurt someone irreparably, a lie is always better. If telling someone the truth will hurt them but will hopefully help them as a result, if they can handle the truth, a truth is always better.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:43 am

One lie can all too easily escalate into an exponentially increasing web, as you attempt to justify your previous ones and prevent them being found out, so it inevitably becomes hurtful to someone, often as they find out you lied. Knowing someone lied to you can be hurtful in itself, no matter what it was about.

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:21 am

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Lying is wrong. Although addictive. Once you START lying, it's hard to stop. And if you do stop, you'll be caught up in a bunch of lies, and be stuck. It's happened, and I hate it.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:43 am

I lie quite often, to be honest... but not because i have the intention to deceive, quite the opposite! Often people won't believe the truth of what happens to me, so it's better to come up with more believable lies.
I have other reason, too. To be truthful, not everybody deserves the truth. At the very least, people who don't care about me, or people who could try to hurt me... it would be hazardous telling them the truth.
No, truth, as Dumbledore said, is a very powerful thing, and should be handled with care, and chose with care whom you tell it to. People i care for, that's the people i tell the truth to.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:23 pm

Lying. Bearing False Witness. If I was a religious man I would say that in light of all these lies about, we are about to be wiped from the Earth. Exodus records "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Against Thy Neighbour," meaning that we are not to tell stories we know to be false. This is a Commandment. For any God-Fearing human, in the Christian and Judaic religions, this means that to commit this sin is almost unforgivable. God has given us the gift of voice and we have spat on him by using it to further our own ends. The fact that there is so much lying going on around us only serves to piss God off, because his people, the ones who he gave the gift to are using this gift for evil and not for good.

I had to add the religious perspective because no one else really did. In most religions it is not acceptable to lie. I know for myself I have always lied about things. Little things, never anything stupid, but big enough to get me into trouble a few times. Although, a few times it has actually saved me.

I myself do not believe lying is necessarily evil. It should be avoided as the truth is definitely more powerful than lies. If, however, a lie is told and this lie results in good things happening, then this lie could not be bad. This could be in a hostage negotiation or diplomatic discussion. Sometimes small lies are helpful. But they must be carefully placed. You have to know when to lie, when it is appropriate, and when it is not. Most of the time it is not acceptable to lie. Try lying too much, no one will believe you after a while. (Boy Who Cried Wolf)

As Darth first mentioned, lying is addictive and once we get down that road it is hard to get off of. You see how easy it is to manipulate the facts in just the right way as to spin the story a certain way. Everyone believes you. Then you start lying more, telling different stories. Sometimes new stories will contradict older ones. People begin to lose faith in what you say and eventually tune you out. Your deceit seemed to win you friends, but in the end just pushed everyone away.

So don't just leave your lies lying around. Keep them hidden away until you need one, until telling one is the decider between life and death. The truth is better anyway, because that is what everyone needs to hear. No matter how bad it is, we should all hear the truth.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Lying. Bearing False Witness. If I was a religious man I would say that in light of all these lies about, we are about to be wiped from the Earth. Exodus records "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Against Thy Neighbour," meaning that we are not to tell stories we know to be false. This is a Commandment. For any God-Fearing human, in the Christian and Judaic religions, this means that to commit this sin is almost unforgivable. God has given us the gift of voice and we have spat on him by using it to further our own ends. The fact that there is so much lying going on around us only serves to piss God off, because his people, the ones who he gave the gift to are using this gift for evil and not for good.
If you were a religious man, you might be more familiar with grace.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:23 pm

I know I'm glad I don't worship that god.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm not sure I understand how the child and bike situation is applicable to the quote you pulled, Wil. I was referring to lying to people in general not necessarily those with authority, or those who believe they know (and may actually know better than my own self) what's best for me.

Plus, when I was learning to ride a bike, I was at an age where my parents' words were law, so I always stayed within their set limits. I even wore those goofy-looking elbow and knee pads. =D

I don't believe that lying is addictive, though. It's just, at some times, a simpler route. Often times vagueness/evasiveness works just as well. Also, I think that some more, what I would call, talented people can weave a web of lies perfectly and never lose trust or respect from those who listen to him, because there is never a vulnerable point in his story.

Anyway, I don't know much about how Christianity works now, but when I did, I'm pretty sure I was taught that God was fairly forgiving, especially after Jesus died to save everyone..

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:27 pm

No, truth, as Dumbledore said, is a very powerful thing, and should be handled with care, and chose with care whom you tell it to. People i care for, that's the people i tell the truth to.
Exact quote:
"The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution. However, I shall answer your questions unless I have a very good reason not to, in which case I beg you'll forgive me. I shall not, of course, lie."
He shall not, of course, lie. :)

I'm not sure I understand how the child and bike situation is applicable to the quote you pulled, Wil. I was referring to lying to people in general not necessarily those with authority, or those who believe they know (and may actually know better than my own self) what's best for me.
What you said reminded me of that bike situation. The child will lie, or find ways to do what they were told they shouldn't do. It is really expandable throughout life. The dating situation is just another bike situation. Or a married man lying and deceiving his wife when he cheats. Or a professional man lying about the books to get what he wants... more money.
Also, I think that some more, what I would call, talented people can weave a web of lies perfectly and never lose trust or respect from those who listen to him, because there is never a vulnerable point in his story.
That man is quite a sad man.

The Christian God is both forgiving and unforgiving. He is a God that will free an enslaved people but kill the first born child of those whom may not have not even directly taken part in the enslavement. He is a God that will save all the animals but drown nearly every living human. He'll commit the most merciful of acts and turn around and commit mass murder. He'll drive a single man to free an enslaved people, spend forty years bringing them to the promise land, and then forbid that person from entering. He isn't just forgiving, he is punishing. He isn't good nor bad, he's both at once. He is the alpha and the omega. He is everything and nothing. He has no equal, he has no opposite. So saying that he'll forgive people for lying is only as good as flipping a coin. ;)

Vergil
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Vergil » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:28 am

It really depends on your idea of Ethics.

For example, in the Kantian tradition (Immanuel Kant, German philosopher, transcendental turn), there are certain imperatives. The ones that must always be followed are negative, for example: Do not lie. But he never insists: You must always tell the truth.

An illustration: You are living in Nazi Germany, and you are hiding a Jew, named Joseph. The Nazis come by and ask you, "Is Joseph here?" You, ethically, cannot say no, but, you can tell them another truth, for example, "Well, I know he likes to eat at the diner down the street," or, "I know he has family in Munich." If these are truths, then you are not broken your ethical duty (Deontology), and you have protected your friend. All it takes is a little creativity.

Now, lying for personal gain...why would you do that anyway? It's like selling yourself. At least, the truth about yourself and the world you construct. And eventually, you might even forget what that world looked like, forgetting you are, outside of your own lies.
"We live, as we dream - alone..."

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:23 am

Wil, he promised not to lie to Harry. But to Harry only he promised that :lol:

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:43 am

I don't think Dumbledore ever lied. Perhaps not told the whole truth to, or never answered, but I do not recall him ever blatantly lying. Especially considering I remember watching this documentary on J.K. Rowling and she said something like "I think the truth is always better than a lie or a deception -- easier to deal with, easier to live with." :)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”