Crafty Craftiness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 am

I can't really take credit. First, I took the image from a painting that took its image from a wallpaper (that was inspired by a tv show). ;)

Second, I cheated.

I can't paint freehand for anything, and I do mean anything. But I wanted to paint this; I was going to offer it to someone, who ultimately expressed no interest in even looking at the picture of the painting, so I was extra motivated to work around this handicap. I put together two sheets of paper, to match the canvas in size, and drew it. Because I can mimic-draw. Then I laminated it.

And cut it up:

To outline, piece by piece. (This was a bitch. My paintbrushes are on their deathbed. The finest point brush I had was making swaths too wide, so I had to do a bunch of corrections on the fly.)

And filled it in:

Color by color:

Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:26 am

I don't think not free handing it is cheating at all. It's just another method.

I like it!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:21 am

I made Brian a pirate/renaissance shirt yesterday, since we're going to the Renaissance Festival again today and he hates his current shirt. It's ok, but I'm frustrated that it doesn't hang right at all. I know I should be happy since I did it without a pattern, I couldn't fit it on him while he was at work and I've never made one before. But I'm just frustrated with it! It should fit better, and I can't figure out why it doesn't. Grr.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:14 pm

I am Jill's complete frustration. Project is not cooperating and I'm running low on ideas to get around the issues.

It's not helping matters that the house is currently infested with midgets and their corresponding adults.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:21 pm

The wedding crafting as begun!

Here's a trial run of some paper flowers made out of book pages (used books David was planning to sell. Yes, I cut them up and forced them to submit to a hot glue gun. No, I don't feel guilty about it). These--or something like them--will be used in the centerpieces and other decorations.

you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm at work so all I can see are a bunch of little red x's, but I'm sure they're awesome. :)
The enemy's fly is down.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Those are amazing. I have some serious craft-envy. While any book abuse saddens me, I'm glad to see it put to such great art. I'll just pretend they were horrible pieces of literature that shouldn't be read anyway. Are you going to have other book-themed stuff at the wedding?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Those are lovely! They really fit with who you are in my imagination!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Awesome!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Beautiful, both in idea and execution.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:39 pm

I love them!!!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:44 pm

that's awesome, we went to a wedding earlier this year where someone had done that with newsprint. All the centerpieces at the reception were paper flowers, a mix of plain and dipped in pale purple wax (which you could still see through) All the flower things the groomsmen wear were those as well.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:47 pm

Okay. I'm still not planning on spilling the beans on what it is I'm making but I need some moral support and posting in here helps towards that end.

This may help give an idea of the scale. I know I've mentioned it's going to be 12'x12' more or less but here's an image.

That is not quite 8 ft high and a truncated 12 ft across. That means when I'm done with the two (of three but smoke detector got in the way of the last sheet there) up top, those take the place of the bottom three, I have to then add the last one to the bottom and put two more up on top.

I don't know if you followed that so I'll put it another way. That is not quite 2/3s of the final product.

Percentage-wise, I've completed 33% of it, in this stage of the project.

There are 6 stages, I've finished one and two (both took an hour or so apiece) and am now on three. Thus far, it's taken 4 hours over two days to finish that 33%. There's been a lot of down time in between because I was trying to do this at work but was having to work around so much. Circ time, shelving, scanning apps, programming, etc. I just decided to bring it home, pin it on the biggest clear (or soon to be...that was one of my map and photo walls) wall I could find, and get to work as best as I can.

This is ambitious. It's intimidating. It's super intimidating. I am under no obligation to finish it but would really like to, as soon as possible, for personal reasons. With that said, it'll be put up at work when it's done and getting to see that is a secondary reason I want to finish, despite not having to. Assuming I finish (no, no, I will finish), I will of course show you the finished product.

But basically, all I'm asking is to be allowed to come in here when I'm frustrated and not get any questions about what/why I'm doing.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:10 pm

I don't think I could commit to such a large project. You have my admiration.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks, Steph. :)

In an hour and 20 minutes, more or less finished two more blocks, putting me at roughly 55% done. I don't know if I should start outlining with Sharpie or shift the blocks first, finish drawing, and when all 9 are done, go through with the Sharpie. Probably that second plan. I need to make sure I can change things, move lines, etc. before making it slightly more permanent.

I'm so nervous it's going to look like s***. Scaling things has never been my strong-suit and right now, I'm getting lost in it and making errors.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:59 pm

I'm with stuff. You ambition is awesome. Vent any and all frustrations, but know that I am now intensely curious about this super-secret-mysterious project and will encourage its completion, if for no other reason than to satisfy that curiosity.

It will look amazing.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:08 am

Thanks! Seriously, encouragement is nice. This thing is toying with my mind, haha

Drawing is done on all nine blocks after 2.5 hours tonight, so that all that remains before I officially start the next stage is to go over the drawings with a Sharpie. This is technically not a necessary step but it will help with things later, so I'm pretending it is. The paper is now off the wall, since I will be taking the blocks back to work to utilize the table; I don't trust myself to keep a steady hand using the marker with the paper on the wall, even though I'm just tracing. The hope is to have tracing done by the end of business Saturday, so I can lug all that paper back home for the next part.

If I can keep that schedule, I'll be on to the hardest (read: most time consuming/longest) part of the whole thing. I honestly don't know where or how it's going to work. I'm willing to trace the thing at work but stage 4 is painting. I don't want to lug my paints to work and I also don't want to deal with my coworkers staring at me like I'm crazy because they can't tell why I'm doing every little thing I'm doing. In a way, I feel judged at work and I know one of them doesn't think I can pull it off.

But, space is going to be an issue doing it at home. I don't like working off the wall, even though that turned out to be okay for the drawing; there's something about being able to tower over the thing that makes me feel like I have a steadier hand in it all. However, I still don't have the table/counter/floor space so I don't know. Probably back on the wall they go, but this time only one block at a time.

Anyhow, I do suggest not getting too curious. It's really not exciting. I'm only keeping it a secret because I don't want the ones who would recognize it to get high expectations.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:21 am

i have to say, working on a vertical surface is very difficult. flat surfaces give you a place to rest the heel of your hand which gives you so much more control.

i wish i had the gumption to attempt such a large project. my dad used to have a painting he was working on in the basement. took up the whole wall. i don't think he ever finished it to his satisfaction. but then nothing ever is, for anyone.

i do look forward to seeing the end result even though you say it isn't too exciting.

i have never been good with painting. not that i'm terrible at it, i just like the fine edges and control i get with a harder medium like a pencil or charcoal. i think maybe i'm a bit too much of a perfectionist to paint. even the finest brush can't give me a line i'm satisfied with. i think painting is more of a thing that is great from far away, but not very good looking way up close, and i prefer to be very accurate way up close.

so yeah, i'm too much of a perfectionist, and i seriously should just suck it up and try painting again!
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:39 pm

my dad used to have a painting he was working on in the basement. took up the whole wall.
What was it, if you don't mind my asking? I have so much respect for the way most people paint (freehand, not like my cheating techniques).

i just like the fine edges and control i get with a harder medium like a pencil
Amen.
i think painting is more of a thing that is great from far away, but not very good looking way up close
While I do agree it is harder (for anyone save Mondrian) to get a handle on fine lines and the like, I have to disagree to a point on the looks better from far away. That, by the way, reminds me of Clueless; I think it was Monet they referenced with basically that same argument.

I really love the human touch it brings, seeing the brush stroke and the mingling between colors; it grounds it, makes it more approachable in a way. There is also a lot of nuance within the styles of brushstroke (or flick of the wrist or whatever the method of getting paint from brush to surface).
i seriously should just suck it up and try painting again!
Yes! You really should.

Well, I accomplished my goal for the day. 2.5 hours of tracing with a Sharpie and we're ready for stage 4. I went to the store, got some paint and will go back tomorrow, when my coupon takes effect, to pick up the last of the paint. Monday I'll actually be heading to the Main library (I know, I know, I said I didn't want to lug my paints to the library but this one has a craft room and no one to bother me or ask questions) to start this and I'll have from 8-9 to work on it if I want. I do not want (for that long) but I'll put in as much time as possible up to about 5PM. It'll give me a good idea for how long the whole thing will take, assuming I still have the motivation after Monday.

I actually laid out the whole thing after I Sharpied it and I have to say, it's kind of cool. Assuming I don't completely screw it up with the painting process, I might just be a bit proud of the whole thing. With that said...I did make one really glaring mistake and I'll have to remember that when it comes time to paint. Otherwise, any other mistakes I have made aren't obvious to me, though that could be due to my being a bit cross-eyed from it all. ETA: Glaring mistake number two found but! this can be blamed on my point of reference, not me. It shall be fixed.

My big worries at the moment include the finished product having overlap/lining up issues and the paper's absorption of the paint. I know from past experience that the paper will warp slightly from the moisture but I was using a poster board that time, so I'm hoping this thinner butcher paper doesn't rip or otherwise reject it.

Oy. I've already told everyone I've talked about this with to never let me get ideas again because they all make me a nervous wreck.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:54 pm

it was a really sprawling painting of the crucifixion. it was really quite good at times. lol

i've never tried paint on paper. generally i'm not a big fan of paper. even with pencils i prefer board. i think i'm spoiled cuz we have nasco here in town. best arts and crafts store i've ever been in.
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:41 pm

For the size I'm working with and how much that would cost (all costs on me, mind you, not the library), not to mention I'm only allowed to hang things in the library using magnet or glue dots...I didn't have much choice.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:47 pm

i hope i didn't sound elitist or like i was judging you or anything!
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Oh, heck no. It didn't even occur to me it could be read that way. Mostly just a comment that I'd like to have worked with just about anything else for this or even *gasp* been given permission to paint onto the wall itself. But admin would s*** their pants if I harmed their lovely white walls. (Have I mentioned how much I dislike white walls in an environment where people exist?)

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:59 pm

oh, i totally agree about the white walls.

still, we painted the hallway upstairs white but that was because the rooms are all different colors. and our living room is a very light beige.
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Well, horseshit. I think I underestimated how much of one color I'd need and the bottle I got of that one was the last one. I may just continue anyway and hope they get more later. There's also a good chance I'm wrong and didn't underestimate. I'm always a little surprised at how little paint I end up using, even with multiple coats.

ARGH.

Oh, know how I'm a camerawhore? I will have tons of "the making of" pictures. I promise right here and now to limit what I actually share later on.

Positives:
Paint dries fast here
Err, color...
Uh, I might have to go back to the craft store?

Okay, the biggest problem here is I'm impatient and want to be done already, so I can enjoy the finished product. It's taken an hour to do 1/8 of one panel. Do the math. I won't finish before I die.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:58 pm

Roommate trip to Color Me Mine.
It looked better before it was fired, so that's what I'm choosing to share.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:45 pm

I love monkeys, so I happen to think he's especially cute.

But now I kind of want to see post-monkey.

ETA: 5 hrs and 30 minutes or so resulted in two blocks getting done.

I had a spill about the size of the Gulf spill and for the very color I was sure I didn't have enough of to begin with.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Three hours (three hours?! It doesn't look like I got much done for all that) and I finished block number three. The scary thing is, it's seeming to take about 3 hours a block but these aren't even full-sized paintings; that is, the middle three will be painted more or less on every inch whereas the ones I've finished were half or less than half of the block. I'm estimating it'll go up to about 5 hours per block from here on out. Six to go...

My body is sore. My back, from bending to paint, my shoulder and wrist from repetitive motion, my knees from when I need to get a closer look and am kneeling in front of it.

I also may have inhaled too much paint smell/fume because I got just the slightest bit dizzy at one point.

I'll also be heading back to the craft store. I edited it into my last post but I had a huge spill last night and naturally, it was for the color I was concerned I'd be short on to begin with.

With all that said, I haven't really messed up with the painting itself and pseudo pieced it together (the finished parts); I think it's looking good. Then again, that may just be because I made it and am biased.

Random factoid: I've been listening to the same one song while working on this. I'm excited to determine how many play-throughs there were when I'm done. I mean, I think I'm up to 16.5 hours on this so far.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:26 pm

5 of the blocks/panels done, 4 left to do. Yesterday, it took me probably close to 7 hours, with only small breaks during that time, to finish the 4th. The more colors and the thinner the lines, the more time it takes. The one from tonight was only 3 hours and 15 minutes or so. It was also the only one to have every last inch painted; the rest will be partial, possibly majority, but still only partial.

I was hoping to finish by Friday, so I could hang it Saturday, but that went right out the window. I'll probably finish next Monday. That can't come soon enough.

Note to self: fix the color on 8/9 before you can consider yourself entirely done.

I also stupidly committed myself to a sub-project (related, but different). What is wrong with me? My body hurts. No more big stuff like this again. EVER.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:57 am

I've been absolutely stalled on knitting a onesie. It's only just started moving again, so I'm hoping to get it done soon. I've also started doing a pair of socks and will hopefully start either a blanket or Norwegian mittens soon.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Finally got around to "fixing" my new tankini. It's not a great job by any stretch, but it will do the job, and it's only a couple more months anyway.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Just because I need to keep myself motivated here, as I'm running out of steam, I have spent:

27 hours painting (since Sunday)
13.5 hours doing everything that came before it (before Sunday, over the course of 2.5 weeks or so)

I still have three panel/blocks to go but hopefully that'll be down to 1.5-2 by tonight.

I cleared the wall in its entirety where the Thing is going to go but that made me anxious. "Is it going to fit?" and "Am I going to be able to reach?" and "God, what will I do if my coworker decides against helping me?" The last shouldn't be a problem, since she seemed excited to see it finished and they were all interested in the changes I was making this morning to accommodate.

Glue dots also came home with me so that I can do that before Tuesday, which should, in theory, make hanging it a bit faster. I also asked maintenance to bring the 14' ladder upstairs for me; not so sure this will happen as one of them is completely worthless and the other is actually busy.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to Monday because, come hell or high water, it will be done by then and I can have free time at home and a body that doesn't completely hate me.

ETA: 3.5 hours later...one down, two to go.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:08 pm

The lace looks cute on there, Ali! I like it!

Good luck, Alea! I'm cheering you on!!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks, Steph.

I feel really bad about all these posts but I promise, it's just me cheering myself on so I don't quit when I'm so close to being done. I needed to feel like I was making progress and this is kind of letting me feel that.

Anyhow, 7 hour (at least) day down but I finished the second to last panel/block. One more to go. I'm getting excited again, even though this last one will take forever. Lots of detail work, which means working with the smallest brush I own. Blegh.

But when I'm done, I can have my life back! More Pwebbing, reading, movies!, chatting, being a lazy beaner. No more driving people batty with my incessant posts about how much I ache and how much I hate myself for thinking this up!

Almost there. I can do this.

-----------------------

Next day edit:

Worked from 9:30AM to 4:36, with about 20 minutes off in all that to take care of the yard and lunch.

But, I'm done painting. :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:49 pm

(All links clickable for bigger images)

For those of you who lead busy lives but were curious as to what I was whining about for so long, I'll put these here, right up front for you.

Having seen it in person, I have to say, the sense of scale in the photos feels off but trust me, it's kind of big (~12' from widest point and same for tallest point).

For anyone who wants to be overshared to death, you've come to the right place! :) First of all, I'm an unoriginal, wannabe, so that is not an original design; that is from the little pony show that's currently sweeping the nation. Second, if I didn't screw up the math, it took somewhere in the ballpark of 54 hours to cut, "grid", draw, Sharpie, paint and cut it a second time. That means I heard the same one song about 774 times. I also have a painful blister on my thumb from the glue dots I used to hang it; go figure, I do the yard and get nothing but I work on a craft and get a blister. I guess I'm a hardcore crafter. 8-)

I didn't capture the earlier stages (since those were only obvious in the sense that I did them and I wasn't about to have my mom taking pictures of me doing this stuff) but the later process, in pictures:

This is me double-checking the lines matched up after I Sharpied it. This is where I noticed my first glaring mistake. I corrected it in the painting as best as I could.

The map to my drawing and painting. I used some serious art techniques, learned circa 2nd grade. Gridding isn't cheating, it's being smart...

My colors. Not even all of them, at that. Just the first row. I went through four bottles completely but depleted many more.

Let's get started! The first one I started painting.

Piecing it together in the too-small craft room.

I really grew to hate these finer lines. Favorite panel? Dead center, because it was large swaths of color and took the least time.

Kitchen table got prettied up in the process. My mom was amused by how much the lines looked intentional.

Hopefully not obvious shout-out. Hard to read? Good!

I think my favorite part is either the candle on the door or the book on the sign.

Somewhere, floating around in the vast ether of internet space, is a picture of me on the 14' ladder after hanging most of it; the director and asst. director were emailed the picture (not sure why I wasn't CCd). If I had known, I'd have worn the jeans that make my ass look nice instead of the much comfier, significantly less flattering pre-PMS granny pants I wore. :P Oh well.

The response at work was pretty cool, especially given I was demoted from the unofficial "most creative person in the branch" position a week or two ago and some of the coworkers had serious doubts I'd be able to pull it off when I explained the idea to them. To hear a few "I love it!"s and "That's so cool!"s was nice vindication. I may not be the most creative but I'm alright.

I'm honestly more happy to be done than I am proud, at the moment. It's kind of hard to be proud when I saw all the mistakes I made/allowed. And I want a massage. All the bending, stretching, stooping, repetitive this or that really exhausted me.

That's the how's, basically. As to why I did it? Well, that's kind of personal but if you don't mind hearing, I won't mind telling. (Please see above about oversharing; it's my thing/it's what I do.)

I’d been considering doing something decorative in my department for quite a long while (white walls everywhere? Not kosher) but always talked myself out of it; “It would take too long” or “I honestly don’t feel like it/care enough right now” or “It wouldn’t turn out well, so why bother?”

But then the boy started talking to me in this way that he sometimes does, every once in a blue moon, only it was constant and drawn out this time and it made me really happy. He wasn’t complimenting me or doing anything obvious in that nature but what he was doing made me feel similar to this:
Oh, look what I’m holding here in my fire,
This is for you.
Am I too obvious to preach it?
You’re so hypnotic on my heart.
And more than anyone before, in my entire life, in any relational capacity, he makes me want to do, to bring beauty into this world in any way possible, even when he pisses me off. So...I gave it a shot.

Anyway. Sorry if it's sappy or inappropriate to say/share that part and I feel like a monumental ass for it but for me, the Why was much more relevant the whole way through than the How or What, anyway. It's not Serious Art Stuff but hopefully that wasn't too disappointing.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”