Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:16 am

I have yet to see episode six, but it's really kind of boring me, possibly because it strayed so far from the comic. I have no idea who the scientist in the bunker is, or where the heck he came from. I find it extremely interesting in its slowly-paced, seemingly thoughtful character play: "slow" and "zombie movies" do not go hand-in-hand, and I think there's something cool in that.

But, as usual, it's like "they've deviated so far from the comic, why did they need to call it The Walking Dead? Other than, I presume, where the eventual 'truth' about the name of the series pops out in a dramatic speech by Rick. But I mean, zombies aren't that original, and it's an interesting, new take on it that the comic didn't quite go for, so why say you based it on the comic?"

Just when I think that I enjoy adaptations of all shapes, I find that I'd probably enjoy TWD a lot more if it weren't an adaptation.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:37 pm

It hadn't occured to me before, but this house is surprisingly defensible against zombie attacks. All the windows in the front of it (including the big picture windows) are equipped with roll-down metal "blast shields", probably installed to keep out the hot summer sun, but effective against zombies nonetheless. The doors are solid wood, and there's a truck full of heavy, sharp, and/or flammable objects out front. The only truly vulnerable spot is the window in the back, and given any amount of warning, we could easily board it up. Woo!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:39 pm

We only ended up watching the first episode of The Walking Dead because it premiered on Halloween, and a friend of ours really wanted to watch. I didn't think it would really be my sort of show, basically because i'm a little tired of all the zombie hype that's everywhere, but I got hooked.

I haven't read the comic, but i'm completely addicted to the show. I'm really bummed season 2 is so far off.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Totally forgot to talk about this when it ended many weeks ago: I really liked the first season of The Walking Dead. I'm not sure what to think about the last episode, and I'm pretty sure that the Doctor guy told Rick that his wife is pregnant... but, overall, it didn't "feel" like a finale to me. I can't wait for season two, though!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat May 21, 2011 3:59 pm

The enemy's fly is down.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat May 21, 2011 5:27 pm

I have very recently found the best way to protect onself against a zombie apocalypse:

Plants

eg.
Those little sunflowers are damn adorables!

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat May 21, 2011 5:42 pm

^My roomate was playing that game during the school semester.

If I remember, those zombies even build a machine ._.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sat May 21, 2011 7:47 pm

All those brains must make them really smart.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:00 pm

Okay, so I just found out that my husband's brother, who I've never met, is really crazy. He's a "prepper", planning for the end of the world. Here is his website, including an interview with himself (it's pretty long). I think he's seen one too many zombie movies:

comanchesniper.com

Oh, and he lives in Tombstone, AZ if you'd like to go meet him, Alea. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:55 pm

I always knew AZ housed all the nuts of the country.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:07 pm

I always pray that these people are satirists that fall fully into Poe's Law.

I pray about it often.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:06 pm

Yeah, but see, we *know* this guy (my brother in law) and he is 100% serious.

I know. I wish it was a joke, too.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:16 pm

"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Is she on bath salts?!
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:47 pm

So cute, Ali!

This is the perfect place to post about all my non-workout-related Zombies, Run! feelings. Such as the fact that I have a major crush on Sam Yao.

I have a major crush on a fictional character from an apocalyptically-themed fitness app.

Yeah.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:30 pm

I think everyone's got some kind of fictional character crush(es) and some would be a lot wierder than app characters. My own include Bean, Captain Jack (the DW one, not Pirates of the Carribian) and some others.

As for zombie apocalypse survival. My buiding of choice would be the school gym/auditorium. This is large, has lots of secret rooms and staircases to sit at the top of and also houses the school canteen, food storage facilities right there. Weapons would include shotgun (of course!), machetti, chainsaw and a towel (because one can never have too many towels). I'd also have some highly adaptable counter-virus if I could get hold of one and all necessary advanced health supplements.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Oh my fictional crushes are passionate and many, dating back to childhood. But I must admit I did not foresee smart phone apps as viable crush fodder...
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Mmm... who did? I think if I get a crush on anything of the kind it'll have to be either an AI or an AAI. I reckon if Siri's voice were applied to Cleverbot and Cleverbot took on Siri's name I could... maybe.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Hey, I just thought of something. The supposed apocalypse on December 21 this year (GMT?) might just be the moment of read-out, the end of the Magrathean computer program to find the Ultimate Question. Once the program ends and the Question is found, the Earth would... I'm not sure. I know that because the Mayans or whoever came up with the calendar that started all this didn't take account of leap year days and so the Earth was meant to blow up ages ago but still, maybe it was like those "N minutes remaining" messages for downloads, they fluctuate like crazy and don't tell you much. So if you start to have an epiphany or revelation around that time, run to a bunker near you. E-mail to me first though, I'd quite like to know.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Hey, I just thought of something. The supposed apocalypse on December 21 this year (GMT?) might just be the moment of read-out, the end of the Magrathean computer program to find the Ultimate Question. Once the program ends and the Question is found, the Earth would... I'm not sure. I know that because the Mayans or whoever came up with the calendar that started all this didn't take account of leap year days and so the Earth was meant to blow up ages ago but still, maybe it was like those "N minutes remaining" messages for downloads, they fluctuate like crazy and don't tell you much. So if you start to have an epiphany or revelation around that time, run to a bunker near you. E-mail to me first though, I'd quite like to know.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/internatio ... sday-myth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:11 am

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”