Cause Workin' Out is 'fun' to do...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:33 pm

well even though I wasn't posting here I didn't miss a gym trip between my last post and june 17. Then I was swamped by the process of moving (I had actually planned my workout to have a one week layoff for then, as you occasionally need a longer break when lifting) and the next week we had a massive amount of work and then the fourth of july holiday hit.

As a result I was 204.4 on June 20th and then July 7 I was 213.4 :( some of that is water weight, quite a bit isn't I went back to the gym last night and got in a weight session, didn't plan enough time though, which was unfortunate, but I completed the majority of the workout.

tonight's the first night back at cardio. But at least I can watch so you think you can dance while on the treadmill. :D

And I'm probably going to get a hybrid mountain/road bike for commuting to work, running errands, visiting friends and trips to the beach. Mayhaps I will get really motivated and start waking up early, ride to the beach, run on the beach, ride home, shower and head to work. Sounds impossible and improbable I know, but stranger things have happened.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:39 pm

Okay, I have yet to actually meet my goal of 5 workouts per week (2 swimming, 3 aerobics/weights). I have been going at least 2 times weekly, and sometimes up to 4 times. Since I am not going to work over the next week and a half, I'm hoping to use this week to really, really get into the habit. I love how I feel after I work out. Endorphins are fun things. I swam today, really pushing myself to notice how I was using my muscles and not just flail in the water. Feels good. Feels like I accomplished something. I know I'm really slow next to people who swim competitively, but whatever. Personal goals, right?

Also looked at my blood pressure when I was at Wal-Mart. It's not high, but it's high for me. My blood pressure usually runs at least a little bit low. One time when I was doing a Pracs study in Grand Forks and they came around every hour to check on it for two weekends, my systolic got down to 97. Normally it was about 105-110. Today it was at 123. Granted, this was right after I had worked out, but still. This is what comes of living with the Sodium King. So, I really will try to eat healthier this week and with the regular workouts see if I can start getting it down. Heart disease runs in the family, and while I'm a little bit young for anything major to happen, I'm not too young to start thinking about it.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm

*hides from thread*

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:01 pm

I am a whole other person when I'm in the middle of a good workout and after pretty much any workout. I actually start to strut for a bit. Just a random FYI.

My schedule, which will be screwed up for a week or so, is as follows:

Monday - run/walk 1-2 miles. My legs and arms are probably stronger now than they were last year when I was running but my breathing is off and I'm psyching myself out in my head, so I'm not making it much farther than a mile at the moment. It's a bummer but I have to start somewhere. The upside is that I'm doing that mile at a faster pace...maybe that's why I can't go so far?

Tuesday - the walk of death, a.k.a. the Pwebber Torture Hour. While I'm suffering through 105+ degrees with no shade save for a small tunnel for no less than an hour, I tend to call Pwebbers so I don't have to suffer alone. I don't know how far it is, I just know I'm walking from the north end of town to almost the south end of town. Another mile and I'd be on the southern outskirts for this place.

Wednesday - hour long exercise class with my super sexy (super female) instructor, whom I refer to as Drill Sergeant. The fact that she can make me feel sexy while sweating buckets from every pore makes her the sexiest woman I've ever seen. LOVE Wednesdays.

Thursday - hour long exercise class with slightly less sexy instructor. Still tons of fun, still love the class, but it's easier than Drill Sergeant's and I love a challenge and this is less of one. Just to give a bit of an idea of what both classes do, it's a combination of aerobics, dance (all sorts, from stuff you might do in a club to elements of cha-cha, mambo, tap, jazz, belly, etc to more traditional Mexican stuff), and kickboxing.

Friday-Sunday, nothing for now, though I should start running at least on Saturdays. I do walk on my lunch breaks now and I feel like I've walked miles when we're busier at work, so that's something.

My weight has plateaued but I need a belt (or my suspenders!) in order to keep my pants on, so no complaints. Though it would be nice to drop another 18 and call it a day.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:57 pm

I got my upper body workout yesterday by spending the whole day at my parents' house trimming shrubs.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:38 pm

My city is having a weight loss challenge with Yakima, WA, thanks to us making it as the second fattest city in the country according to the CDC. (Add in 21%+ unemployment and this city is a happenin' place to be.)

I decided to sign up for that challenge, so I went in on Friday and weighed in (it'll make me look good next Friday because of girl issues making me heavier) and have been better in the past few days about eating. I also did a 1.25 mile walk during my lunch break yesterday, will try to make it to the Y tomorrow morning, and then will walk to my appointment at noon.

I'm about as excited as I can be about anything weight-loss related and hope this group stuff will help keep me motivated.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:19 pm

My city is having a weight loss challenge with Yakima, WA
Yakima is only fat because of the restaurant called Miner's. I once ate their biggest burger and a big chili cheese dog in one sitting. I know the effects.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:05 pm

And one reason this city is fat is thanks to our contribution to the world of hot dog servings: hot dog wrapped in bacon and smothered in beans. Yuck.

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:01 pm

And one reason this city is fat is thanks to our contribution to the world of hot dog servings: hot dog wrapped in bacon and smothered in beans. Yuck.
I can feel my arteries clogging already.

Don't really have much of a workout schedule myself but I do have to ride my bike to work (and back) everyday, a good 4 miles or so. I should be doing something on the weekends but I can't find the determination to go work out by myself.
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:11 am

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:37 am

I wanted to gag looking at that page.

I'm starting to realize/understand that it's possible to be in shape for one type of exercise and out of shape for another.

I went to the Y this morning and could only manage 1 mile on an elliptical-StairMaster hybrid and 2 miles on a bike. I did some arm stuff; used the lat-pull (at a not at all impressive 35lb setting) and hand weights, alternating between a set of 5lbs and 15lbs.

I feel rather weak compared to last summer, when I was doing 2+ miles on the elliptical and 6 miles on the bike in the same time it took me to do 2 miles today. My arm stuff is not too far off from last year but I've always been weak in the arms; I think I got up to 45lbs on the lat-pull last year.

Eventually I'll work some crunches/sit-ups in. I need those almost as badly as I need work on my arms. Legs are okay. Oh well, I need to start somewhere, right?

Not that I'm surprised, given time of day and lack of female issues but I'm down 4lbs from my official starting weight on Friday.

Now I need to shower...so I can walk 1.5 miles to the therapist and 1.5 miles back when I'm done.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:42 pm

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/
That nugget pie looks awesome. I love McDonald's sweet & sour sauce. I put it on all kinds of things.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:17 pm

I went to the Y this morning and did nothing but the dip/chin assist machine the entire time I was there. Granted, I wasn't there for as long as I should have been; sleep seemed like more fun. The point is my shoulders, back, and arms are sore.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:28 pm

went to the gym last night, and am sore today.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:40 am

Went to the gym last night, am sadly NOT sore today. Which is annoying, as I worked really, really stinking hard.

Question: how important is it, when doing aerobic exercise, to have your heartbeats per minute in a certain zone? Really? Because I think I get way too high (I need to research this). And I can't seem to help it right now, because I'm very, very competitive with myself about how many calories I burn on the machine I use (sort of a fancy elliptical). This is what prevents me from getting bored. So, unless I literally cover up the calorie counter and focus on beats per minute (which is not out of the question), I don't think there's any way I'm going to be able to keep it in the correct zone. But before I do that, I want to know how important it is. So you people who know more about exercise than me, what are your thoughts?
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:23 pm

As far as I know, the only reason it is important to avoid high heart rates is because of the risk of MI. As you increase your heart rate, the time your heart spends in diastole decreases. Since coronary arteries fill and perfuse the heart tissue only during diastole, high heart rates can cause myocardial ischemia and ultimately infarction if exercise is continued. It is usually recommended to stay under 80-85% of your maximum heart rate.

I don't think it should affect your workouts though, in terms of decreasing the efficacy. Some might say that at higher heart rates, cardiac tissue tends to use glycogen for energy instead of fatty acids. I feel like calories burned is calories burned though, no matter what fuel you use. If you use up your glycogen stores during exercise, then you're still going to utilize fat stores eventually.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:12 pm

It's Cath!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Currently, I've pretty much scrapped my workout routine. Slightly do to laziness, but also do to the fact that it just hasn't seemed effective and videogames have been distracting me.
It's pretty much impossible to get ripped with only a superfast metabolism, two 10 pound dumbbells, and hundreds of pushups.

However, after my dad checks how much money I have in the bank, I will order a set of Bodylastics workout equipment and give them a go.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Question: how important is it, when doing aerobic exercise, to have your heartbeats per minute in a certain zone? Really? Because I think I get way too high (I need to research this).
I'm not an expert, but you might be able to focus more on keeping it in that certain zone if you're sober.

*instantrimshot*
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:46 pm

Ugh. It's time for my week off. I can't wait to get back in the gym, but I've been putting off this rest week for twice as long as I should have. It's just hard for me to go a whole seven days... But then again, I've gone 4-5 days a week up to 2 hours a day for over 3 months now. It's way past time.

Just got to get pumped up for next week and have a nice, intense December. I've got plenty to be motivated for. Got my bench up over 250 and squat over 300, which were both goals I was shooting for, as well as getting 2 miles in under 15. The time off will give me an opportunity to change up my routine. Can't get too used to any setup. My split probably won't change; I'll probably keep chest with triceps, since they're complimentary, and lats/traps/delts/rhomboids together, leaving legs and biceps. That's the only non-complimentary one, but I do so much lower body on that day that it's nice to have bicep lifts to break up the leg exercises.

As far as cardio, maybe I'm a bit too comfortable with my gassers/sprints/jog setup. But it's hard to argue with... Running my lungs out on gassers first, and then sprinting as many times as possible followed by a distance run when I'm tired has paid the best dividends of any set up. Perhaps the addition of a few little things, more shadowboxing and heavy bag and some agility drills, could be the difference in busting a plateau.

It'll also give me time to find a new NO2 product.. I'm happy with the rest of what I'm using.

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body." I Corinthians 6:19-20
Discord ID: AJ#0001

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby v-girl » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:51 pm

30 Day Shred.

That's all I have to say.

Ok, that and "ouch."
Are you still using this, Kelly? I bought the DVD yesterday after a friend recommended it to me. I'd love to hear your progress and/or advice!

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Product Description
Jillian Michaels winning trainer on NBC's "The Biggest Loser" helps you lose big--up to 20 pounds in 30 days!
20 pounds in 30 days sounds like a bit much.. I don't know if it's safe to lose that much weight in a month (not that it's likely in a "20-minute circuit-training workout"). It took me a good 2 years to lose around 100 pounds safely and healthily (roughly 4 pounds a month) and there were times when I was working out 5 days a week for 2 hours a day. Granted, I was doing a lot of lifting which, while a huge calorie burn, also builds muscle which we all know weighs more than fat. But still, it's not so much about the number on the scale as the number on the tag of your pants.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:26 pm

*belatedly applauds zeroguy*

Okay, here's my update on the heartrate issue in case anyone cares.

The day I posted that, I tried to keep my heart about ten beats less per minute than it had been. Which was still way too high according to most of the charts that focus on that, but still. And what did I discover? I burned all of 10 less calories. Which I was able to make up in a minute. And I was WAY less exhausted (although, less of an endorphin rush, as well). Still. It clicked in my head at that point that I could burn just as many calories at a lower rate if I just worked out a little longer.

The next time I went to the gym, my normal machine was not available, and so I got on the CrossRamp. Not knowing the settings at all, I ended up having a much, much easier time actually staying in my target zone, but it took awhile longer to get my target number of calories. However, by the time I got there, I was not remotely worn out -- actually had energy to spare. So, I kept going and burned off another 100 calories.

Ergo, my conclusion is that, as in other important aspects of life, slower and longer is more effective.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:05 am

One of the worst myths in the fitness industry is that you need to maintain a specific heart rate range in the fat burning zone in order to lose fat. But this is simply not true. Unfortunately, this false belief leads people to choose low intensity steady state cardio routines that are ineffective and cause most people a major lack of results from their workouts.

Over the last 10 years, scientific research has indicated a couple of very important things to us about exercising for body fat loss. First of all, lifting heavier weights while exercising leads to a higher caloric consumption by the body in the period for about 1-2 days following the workout when compared to lifting light weights with high repetitions. So that’s why 6-8 repetitions per set is better than 12-15 reps per set when it comes to stimulating the metabolism for losing fat permanently.

Another important aspect we have learned from scientific research in recent years is that highly variable interval-type training is far superior to slow, steady-pace cardio exercise for fat loss and post-exercise induced calorie burning. In the long run, if you focus on the internal metabolic response your body is getting from your workout routines, instead of how many calories you burn during some sort of magical “target fat burning heart rate zone”, you will achieve MUCH better fat loss results. So not only is it more result-producing, but it is also more time-efficient to use short high-intensity interval training workouts instead of slow, long, steady-pace cardio sessions.

The only time you might need to know your specific heart rate is during the recovery period of the interval training. It is important to take enough time during your recovery intervals in order for your heart rate to drop back down significantly (allow it drop to approximately less than 60% of your max heart rate). That way you are able to get more quality work done when it counts. You do not want to start your next high-intensity interval too soon, nor do you want to exercise too hard during your recovery intervals.

If you want to start actually getting the fat loss results you’ve been wanting for so long, or even just improve your overall fitness, do not worry so much about your target fat buring heart rate zone during exercise. Instead, make sure that you are working at a high-intensity and a variable intensity (according to your individual capabilities of course) during each weight lifting and interval training session.
The password is "guilty"

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby v-girl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:50 am

20 pounds in 30 days sounds like a bit much.. I don't know if it's safe to lose that much weight in a month (not that it's likely in a "20-minute circuit-training workout"). It took me a good 2 years to lose around 100 pounds safely and healthily (roughly 4 pounds a month) and there were times when I was working out 5 days a week for 2 hours a day. Granted, I was doing a lot of lifting which, while a huge calorie burn, also builds muscle which we all know weighs more than fat. But still, it's not so much about the number on the scale as the number on the tag of your pants.
I agree. I'm not really looking to lose weight, I am really just wanting to do some decent strength training in the safety of my own apartment. I never know what to do with weights and things at the gym, so I always just end up doing cardio. I have like zero upper body strength!

Congrats on your weight loss! That is a huge accomplishment, and good for you for doing it the right way.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:10 am

20 pounds in 30 days sounds like a bit much..
I agree. I'm not really looking to lose weight, I am really just wanting to do some decent strength training in the safety of my own apartment. I never know what to do with weights and things at the gym, so I always just end up doing cardio. I have like zero upper body strength!

Congrats on your weight loss! That is a huge accomplishment, and good for you for doing it the right way.
Ten pounds of the 20 pounds would probably be water weight, and 10 pounds of real weight loss is entirely doable on a Jillian style workout (woman is a beast motivator! I imagine her yelling at me when I'm doing HIIT workouts)

Do you want to know how to use weights and things at the gym? because if you want to know how to use them, it's not difficult to find out. Youtube is a tremendous resource in terms of demonstration videos, Crossfit.com has tons of videos showing proper form and execution of free weights but they are more oldschool, preyoutube, so everything is in QT or RM.

but the absolute best you can do is just buy the DVD Starting Strength. The DVD shows you how to do the five basic free-weight lifts, and it shows it with a variety of body types and people, from underweight, overweight and average girls, both older and younger including girls that are obviously already fit, to those that are obviously not, guys that are hefty, scrawny, old, ripped and average. So it runs a fairly balanced gamut of showing that anyone can do these exercises.

The video really emphasizes proper form and lifting safely and intelligently. You find out lifting is not a boring exerise, it's going to use your brain a lot because there's a lot to think about and a lot to focus on. I find it clears my head way better than cardio. and imo it is absolutely essential to see it. Seeing it locks in the visualization of the exercise in your minds eye, imo, and its so much better than a tiny size or heavily pixelated youtube video or QT file.

Additionally, body builders have decided that they need to do some sort of vast gamut of free weight exercises to get any benefit. They are wrong, most of them don't even execute the primary lifts correctly, and the variety exercises are mostly just poor substitutes that do not work large muscle groups as efficiently or as directly as the primary lifts. or they're isolation exercises that are designed to make some sort of manly muscle pop (like biceps, triceps, pecs). So girls, for the most part, don't need to bother with anything outside of the four-five primary lifts and pullups, dips, back extensions, and chinups (those latter four don't need to involve weights, though they can, and are usually done in the free weight area)

The five primary lifts are as follows:
Squat
Dead Lift (used to be known as the Health Lift, funny how the name changed)
Press
Bench Press
Clean

Squat and Dead Lift are whole body exercises and the two essential lifts that should be part of every exercise program, imo, they contribute so much benefit to everyone if they're done correctly, however they're also the lifts most likely to be done incorrectly, so they're not as popular as the easier Bench and Press lifts. These two latter lifts are closer to isolation exercises, because the although the Dead Lift works the back and forearms a great deal and the Squat hits the back as well, primarily in both lifts you're using your arm muscles as stabilizers rather than lifting. These two lifts target the upperbody, the Bench Press hits the triceps and chest primarily and the press works the shoulders and triceps. The best bicep exercise there is that is known to humankind is chinups. pullups also give some of the best whole arm workout there is, dips are sort of like a bench press, chest and triceps. Back extensions, obviously, target the back. The clean is your explosive lift, it shouldn't be done without coaching, or at the very least a very solid squat rack, but you can do the exercise with just a pvc pipe or an empty bar safely and get the benefit of the movement--it's a hell of a lot of fun too, I just added it back into my workout and it's a treat to get to the clean because its the end of the workout and the most fun.

Lifting free weights will not make you look like female body builders. It will increase your strength, lessen backpain, and help your overall health. Traditionally the only free weights exercise women do in their life is lifting and carrying infants and toddlers a few hundred times a day, that definitely makes them stronger (the baby keeps getting heavier, like adding weight to your workout sets) but I don't think you see a lot of ripped mommies out there. ;)

The one thing the dvd does not do is provide a workout program, that's laid out very ably in the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. If you're interested at all in the anatomy, physiology and science behind the five primarily lifts and what health benefits they confer, what muscle groups they work and the professional explanation of why this form is essential and that form is a problem this is absolutely the best book there is.

But to save you some time and money his workout program is basically

A Day: Squats and Press (or Bench Press) and pullups
B Day: Deadlifts and Bench Press (or Press) and chinups
and every other deadlift workout he either adds a set of cleans or subs deadlifts for cleans but again, the Clean is an optional lift.

the workout target is 3 work sets of 5 repetitions.
A workout is a heavy set, it is preceded by at least 6 warmup sets

2 sets of 5 reps with just the bar (to practice your form and to warm up your brain to focus on the exercise)
1 set of 5 reps with about 40-50% of your work set
1 set of 5 reps with about 50-65% of your work set
1 set of 3 reps with about 65-80% of your work set
1 set of 1-2 reps with about 80-90% of your work set
3 work sets of 5 reps

the only exception is he puts deadlifts as the second exercise on days that exercise is performed. and he eliminates a few of the warmup sets (because deadlifts are exhausting) and only has you do 1-2 work sets of deadlifts)

rest about 1-2 minutes between warm up sets 2-3 minutes between work sets.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:38 pm

My suggestion is this homegym system called Bodylastics, which is only 50$. There's so many excercises you can do with them, they're very versatile.
AND you can do it in the safety of your own apartment, or any room; really.

Also, since it's elastic, it doesn't hurt the joints, because it doesn't carry momentum....
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby v-girl » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:52 pm

Well, I have now done 10 days of 30 Day Shred level 1. The first day was awful, but it's gotten noticeably more manageable (but still hard). I still have a lot of trouble with push-ups. I've also realized how routine the elliptical had gotten at the gym. I like it because I can read while doing it, and while I work up a sweat I now realize that I don't really push myself on that machine. I have been feeling so good the past few days, and noticeably stronger in my core and legs. I've also been doing stairs at school as a break from studying - right now I can go about 5 flights (each 1/2 flight is 10-12 steps) and I'd love to be able to make it to the top of the building.

Thanks for the advice about strength training. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time or money to spend on anything, which is why the 30 Day Shred is great for me. It's only about 25 mins but I feel like I actually did some work. The DVD was only like $10 too.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:53 pm

You know what I love to loath? HIIT intervals. Nothing worse, but nothing better, than running as hard as you can for 30 seconds, then resting for 30 seconds, and repeating it until your lungs are on fire from the lactic acid buildup, your legs refuse to move, you're sweating profusely despite the fact that it is 50 degrees outside, and you feel as if you are moments from blacking out.

... I sometimes think I'm a little bit of a masochist.

Oh, I also love weight training. Watching the body slowly but surely become stronger. Much more capable of lifting an increasing amount weight, be it your own weight or the weight of iron. Witnessing the body becoming more capable of maintaining a high level of intensity over a longer period of time. All the facilities learning to be more efficient. The increased mental strength due to the continually willing oneself to put themselves through pain (HIIT) and discomfort (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) for no other reason than to break yourself down so you can become stronger.

Right now I'm doing a four day weight lifting split with primarily compound lifts:

Mondays - Upper Body
Pullups 8x3 60s rest
Flat Bench Press 8x3 60s rest
Bodyweight Rows 8x3 60s rest
Overhead Press 8x3 60s rest
Reverse Dumbell Flies 8x3 60s rest

Tuesdays - Lower Body
Abdominal Roller 3x8 90s rest
Sandbag Squats 8x3 60s rest
Windshield Wipers 3x8 90s rest
Deadlifts 8x3 60s rest
Declined Weighted Situps 3x8 90s rest

Wednesday - HIIT or LISS (Jogging)

Thursdays - Upper Body
Inclined Bench Press 3x8 90s rest
Dips 8x3 60s rest
Inclined Dumbell Rows 3x8 60s rest
Ring Pushups 3x8 90s rest
Dumbell Flies 3x8 90s rest

Fridays - Lower Body
Shouldered Sandbag Squats 8x3 60s rest
Back & Side Extensions 3x8 90s rest
Sandbag Lunges 8x3 60s rest
Dragon Flags 8x3 60s rest
Pistols 3x8 90s rest

Saturday OR Sunday - HIIT or LISS

Is it wrong of me that while I know a lot of people who started up their yearly post-holiday New Year resolution diet and exercise plans, I secretly get a sense of satisfaction knowing that the majority of them are going to fail? That their diets are short term, that they will slowly come up with reasons to stop exercising, that they'll feel bad about it, and by next year they will likely be in even worse shape? Probably. I've been there. It sucks.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Do we ever get to see slim, hip Wil?

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:43 pm

You can't handle slim, hip Wil.

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:38 pm

There is something magical about running 11 miles in the middle of the night. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 pm

I really, really want a pair of these... but I don't know if they're worth the $85 or not. I mean, even if I don't use them for running/hiking/everyday wear, at least they would make really good water shoes. Even if I DID wear them every day, I don't think I'd like all the questions they would generate.

Hmmph.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:47 pm

Since this is the closest thing to a "health" post we have... heard this on the radio this morning and thought it was interesting:

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/pancreatic- ... nked-sodas

In short: Drinking more than two soft drinks a week effectively doubles your risk of pancreatic cancer.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:51 pm

I really, really want a pair of these... but I don't know if they're worth the $85 or not. I mean, even if I don't use them for running/hiking/everyday wear, at least they would make really good water shoes. Even if I DID wear them every day, I don't think I'd like all the questions they would generate.

Hmmph.
Elfprince used to have a pair...I think he posted a picture of himself wearing them.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Return to “Milagre Town Square”