Cause Workin' Out is 'fun' to do...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:44 am

Thought I'd throw this on here as a sort of.. note to my progressions. Over the last four weeks I've slowly been working up to running. The first two weeks I ran six days a week, one mile a day. I took a break the third week to reduce the risk of killing my shins (they already hurt anyways), but in that time I went back to working out. This week I've decided to combine the two, doing six days of work still but splitting the running and workout every other day... cutting back to 3 miles a day for the time being. In a few weeks I will possibly up the time of the run by 5 to 10 minutes so as to increase my daily running to 1.5-2 miles.

Diet is my killer, still. I eat very little from about 2 through 7pm. workout at about 10pm, and then eat again at about 12am. I think I'm going to cut out the midnight meal and just try and eat more earlier in the day. Not sure what exactly I'm going to do, but we will see. Need to get this right, though. Gains are apparent but they're slow. *ponders*

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:44 pm

When I move, I have got to find a place to swim laps a few times a week. It just feels so -- good.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:23 pm

Alrighty, so I started doing my strength-circuit as an actual circuit yesterday -- twice around. Also, I have officially bumped up my required time in the pool by 5-10 minutes. Before it was minimum 20, aim for 25, now it's minimum 25, aim for 30. Got 30 minutes swimming today. Well, actually, I only actually swam for about 24 minutes. The last six minutes are better described as "flailing around in the water in such a way that I was more or less propelled forward, at times in spite of myself." I shall have to learn how to pace myself, it seems.

So, pushing myself. Increased endurance. Yay me!

That said...

ow. ow. OW. OW OW OW OWIEEEEEE!!!!!!

Yeah.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:14 pm

I love that title, mostly because it is true. 8)

I will admit I do not use weights; but I do absolutely love running and I am finding out it really is not such a solitary activity. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:54 am

slept in and missed my workout today :(
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:00 pm

Every weekday morning, it's more of the same. Wake up at 5:30, out the door by 5:45, and back in by 6:30.

I think I need to start drinking more water throughout the day, because without fail, just about every morning when I've finished my run, I have a horrible stomach ache...which may be dehydration related.

I can't run as far or as fast as I once could, but I realize it took time to build up to it before, so I'm okay with this. As it is, I push myself to run farther each day than I did the day before and the pain from starting to run after a significant break from it is quickly going away.

Pretty soon here, I'd like to reintroduce sit-ups into my routine. I was doing them again in February but stopped for what was probably a dumb, laziness-induced reason. I enjoy the soreness I get from doing them and find myself purposefully using the muscles throughout the day just to feel the sore sensation all over again.

There's this guy who always walks by my dad and me heading in the opposite direction and he always looks extremely nervous; for Scrubs fans, think Ted. We laugh about it because we're convinced he'd s*** his pants if we kind of jumped at him and said "Boo!"

Anyway. I'm happy to be exercising regularly again.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:50 pm

There's this guy who always walks by my dad and me heading in the opposite direction and he always looks extremely nervous; for Scrubs fans, think Ted. We laugh about it because we're convinced he'd s*** his pants if we kind of jumped at him and said "Boo!"
Sounds like he has a crush on you...

or your dad. :wink:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Three days in to thirty minutes, and the soreness has been reduced to that more bearable, "Oh, yeah, I worked out" kind of soreness. Also, I definitely swam the whole time today -- no flailing, and could probably have managed at least five more. Sweet.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Olhado_ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:51 pm

Just ran a 40 minute run...I am really going to have to consider doing this before work, before the sun has had the opportunity to heat things up. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:58 pm

It was 86 degrees at 5:40 this morning. 91 degrees by the time I got back at 6:30...that kind of annoys since we started getting up early to beat the heat. Maybe I need to reconsider the whole pants vs. shorts thing.

Meanwhile, I have a few highlights from this morning:
I made it to Friday's goal today
My pace is getting faster quicker than I expected - if I can shave off about two minutes, I should be back to my best run time

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Ohh hoo hoo... Ms. Pants Only is considering SHORTS now, huh? Pfft! ;)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:40 pm

My legs are kind of white when compared to my arms and face...maybe my legs would like shorts :P

I likely won't (with the exception of sleeping and swimming, I haven't worn shorts outside, of my own free will, since 1997 - since 2003 when forced by ROTC) out of habit and comfort, but it's a nice thought.

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Totoro To-to-ro

Postby shadow-petra » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Ohh hoo hoo... Ms. Pants Only is considering SHORTS now, huh? Pfft! ;)
People need to think about spandex :lol:

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Olhado_ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:25 am

Just completed a 4 mile run, 4am, run before work. This is my attempt to beat our regular afternoon thunderstorms, plus the afternoon heat.

I know the second part will sound crazy coming from the runners in the Southwest.

I just hope I can keep it up. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:27 am

Just completed a 4 mile run, 4am, run before work. This is my attempt to beat our regular afternoon thunderstorms, plus the afternoon heat.
ALL of that screams of crazy person, Chris.

4am? And I thought 5:30 was harsh.

As for heat, while it may get up to 112 these days (before the hottest time of the year, even), it's an incredibly dry heat in most of the warmest parts. So it only ever feels like 112. Add humidity, like today, and even though it was 85F when I started my run, I was drenched when I finished. Humidity is rare in these parts, though.

Spandex just reminds me of my black 80s bike shorts with the cool neon colored stripe down the side of the leg. It does not, however, come up as a possibility for a run. And Wil, don't get too excited (read: don't you dare rub it in :P) but I've given up on pants for my runs. I don't feel like dying when my legs can breathe.

As for my running, I've managed to increase my distance again. I'm now going for 6 times the length of time I ran my first time out and I'm getting faster to boot. I'm working on endurance mainly, not speed, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't care about that too.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:41 pm

And Wil, don't get too excited (read: don't you dare rub it in :P) but I've given up on pants for my runs. I don't feel like dying when my legs can breathe.
:lol: :roll:

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:56 pm

I am going to try this one hundred pushups thing. Even though, at the moment, I can't even do one real pushup. :P I am starting out with modified push-ups (from the knees) and I will see where it gets me.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:16 am

interesting. I can do about 35 consecutive pushups before my arms collapse. I may have to try that.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:02 pm

Rode my bike today. More importantly, pumped up the tires today. Ow my ams.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Olhado_ » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:09 am

Early run for the second time this week...I decided to take a break Tuesay and Thursday because I play after-work soccer and we do not let weather stop us...rain, heat, or humidity. :)

Of course, I could still be crazy, Alea :P
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:35 pm

started the 100 pushups, I got 22 on the initial test. we'll see how this is going in a few weeks. :)

Analytic Mind
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Analytic Mind » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:39 pm

locke it may help with your push ups to build up your triceps, because if you are trying to build up your pecs, they may not get as much benefit from the exercise because the (comparably) small muscles in your tricep tires faster.

Analytic Mind
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Analytic Mind » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:57 pm

btw i am starting that 100 thing too, it looks really good, so can we compare results?

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:01 pm

sure thing I'll be posting here to help keep track of things.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:40 pm

I no longer get ravenously hungry after I swim. For the first time in my life. Oh, sure, I'm hungry -- it is lunchtime, after all -- but I no longer feel like my stomach is eating itself. No longer this, "GORG HUNGRY! GORG WANT EAT!" feeling. It's kind of nice. This is the longest I've stuck with any type of exercise regularly, and I'm quite pleased. I have to find a place to swim after I move.

I have not kept up the strength training and need to get back to it, though.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:47 am

I've just tried the elliptical machine for the first time ever and holy cow is that the most awesome piece of equipment ever. What I was doing would accurately be described as giddily bouncing while on it and I am really looking forward to getting on it again (I almost did it twice in one day, but figured I'd dig into my recovery time if I did).

I don't think I've outlined my new workout routine:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday are my run days now
Tuesday and Thursday are my "gym" workouts (bicycle, elliptical!, weights, crunches)
Saturday and Sunday are fast walk days

I make myself do a min. of 45 minutes no matter what day/activity it is.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:23 am

I never liked ellipticals. Initially I couldn't get the hang of the unnatural movements (meaning I keep lifting my foot off the stupid foot pads) but I am resigned to using one of the dire machines if there are no other options.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:27 pm

I lost my rhythm a few times at first, but I still liked it in those moments and I never had a problem with lifting my feet. I don't know, it's made me more excited than just about anything exercise related.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:47 am

after two weeks on the road to 100 pushups program (or whatever it's called) I improved my max from 22 to 34. :) This next week looks absolutely killer though. gonna be a tough one but I can do it. :)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:27 am

For all you swimmers out there:

Some tips on correct technique to help you get the most of your workout.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:57 pm

I got (long overdue) new shoes! A pair of Sauconys to replace my 6 year old Nikes. The support feels amazing compared to what I was getting before.

I've decided I like it better when people are in the gym at the same time I am, especially if they're on the same type of equipment I'm on. I'm competitive, so it pushes me harder if I think I can 'beat' the other person.

Today was an easy day. I did 2.25miles on the elliptical, 1.25miles on the bike, and did a bit of the weights for my arms/shoulders.

While I was in the gym, I decided to weigh myself for the hell of it. I gained 3-5 pounds in the past 2 months and I'm going to pretend it was muscle gain, not fat.

Finally, I think my goal (not sure that I have a timeframe) is to get in good enough shape to do a Sprint or Olympic Distance triathlon.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:51 am

I have completely fallen off the work-out wagon. I've had way too much stress this past month, plus I got sick. Hoping I will feel better soon and get back to exercising.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:27 am

finished week three of the push up thing, actually I fell four push ups short of the minimum I was supposed to do of the day three work out, so I'll probably scale down one level for week four. I did week three as a repeat actually, since I missed day three of my first week three due to a vacation.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:44 am

Started swimming again. Swam the 33 meter (about 108 feet) nearby pool, 50 times (25 times forward, 25 times back). Took one hour.

Yeah, it's not the best pace, but hopefully I'll be better as time passes.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:02 pm

I have to get back into that push-up thing. I am aiming for re-starting next week.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”