Cause Workin' Out is 'fun' to do...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue May 25, 2010 4:32 pm

yesterday I rode my bike down to the santa monica pier and back, around 8 miles all together.

today I rode all around the marina, including over the venice canals, 10 miles all together.

fun to finally do those things.

and I saw a coffee house I'm gonna bike to tomorrow

http://www.thecowsendcafe.com/
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:26 am

Owwwwwwwww.
I haven't ran that far since XC. My endurance is shot.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:06 am

I've got a two day streak at the gym started, tomorrow starts June, I'm going to try to get a 26 day streak going and hit the gym every day between now and when my family visits. I've so far lost fifteen pounds this year, 10 of them since May 6th when I switched to circuit training (specifically the biggest loser circuit program) which is INTENSE it's like HIIT with free weights. and I'm up to 12 chinups and 9 pullups consecutively. If I could lose another nine pounds and be at 200 by June 24, that would be awesome. :) I've had a three pound week, but mostly two pound weeks, so we shall see. If I'm at my "regular" weight of 202-205 I'll be happy though.

If I break 200 before June 26 I'll be ecstatic.

my current little goal is to get to 12 full range of motion dips for three sets, at the moment I can only get about 9 dips where my upper arms come completely parallel to the ground on the first set. I should hopefully hit twelve full dips soon, it was humbling and frustrating to realize in mid april I was only doing about 2/3 range of motion on my dips and thus was not giving my triceps their proper pounding. Once I started going full range though they started to pop a few weeks later. It's a good feeling when you want to collapse after hitting the dips bar. Likewise I'd like to hit 12 chinups for all three sets, I've got two sets taken care up, need to get that third set. then I may start doing weighted chinups :shock:
I wish the gym had a better place/bar to do pullups on. Their bar has no grip or is too thick. I long for a proper squat rack, or proper pullup bars, I know I could hit 12 pullups right now at my current strength with chalk and a better barbut can't with what I have available. :(

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:14 pm

The gym was closed from Friday to Monday; I had the basic equipment at home to get my workouts in, but I was still psyched to get back in the full weight-room. I'd gotten down to 178lbs (from my initial 270? maybe more? around 3 years ago) before the gym shutdown for the long weekend, and I want to keep that momentum going. I hope to maybe have an MMA fight in by the end of summer and I want to be in my ideal weight-class.

Today's Workout:

Lifting:
(Exercise ------------------- Sets - Reps - Weight)
Weighted Pullup------------- x5 -- ~8 --- ~+25
Dumbbbell Delt Press ------ x5 -- ~8 --- ~55x2
-
Bentover T-Bar Row ------- x5 -- ~8 --- 90
Dumbbell Delt Fly ---------- x5 -- ~8 --- 25x2
-
Barbell Upright Row ------- x4 -- ~8 --- 80
Barbell Front Raise -------- x4 -- ~8 --- 45
Dumbbell Delt Shrug ------ x4 -- ~8 --- 85x2
-
Cable Lat Pulldown ------- x4 -- ~8 --- ~160
Barbell Delt Shrug -------- x4 -- 10 --- ~175
Barbbell Deadlift ---------- x4 -- 10 --- ~175
-
Cable Delt Press ----------- x3 -- 10 --- 135
Bentover Dumbbell Rows - x3 -- 10 --- 50x2

-----------------------------------

Cardio:
Pickup Basketball --- 1.5 Hours
Track Run ------------- 1 Mile
Boxing Drills ---------- 15 Minutes

-----------------------------------

Cooldown / Stretchout
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Now that I'm back home, I've been biking a lot more. We have the best bike trails here...so beautiful, it makes the ride painless. It was so much more fun than going to the gym, I hope I'll be doing it more often.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:52 pm

I measured myself for the first time since January 31st. waist down 2 inches, hips down two inches, neck down 1.25 inches. overall weight down 16 lbs from then.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:13 pm

So I've lost a bunch of weight off of my waist--this is what happens when you finally stop eating things that bother your intestinal tract. However, my butt, as usual, does not want to fit into last year's capris. This is why I really shouldn't bother with anything but jeans on a regular basis. Ugh.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:57 am

otoh I hurt my achilles tendon, I think by wearing cleats at my last football game and not properly stretching my calves. it's not achilles tendonitis yet, but it could probably get there. I am stretching and massaging it a lot. I may try some cold paks, though I don't want to by them. we'll see if it feels good enough to run on saturday. It may, it may not. In the meantime that means no calf centric exercises on strength training routines, and I've significantly lowered my squat weight. And it means I can't run on cardio days, I can warm up on a treadmill but I don't want to strain it, I made the mistake of running on it tuesday, and that aftermath finally made me look up what it might be. I can't really row either, because there's quite a lot calf flexion in rowing. 2minutes of rowing as a warmup is still okay, but I can't do a long rowing session. And I hate ellipticals and I can't keep my heels from moving on the satanic machines anyway, so I'm not even going to try them.

so tonight, I did 30 minutes on the bike using the interval program. remarkably it's a perfect interval program, doing intervals of 1 minute of high resistance 1 minute of low resistance. I moved it up gradually to the highest resistence and got a workout that felt about 80% as good as a HIIT 30 minute running work out.

4 consecutive days at the gym and counting.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:15 am

Hmm it's been about a week since I worked out.

So, since I lack weights to use, I might as well work on my abs - I mean, I'm almost there and you don't even need equipment...
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:56 am

I think I'm up to 8 or 9 consecutive days. Did cardio tonight. Still unable to run, though my foot is getting better, so I'm still stuck on the bike for cardio. Oh well. Tomorrow is more circuits. They are so hard. I love them.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:53 pm

Yesterday I did a 7.5 mile loop up+down Camel's Hump in my fivefingers.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:36 am

rode my bike to Tjs tonight for vegetables, it includes a couple hills and I conquered them again and after I got home I felt great, also going to TJs on one's bike limits significantly the stuff one buys.

Then I was talking online to a girl for too long and 'missed' out on getting to the gym before they closed. Not giving up, I busted out my dumbbells from my closet and did my interval workout in my living room with a movie on. Not ideal, but I still got a terrific workout.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:49 am

I can post in here again, sort of. 8) (It occurs to me, this particular exercise doesn't really feel like "working out" because I actually like it.)

Long story short-ish: started this class last March and was ready to hate it but instead fell madly in love with it. Continued with it until October, when they had some issues with the city that resulted in two out of three buildings being unusable lest they risk massive fines. Switched to the local YMCA and was so unimpressed that when soccer season rolled around in December, I was only too happy for the excuse to stop going. Soccer season ended in March and I didn't go back after that.

Drove by the original place on Saturday, saw a sign up advertising the class, called first chance I got (Monday) and went back the first chance I got (tonight). I didn't miss much; they've only been up again for 9 days.

It felt...beyond words fantastic. Some of the people I met last year were back, one of the two instructors is back. That was just the emotional reaction I had.

Physically, it kicked my ass some. Basically, the styles of dance we cover include merengue, reggaeton, cumbia, hip-hop/light kickboxing (okay, that's not a dance but we incorporate some basic stuff from it), mambo, salsa, and some belly dancing. Did I mention this is a dance studio I attend? I look ridiculous but I'm dancing. My legs currently feel like jelly and nothing makes me break a sweat more than this stuff (not even bike riding during the day in AZ in June). It's awesome.

My only concern is weight/fat loss. I would like to not lose any more weight since I have no control over where it'd be lost from. I can just see my legs getting smaller and my chest getting smaller while the areas that could actually use loss (arms, stomach) stay the same. No thanks, I'd rather stick with what I've got.

I'm also curious to see how bike riding goes now that this is back in my rotation.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:50 am

Alea, I've been looking into similar classes around here at both dance studios and gyms. They sound SO FUN and like something I would really, truly enjoy! But They are SO PRICEY. Ugh!

I have joined a yoga class through work. I have mixed feelings about it. I'm a little bit more advanced than the remainder of the class and am also more physically fit than most of them. This says a lot more about the very poor health of the other class members than it does about my relative "fitness" which is laughable.

I always feel really good AFTER the class. But during the class I'm sort of continually annoyed.

I also joined the gym at work (yearly fee=$120. TOTALLY worth it, even if there are only 5 machines and I have to sign up in advance to use them) but haven't used it yet.

Down 8 pounds overall and feeling good about it, though!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:48 pm

more circuits, more fun. I'm starting to up the difficulty level to keep up the intensity. My weight loss starting the two weeks I was not working seems to be entirely sleep related (meaning I could sleep as long as I wanted and started losing a half lb a day, more or less, regardless of what I did or didn't eat) Last week I gained six lbs (mostly water weight) when I was working all five days and going back to my usual 4-5.5 hrs of sleep. dropped three gained two this week so far, so curse water weight, and just sigh and realize I have to get better sleep if I'm ever going to win against my body that I hate so much.

Alea, if you're worried about your arms, do some strength training, you can get a hell of a workout with a little upper body circuit that only needs five lb weights (heck, or just use cans of food) that you repeat three times. Girls don't produce enough testosterone to add muscle like guys do, so you won't get musclely like scary female body builders, and just exerciseing your upper body won't spot reduce your arms, but it will firm them up and make them look better. You can do this at home while watching a TV show, takes about the amount of time as a commercial break.

12 Curls alternating each arm (again you can use a can of food for this in each hand if you don't have weights, no excuses) - flex your biceps at the top

12 Chair Dips - hands behind you on the edge of the chair, lower yourself down until your butt brushes the floor, but don't set down, and push yourself back up, Elbows should point straight back)

12 deadlifts - weights on the ground, pick up with back in extension, keep your back in extension the entire time (lower back spine goes inward NEVER rounds outward), stand up, shoulders back, then back to the ground, keeping your back extended, never rounded.

12 pushups - you can start with pushups from your knees and progress to regular pushups and progress to incline pushups with your feet on the chair used for chair dips.

12 T-Raises - Weights at your side, raise them straight up so your arms are in straight in front of you, parallel to the ground. Keeping them parallel spread your arms out until they're pointed out from your side, making a T. lower them to your sides, repeat

12 Presses - Weights on shoulders, push them straight into the air, pause at the top and try to shrug/push them high as you can, lower, repeat. Don't bend your knees, that's a push press, and a different exercise.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Weighed in today at 177. Approaching a hundred pounds of fat loss in the last 4 years.

Today I also did 4 sets of 6 reps of weighted full-range dips with a 45lb plate.

Got it done after my full hour of chest/tricep lifts. It was a "dumbbell" day, utilizing almost exclusively free-weights:
Chest -
Dumbbell chest fly
Dumbbell chest press
Dumbbell incline press
Dumbbell decline press
Tricep -
Dumbbell overhead tricep extension
Dumbbell lying tricep extension
Cable one-arm tricep isolation
Cable rope tricep pushdown

It was a moderately heavy day, and even though I had all the time I wanted, I set a specific stop-time so that I'd limit my rests and go from set-to-set. I feel like I've really hammered my triceps successfully lately, and am more than ready to isolate a new muscle group for improvement. So far, I've done calf, chest and back to great effect. I'll either do delts or quads next. Obviously, I hit all muscle groups at least once, if not twice, each week, but I like to pick one or two groups for a couple of weeks that are my primary focus.

Progress

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Restarted working out again today with my bodylastics.

From 12 to 1:
Cycled between different types of situps and squats(with ten pound dumbbells in each hand) AND other different types of situps and dumbbell excercises that work my forearm.

Pretty much worked all my abs and my obliques hard, and worked my legs and forearms, as well.

From 1 to 2:
Used my bodylastics to do a variety of different excercises. First my back and triceps, then biceps and triceps, then chest, then shoulders and triceps, and then upper and lower chest.

From 2 to 2:30:
Put away my bodylastics, and used both of my ten pound dumbbells in each hand, at the same time, to do concentration curls.

Did all this while sipping water after each workout, during each rest, and afterwards - ate two pancakes with scrambled egg, while drinking two glasses of milk, for my protein and carbs.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Roughly a two-hour walk today followed by a bike ride. It was only 5km, but I nearly made it up the killer hill! Hopefully in the next week or so I will conquer it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:58 pm

Same workout as last time.

Mopped it up with protein from four pieces of Salmon, and two glasses of milk. And potato salad, but I don't think that has much protein.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:30 pm

So, today I've spent a significant amount of time researching information I need to understand how to get the best of my workout.

I've decided that I'm going to start adding 2 days of rest between each workout day. Just to make sure I'm not overtraining, and allow my muscles a sufficient amount of time to regrow.

Also, my research has shown that you only synthesize a small amount of protein with each meal, as Locke touched on earlier. Any more, and it will be used as energy or stored as fat.
However, this shouldn't be a problem for meals, since they are digested and broken down slowly. It should be a problem for protein shakes. Whey protein specifically was noted.

So, I'm going to space out my milk more, so it doesn't all come in around the same time, and I can keep my body building (anabolic state) throughout the day.

However, more research(after I initially typed the above), shows that this is debatable. A controversial topic in the workout circles, and no conclusive answer has been reached. :roll:
Yet, I will give the spacing a try for a while.

I've also decided to add more protein during rest days. I've been pretty much focusing on protein solely on the days I workout, after I workout. Since the muscles grow when they rest, I need to concentrate on nonworkout days more, since that's when they are resting.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:51 am

Yoga is canceled this week, but the class is going to be extended through August, so I am not as bitter about the missed class as I could be.

I signed up for my first Zumba class tonight and I am terrified. I wish I had a friend who would take it with me.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:42 pm

I missed my Zumba class last night because I was running a 100.5 degree fever and I feel like a slug! I really love Zumba for exercise! It's really fun! And a good workout.
-Kim

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

installed a pullup bar in my apt, woo.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:28 pm

That was hard.

It's just so relentless.

Of course, it's only really hard because I am so freaking out of shape. I'll be back next week. But, WOW. Light-headed, semi-pukey feeling. How on earth did I let it get this bad?
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:33 am

What on earth is Zumba?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Gay. That's what Zumba is. It's dance-aerobics with a fancy name. Just another bullshit way for some jackass to make a boatload of money on gullible morons who need a more "fun" way to get off their fat asses and move around.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:02 pm

More or less true. And it's not particularly "fun" either.

But god knows I can't get any decent cardio any of the other ways I've been trying.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Try cardio kickboxing. Or wind sprints. The latter is certainly not "fun" by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the quickest/most efficient cardio you can get. 15 minutes of that is as good as 25 on a treadmill.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:39 pm

Wind sprints are about as close to the ninth circle of hell as you can get here on Earth.

In other news: Jogging outside when it is 101 degrees out is pretty much hell too.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm two days late to my workout cycle because I felt I wouldn't get enough protein.

Otherwise, there's the possibility that working out might just lead to my body breaking down my existing muscle tissue for protein or something to that affect, right?

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:40 pm

No, your body doesn't break down its own muscle to feed its own muscle. That's silly.

Even if you feel you aren't getting enough protein, still work out. Your muscles will still repair themselves and grow.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:07 pm

I've found that I've been able to build muscle successfully without making any special effort to consume more protein. Work your muscles and they'll grow stronger and bigger over time unless you're really malnourished. I suppose a high protein diet makes it happen faster though.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Try cardio kickboxing. Or wind sprints. The latter is certainly not "fun" by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the quickest/most efficient cardio you can get. 15 minutes of that is as good as 25 on a treadmill.
I LOVE cardio kickboxing but haven't been able to find a class around here.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Ah, you can do better than any class on your own. The trick with an organized class is that it makes you think you need the instructor to tell you when to push yourself and the other participants to keep your attention away from your own exertion. This is all in your head. You don't really need someone to tell you when to do what if you go in understanding that there is a simple equation: it's you versus you. Who wins?

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:55 pm

I admit, I fall victim to the "need" for instruction. Although I understand intellectually that I am perfectly capable of motivating myself, actually revving up that motivation in day to day life is extraordinarily difficult for me.

At the moment, my priority is DOING. If I am more likely to DO in a class with an instructor, that's the route I'm going to take at the moment. After five months of staring at my weights and neglecting my gym membership, it's become clear to me that at the moment instructing myself essentially means NOT doing.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Return to “Milagre Town Square”