Taxes

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Taxes

Postby Slim » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:23 pm

*dances*

Call me crazy, but I filed my taxes at the beginning of February.
I just got my huge refund during the last week.
I didn't expect them to send anything until April, but I guess it's best for them to get a head start.

Now all I need is an economic stimulus check. They probably won't send them out until May, though.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:09 pm

I worked at H&R Block for a couple years as a tax preparer and I am the rare individual who enjoys doing taxes. I still file taxes for my friends and family every year. I do mine as soon as I get my W-2s, which is usually by the end of January and if you do e-filing and direct deposit, you get the federal refund within a week and half.

Also, just so you don't get too excited about that "Tax Rebate" check (economic stimulus blah blah)...it is just an advance on next year's tax refund. So, they aren't actually giving you any extra money but rather, giving you some of your own money a little early. Next year, you will have to report the amount of the rebate you received and then subtract it from the refund you will get. They did the same thing in 2001, I believe.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:26 pm

I didn't get a refund this year :( I owe like 160 in fact. Usually I do my taxes the second I get my w2s and have my refund by february, but I'm holding off for another week or two before filing this year. I don't know if I'll get the economic stimulus handout because I'm not sure if the amount you get is based on this year's (2007) tax return or last years (2006) tax return. If it's based on 2006 then I should get the handout, if it's based on this years I don't think I"ll get one :(
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:53 am

Adam, as far as I understand it, no matter what you earn you'll get $300 back minimum from the stimulus package. That's what I'm gunning for. As for taxes.. well.. since I did a lot of contract work this year, I'll be paying a LOT to the damn government. Enough that I have to file quarterly from now on.

Being an adult sucks.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:28 am

This is the first year I have ever had to file taxes. I have no idea how to go about it. Wish me luck!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:55 am

Ditto Helen. Except they're weird taxes.... 'cause I just got a bunch of $$$ coming out of a conservatorship. Oh well.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:00 pm

I worked at H&R Block for a couple years as a tax preparer and I am the rare individual who enjoys doing taxes. I still file taxes for my friends and family every year.
Dad!? Have you been hiding on Pweb as a girl all these years?
The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:58 pm

Heh, nope...even girls can be weird enough to enjoy doing taxes. :P
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:05 pm

I get my taxes done every year for me. It's worth it to pay the accountant. I'm still a student, so I tend to get a lot back each year.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Slim
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Slim » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:22 pm

I worked at H&R Block for a couple years as a tax preparer and I am the rare individual who enjoys doing taxes. I still file taxes for my friends and family every year. I do mine as soon as I get my W-2s, which is usually by the end of January and if you do e-filing and direct deposit, you get the federal refund within a week and half.

Also, just so you don't get too excited about that "Tax Rebate" check (economic stimulus blah blah)...it is just an advance on next year's tax refund. So, they aren't actually giving you any extra money but rather, giving you some of your own money a little early. Next year, you will have to report the amount of the rebate you received and then subtract it from the refund you will get. They did the same thing in 2001, I believe.
This is what it says on the IRS Stimulus Payment FAQ page:
Q. Will the payment I receive in 2008 reduce my 2008 refund or increase the amount I owe for 2008?

A. No, the stimulus payment will not reduce your refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2008 return.
And my newspaper says the same thing, and adds that "There will be a requirement to report the amount of the payment on tax returns for 2008 ... [but it] is for record-keeping purposes only."

but, of course, knowing my luck, they'll just adjust the tax tables, or something like that so it all evens out.
I didn't get a refund this year Sad I owe like 160 in fact. Usually I do my taxes the second I get my w2s and have my refund by February, but I'm holding off for another week or two before filing this year. I don't know if I'll get the economic stimulus handout because I'm not sure if the amount you get is based on this year's (2007) tax return or last years (2006) tax return. If it's based on 2006 then I should get the handout, if it's based on this years I don't think I"ll get one
(I believe) it is based off the 2007 tax return, but it is based off your income, not your refund, if that is what you were thinking. Too bad for me, though. I earned more in 2006. I found This article helpful in telling me how much I would get back.
Slim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 pm

Hmm, that's interesting. I did some research on the 2001 rebate and it seems like it was for a different reason and thus was figured differently so maybe that is why it was just an "advance" on the following years refund. That would be very cool if this year was NOT the same. I won't get my hopes up only because when did the government/IRS ever do anything purely good for us, eh?

Slim
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Slim » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:59 pm

irs.gov added an Econoic Stimulus Payment Calculater. I'm glad. Even though I'm just getting $300, it's nice to have a calculator now.

On an unrelated note, yesterday I got a 1099-MISC from a job that I quit nearly a year and a half ago. Uhm... Thanks! I never got it in 2007, but I kept track of how much I got paid, so I was still able to take care of it last year.
Slim

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:29 pm

*dances*

I'm (we're) getting back over $2000 this year. Woo. Hoo.

It pays to be dirt poor.

And, AND we've started getting cheques for being pregnant. $75/month. Not a lot, but enough to save for baby stuff. It pays to be poor. And Canadian.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:36 pm

It pays to be [strike]poor. And [/strike]Canadian.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:44 pm

What?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:09 am

I filed and paid finally, owed 190 altogether but I'm getting the 600$ version of the handout=extra student loan payment. :) that'll stimulate the economy, bastards. heh. I'd rather stimulate my debt a little.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:58 am

Oh s***... Yeah, still need to do mine... But I have a very good excuse for not doing them! See, the world kinda blew up, and it just slipped all of our minds...

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:39 pm

@antoidgirl: That's not gonna convince the IRS. Cold heartless bastards! *shakes head*

@JL: It pays to be Canadian in general. No need to specify poor. Remember how strong the Canadian dollar is? Yeah. That helps rich ones too ;) Damn Canucks.

(And don't even get me started on your monopoly on lacrosse.... grrrrrr!)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:47 pm

I've already got mine back. The combo of a lot of work hours and some hefty education deductions made it a very, very good year.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Woohoo! I filed early! April 14th!

I swear, I'll beat this procrastination thing yet :)

Anyways, it's about the same as last year. Plus the $300 economic stimulus which I should get in late June, when it will be really needed to try to deal with moving expenses (because I didn't direct deposit).
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:16 pm

Sh*t!!!!! Gotta do that tomorrow!

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:20 am

I think your situation would definitely be grounds for an extension, Blue. We got an extension the year Will was born because he was born April 5th, so with all the stuff before and after, who's thinking about taxes? Talk to someone. I think it's a good enough reason.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Return to “Milagre Town Square”