Please help me out with something?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Please help me out with something?

Postby Claire » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:31 pm

So, I just got voted recording secretary in one of the clubs I'm in, and basically my only responsibility is to take the minutes down during the meetings and then email them to everyone afterwards (how I am going to keep up with the typing with a broken arm has yet to be determined). I want to add in jokes, riddles and fun links to the minutes to make them more fun to read and less like a chore. Got anything? I'm pretty much the least creative person in the world so any other suggestions on how to make them more interesting would be amazing.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:08 pm

I think I'll let someone else have a go at that one... I'm bad at determining what's appropriate.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:54 pm

What kind of a club is it? That might help in pointing you towards fun things that are on topic.
What I might do is pick random words from the minutes and google them, finding a game or a wiki article related to that word.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:00 pm

Rickroll and Bel Air them.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Years and years ago, when I was recording secretary for my college dorm (I used a TYPEWRITER!), I wrote the weekly minutes in the form of a story--a new genre each week, and all the participants were characters in the story.

Throughout the tale, all the information that I had to present got presented, but in an amusing and interesting format.

I knew it was a successful approach, because people would take the minutes down a day or so after I posted them on the dorm-room walls, and save them (yes, they saved them--I asked)!

And it also kept me from going stir-crazy having to write all those minutes.

Be careful, though. I wound up making fun of the dorm VP (I made his character the butt of a number of jokes one week), and he didn't speak to me for over a month. Actually...now that I think of it, I remember that as being a GOOD thing!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Years and years ago, when I was recording secretary for my college dorm (I used a TYPEWRITER!)
Did you ride a dinosaur to school too?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:30 pm

Silly! Dinosaurs and typewriters were NOT cotemporaneous!

My PARENTS rode dinosaurs to school!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:03 am

Wait wait wait
do you mean there was a time when there wasn't *gasp* computers? Not even internet?

How the hell did people write by then???? How did they ever find information????????
:shock:

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:49 pm

We went to the library. And made notecards. And we liked it!!
Ok. Nuff said. I didn't get into computers until my senior year in highschool.
At least more than ogling them from afar.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:39 pm

I used microfiche in my highschool library all the time for research papers! Wow, searching microfiche sucked. We did have computers and I used them for typing said papers but the internet was not really much yet in the early 90s. I even wrote one of my hs papers on OSC. The topic was "Does the end justify the means?" and how that related to both EG and Xeno.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:55 pm

Well, I was using GWBASIC on an acoustic modem link to the BOCES computer in junior year HS.

You know you're a geek when you can sing to the acoustic modem and hit the tone for an ampersand 4 times out of five.

Micro-fiche! How...modern! WE had to use micro-FILM!
--Boothby

Return to “Milagre Town Square”