Jane Eyre

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Jane Eyre

Postby Rei » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:53 pm

As promised, we're going to kick off the book club for March. You will want to look at the revised rules in this thread. We are going to do a pair of complementary books for the next two months: first, Jane Eyre, and then The Eyre Affair. We will post the divisions shortly so that you can begin reading.

(Moving these to the top so they're easier to find.)
Alright, here are the deadlines:

9 March: up to Vol. I Ch. XII (Ch. 12 if not divided by volumes)
16 March: up to Vol. II Ch. VI (Ch. 21)
23 March: up to Vol. III Ch. III (Ch. 29)
And 30 March will bring us to the end.

Remember, no posting spoilers before each deadline, and if you haven't read that far, be aware that spoilers are fair game. Happy Reading!
Last edited by Rei on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:38 pm

I'm so excited! I don't know if I've ever participated in a book club discussion before but I really want to do this one. Jane Eyre is one of my favorites but I haven't read it in years. I love love love the movie (with William Hurt) and I'm glad to have a reason to reread it. And I've never heard of The Eyre Affair but from the quick summary I read, it looks really interesting. Yay!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:24 am

Also, as it so happens, Jane Eyre is a Project Gutenberg book -- meaning its copyright has expired in the USA, meaning you can get and read the book (with illustrations) for free here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1260/1260-h/1260-h.htm

Just thought it might be handy for some peoples.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:08 am

I completely forgot to check there. Thank-you for the link, Wil.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

GodInYourEyes
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GodInYourEyes » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:17 am

:D yaaaaay

Im off to find me that book. I hope its not hard to find.
Lost in the dark with only one light to guide us

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:35 pm

For reals? These books sound like homework. Someone please reassure me that they're not too stuffy for a 20-something working stiff.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:27 pm

You've obviously never read the Eyre Affair if you think it's going to be stuffy. I can't speak for Jane Eyre as this will be my first time through it, myself, but generally I've heard good things about it.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:42 pm

For reals? These books sound like homework. Someone please reassure me that they're not too stuffy for a 20-something working stiff.
:roll:

Jane Eyre is a classic and The Eyre Affair is brilliant and hilarious. If by "too stuffy" you mean "likely to make me smarter" then you're right. Don't read them.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:34 am

Oh cut the pretension. You know precisely what I mean. I don't read books because they're 'classics.' I've read too many classics that bored me to tears. I will, however, read a classic if it is both brilliant and hilarious, which is precisely the sort of reassurance I asked for to begin with.

Oh, and for good measure: :roll:

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:43 am

The Eyre Affair is unquestionably brilliant and hilarious, Ollie. As is the rest of the series from all accounts.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:58 am

The Eyre Affair is unquestionably brilliant and hilarious, Ollie. As is the rest of the series from all accounts.
Okay. I'm in.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:31 am

I'll add support to The Eyre Affair. It is weird and original and very, very funny. Same for the rest of the series. It even has me willing to read Jane Eyre so I can understand some of the jokes better. I'll have to discuss The Eyre Affair from memory, sadly, since my copy is at home. Or maybe someone in the house has one. Anyway. Thumbs up for free reading!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:29 pm

The Joan Crawford version of the film is on my to watch list for March/April, so I might as well read the book beforehand. :)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:11 pm

My sisters quite enjoyed that film, I think. I haven't seen it yet, myself.

So far I am loving this book far more than I thought I would and I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:19 am

hey this book is good.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:38 pm

I will admit, that is something of my surprise, as well. I fully expected to enjoy it as a literary work, and appreciate its merits in that way. But only a chapter or two in and I find I loved Jane. This is a very pleasant discovery for me and I'm sad it took me this long to actually read the story.

And when Helen died, that was very sad indeed! I liked her and I can see how her dying has so far been good for the story, but so sad! I am very much looking forward to seeing how Jane's new employment treats her.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:01 pm

I didn't realize how many people were reading this for the first time! Yes, it is great. I really like how Bronte describes the physical appearance of people but makes it reflect their inner qualities too. It's as if Jane can only see the beauty in good natured people and the ugly in the ill tempered.

I actually finished through chapter 12 a couple nights ago, so I started rereading it and wrote down a couple words that I didn't know the meanings of (something I often do when reading Bronte or Austen):

poltroon: a spiritless coward
animadversion: adverse criticism
hebdomadal: weekly

And my favorite quote so far, very helpful and relevant to my current situation:

"How minutely you remember all she has done and said to you! What a singularly deep impression her injustice seems to have made on your heart! ... Would you not be happier if you tried to forget her severity, together with the passionate emotions it excited? Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." - Helen to Jane
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

GodInYourEyes
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GodInYourEyes » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:57 am

helen's death was sad, she was a wise person to forgive people
who have done her wrong. I didn't like that she thought she was
bad, she was a saint.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:32 pm

I did find it fitting, although a bit startling, for her to view herself as bad. She fits a similar model to many saint stories where people see their sins and are constantly aware of them in their perpetual drive to be better people. So we see her as a good person -- a saintly person, even -- and her humility is what makes that possible. She could have been made a more self-confident person, but I think that would have detracted from her portrayal as a classic Saint.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

GodInYourEyes
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GodInYourEyes » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:23 am

Any one else hate the Reeds? say eye.
I think Jane is going to run into them later
in the story. maybe close to the end.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:53 am

So...you guys still going?

It's hard for me to say things without reflecting my knowledge of the whole story, but I'll try. Doesn't it seem cruel how Mr. Rochester makes Jane come socialize with the "party" every evening when she is so miserable there? I mean, what do you guys think is his motive? Seeing how she reacts? Showing off his friends? What?

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:37 pm

I confess that school work has caught up to me, so I am a bit behind. But I hope to be caught up tomorrow.

Thus far: Grace Poole is a singularly unnerving individual. And as for Mr Rochester and how he treats Jane, he is strange. And almost cruel. I look forward to seeing more into his reasoning and hopefully seeing him straightened out a little.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:10 am

I too am waiting to chime in til the end. I read this book so often and haven't had a spare moment to reread it now; I'm afraid I'll spoil someone.

I fully plan to read along with THE EYRE AFFAIR though, which I've never read.

I love Jane and always have and always will. I confess, though, now that I am "grown up," to finding Rochester rather repellent.
Last edited by Young Val on Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:42 am

I confess, though, now that I am "grown up," to finding Rochester rather repellent.
I agree! I love Jane and both feel bad for her for loving such an oaf but also respect her for being stronger in constitution than I was when in such a position. Rochester reminds me too much of men I've known in real life. All waxing poetic one minute and then suddenly turning into a selfish, ranting toddler. I swear he has borderline personality disorder (or a related disorder).

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:36 pm

I've finished up through chapter six, enjoying the book a great deal, I wish I had more time to read. going to try to finish part I today. I especially loved Helen's monologue at the end of Chapter five. Never expected to actually enjoy this book. I may actually have to read a jane austen novel at some point now, as I've avoided her despite liking the movie Sense and Sensibility a great deal.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:29 am

heh, the other night this book unlocked a lead character name problem I've had for an idea I've had brewing for about six years now. Then last night (I've now finished up through chapter 12 of part 1, and discovered that there are another three or four chapters in part 1, but I'm glad I got to meet Rochester, he looks like Orson Welles in my mind and I've not even seen the movie yet, but Welles was inspired casting, can't wait to see the movie, even if it means sitting through a Joan Crawford performance). Anyway, as I was saying before digressing into a long parenthetical aside (heh), last night while mulling over the book and Helen's doctrine of universal salvation in my mind suddenly about twenty different things snapped into focus for me untangling a mess of a problem I had about not knowing what actually happened in one of the final scenes of a short story I've been working on for almost a year now. I lay there for a moment letting the ideas develop, crystallize and settle into a form in my short term memory then grabbed my laptop and proceeded to hurridly boot it up so I could get the ideas down asap. very happy I think I may be able to finish "Dawn's Early Light" next weekend and begin revising and rewriting it to get it how I want it. :)

I want to name a dog Pilot now, great name for a dog.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:23 pm

I cannot express my thoughts about Mr. Rochester. His actions are so very repulsive to me and I'm having a hard time imagining at this point any pleasure at the idea of them having a romance together.

In particular, this quote struck me:
[Rochester:]'..you have neither relatives nor acquaintances whome you need fear to offend by living with me.'

[Jane:]This was true: and while he spoke my very Conscience and Reason turned traitors against me, and charged me with crime in resisting him. They spoke almost as loud as Feeling: and that clamoured wildly. 'O, comply!' it said. 'Think of his misery; think of his danger--look at his state when left alone: remember his headlong nature; consider the recklessness following on despair--soothe him; save him; love him: tell him you love him and will be his. Who in the world cares for you? or who will be injured by what you do?'

Still indomitable was the reply--'I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad--as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour: stringent are they; inviolate they shall be.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:57 pm

I can even understand why he kept it a secret from Jane, I know how faulty human reasoning works. But what really bothers me is his selfishness and bad temper towards her. She is the younger, less experienced one and yet has to be the one to act with maturity and temperance. The strength she shows in the pursuit of staying true to herself, even at great cost to her desires, is really inspiring to me.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:22 pm

finished part I, working through Part II (yeah I'm going slow, oy) I stopped right as the women at the party noticed Jane. I'm intrigued by Rochester, he strikes me as a very Simon Cowell type figure. I certainly enjoy his conversations with Jane more than any other aspect of the novel (save maybe when she tells off her aunt and talks with Helen).

Also I'll make a thread in film club for Jane Eyre, and for the Eyre affair I think Atonement might be a good companion, I think there are influences of the Brontes in Atonement and it's an interesting modern twisting and inversion on this kind of story I think. Briony in Atonement reminds me so much of Jane Eyre as a child.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:52 am

Anyone finish? When are we starting Eyre Affair? I'm picking it up at the library today.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:46 pm

The first checkpoint for THE EYRE AFFAIR will be Monday April 14th. Further breakdown of chapters to follow!!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:58 pm

But what's the first break point for the 14th?

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:14 pm

I'm so sorry for slacking on this. School has been beating me left, right, and centre. I've posted divisions for The Eyre Affair, and I'll try to post my thoughts on Jane Eyre very soon. I did quite enjoy it, although I am very torn on my feelings of Mr. Rochester.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:31 pm

Jane Eyre was a superb read. she starts off as fabulous a child character as you can ask for, self aware, but ignorant of life experiences, independent and the equal (if not the superior) to the adults. she experiences a terrible education but does not wallow in despair or despondancy but exploits and utiliizes it to her full ability, mining success out of Lowood that one likes to think is unprecedented.

She makes herself a life as a governess, and from the first meeting with Rochester, you know Brontë is going to lead you on a fascinating and unique courtship as two unlikely equals (in personality, countenance and mind) strike sparks off each other before they are yet aware how tightly their lives will become entertwined.

throughout the book I was alternately enthralled and frustrated at the progression of their story, first of all with Rochester for telling Jane he intended to marry ms Ingram (I thought Rochester was trying to make Jane jealous) and then cross with Jane for being so upset at Rochester for wanting to buy her nice things (I thought Jane was going to ruin things by being so bitchy, then realized, about a page before she spelled it out, that rather than the accoutrements helping others see her beauty they would instead make her feel like a whore and make others think her an unjumped golddigger), I kept wondering where the novel would suddenly turn once again to misfortune as they headed to their wedding, and was quite put off at how they were waylaid in the ceremony (Brontë writes this brilliantly, "when is the pause after that sentence ever broken by reply? Not, perhaps, once in a hundred years." there is a terrifically cinematic sense of timing and drama to how she sets up and pays off little moments such as this throughout the book, such as the reveal of the burned Thornfield, the evocative prose is really what made this such a surprise and delight to read.

I was slightly stunned that the inmate Grace Poole was keeping watch over was Rochester's wife rather than his bastard sister, I didn't expect that. I was stunned at Rochester's audacity in attempting to marry Jane, yet I also perfectly understood his reasoning for wanting her to be his bride when he explained his frustration and searching. It was a mean and awful thing he was prepared to do but I did comprehend it, infact in modern culture his would almost be the expected response (meaning, most people would agree "you're not really married" which is why we grant divorces so readily to women (and men) whose spouses have been incarcarated in prison or mental institutions). Asking Jane to be his mistress while they traveled abroad was over the line. Jane's battle with her sexual desires and her desire to be true to her principles and person was unexpectedly powerful, I was particularly reminded of this when Rei quoted the key passage, worth mentioning again (thanks for typing it up!)
This was true: and while he spoke my very Conscience and Reason turned traitors against me, and charged me with crime in resisting him. They spoke almost as loud as Feeling: and that clamoured wildly. 'O, comply!' it said. 'Think of his misery; think of his danger--look at his state when left alone: remember his headlong nature; consider the recklessness following on despair--soothe him; save him; love him: tell him you love him and will be his. Who in the world cares for you? or who will be injured by what you do?'

Still indomitable was the reply--'I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad--as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour: stringent are they; inviolate they shall be.
speaking of divorce, if anyone knows why Rochester couldn't obtain one in his era I'd be curious to know. I know divorce wasn't often granted, but it was obtainable, I believe, because that's why king Henry whatever number created the church of england and split from the catholic church. Answering my own question, is it because asking for divorce would force the Rochesters to both acknowledge the marraige as well as injuring the good name of the Masons?

I was utterly furious with Jane for dispensing with all her money on a carriage ride rather than reserving some of it (meaning she should never have told the coachman the full amount she possessed), and her attempts at begging were heartbreaking. On the other hand, I loved the cousins long before Hannah opens the door to Jane (though I never really liked st. John at all). and Jane's recuperation in their company was wonderful to read (even though I had foreboding of John attemptin to force a marraige because he logically deemed it necessary/appropriate). From the moment the letter arrived saying "our uncle John is dead" I ascertained that this was also Jane's uncle in Madiera, though I couldn't quite keep straight how all the relations worked out between her and the reeds and the Rivers, I was relieved when it was finally all spelled out. Jane did precisely what I expected and hoped she would do with her inheritance (and what I would do with it) and I cheered her lustily that she did exactly what should have been done. Brontë kept me consistently just a teensy bit worried that Jane would give into St. John, though I knew she wouldn't, again, the writing of the argument between the two of them, re marraige is simply superb, a fantastic battle of wills, minds, and philosophies/theologies.

The return to Thornfield, the discovery of events after Jane's leaving, and her return to Rochester are some of the best writing I've ever read and one of the more satisfying and romantic endings I've ever come across. absolutely outstanding in every way. Hooray for Jane Eyre. :)
Last edited by locke on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:32 pm

You are really good at reviews, Adam. You should do it for a living :)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”