!!!MATCHED!!!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

!!!MATCHED!!!

Postby starlooker » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:04 am

I am MATCHED!! MATCHED, I TELL YOU!!! I AM GOING ON INTERNSHIP THIS SUMMER!!!!

(Quick explanation for those of you who don't know me or don't know what Matched is. I am a Ph.D. student in Counseling Psychology. Aspiring Psychologists are required to go on a year-long APA accredited internship. The application process for this is known as the match -- matching students to sites. Unfortunately, there are far more students than spots, and last year one out of four -- nearly one out of three -- did not get a spot. This is, basically, the most important event in my academic career. Frankly, I place a lot more import on this than on my dissertation.)

Oh. My. God. These last several months have been the most nerve wracking of my life, and my life has not been exactly uneventful.

I know, I know. This could go in the dissertation story thread. But I just feel a need to scream this to the entire world at the to of my lungs!!!

After the applications, the rejections, the interviews, the fears and phobias and frights -- it all worked out. Oh my god. I can't wait to find out where I'm going.

Unfortunately, I have to wait. Till Monday.

I did it. I got through. Reasonably intact.

And so far at least two other people matched from my cohort, including one of my good buddies.

None of the previous milestones that was supposed to bring feelings of relief actually brought any. This one did. I am MATCHED.

Nothing else matters.

What a crazy, torturous way to run a profession. But it's over. I survived and made it out the other side.

God, I hope there were no casualties in our department along the way. We'll find out when we meet in an hour or so.

!!!!I MATCHED!!!!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:56 am

Congrats!! Hooray!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:07 am

Yay!!!

Yay yay yay yay yay!
-Kim

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:45 am

Yay Youuuuuu!
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:47 am

How exciting! You so deserve it. And I can't wait to find out where you will be spending the next year! Did I mention, I wish you were my therapist??
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:49 am

WOOOOOOOOOO!

That's AWESOME! Congratulations so much!!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks everyone!

It'll be either Wichita, Cleveland, Detroit, or Tacoma.

Oh my god. Every single one of us matched. All seven. The odds against that in one department are huge. It's so happy. If any of us had not matched, it would completely cast a huge cloud over this. But no clouds, no angst, nothing but smiles and hugs and hopes and dreams. This is possibly the best day I have had since coming to this department in 2003.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:31 am

yaaay!

GodInYourEyes
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GodInYourEyes » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:41 am

Thats great! good for you. :)
Lost in the dark with only one light to guide us

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:14 am

That's awesome! Congratulations!

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:01 pm

Yay! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:01 pm

That's awesome!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:15 pm

Congrats!!

Do you prefer any of them sites or are you so happy that you don't give a flying doo-doo?

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks again folks!

I pretty well listed them in the order of preference -- but, honestly, I would be very happy at any of them.

At least, that's how I feel at the moment. I may start agonizing again tomorrow. :)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 pm

That's so exciting! I'm so happy for you!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:58 pm

Huge congrats. I'm thrilled for you :-)

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:23 pm

If you end up in Tacoma we could hang ;) At least it would be closer than any other pwebber i know of.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:35 am

Sorry, Eri, but you totally made me think of this Jason Webley song.

"How big
How big
Is Tacoma?"
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:36 am

Wichita! YAY!!!

That was the most awesome interview. I am THRILLED. I definitely was hoping for that site and now I have it! It's MINE!
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:14 am

Is this internship the last step in becoming a full flegged psychologist? What if you didn't get matched? Would you have to another year until you have the opportunity to get matched to a site?

P.S Congrats on the site. Nothing quite like getting exactly what you want.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:40 am

Yup! The Internship and the Dissertation are generally the last hurdles we have to jump prior to being sent off into the world as full-fledged Ph.D.s. Internship is somewhat analogous to a medical residency. Basically, I'll be functioning as a psychologist, except with more supervision and some didactic learning opportunities at my site.

There are a few options if you don't get matched initially. If I hadn't matched, right now I'd be trying to negotiate Clearinghouse -- a process through which some people do end up getting excellent sites. See, how the match works is that students and sites both post their rankings in order of preference, and a big computer works it out so that the best possible match is achieved based on both student and site preference. However, through this system not only do students not necessarily match, but some sites won't match if all the students they ranked match somewhere else. So some sites end up without students. In Clearinghouse, those sites which don't have students post their open positions, which students frantically send out applications and vitas to try and fill positions quickly. From what I understand, it's a terribly stressful process.

Additionally, a student could opt to apply at non-APA (American Psychological Association) accredited sites, many of which promise APA-equivalencies, as often they are working towards becoming accredited. This is a risky thing to do, in that there are some jobs (such as working in the VA system) that will not accept psychologists from non-accredited internship sites. Also, many APA accredited Ph.D. programs (including mine) will not allow (or rarely allow) students to graduate without accredited internships. You cannot, except under the most rare of circumstances, do a non-accredited internship one year and then do an accredited one the next. This is HIGHLY frowned upon by APA, the programs, and the world in general. I do know one person who did so; however, it wasn't her original plan and the department had to move heaven and earth to make this happen (and based on that experience I doubt there's any way in the world my department would ever again consider allowing a student to accept a non-accredited site -- she TRULY went through hell at that site). This brings me to the other problem with non-accredited sites, which is that they really don't have a board overlooking them and aren't as accountable for giving you a good educational experience -- even if they are seeking accreditation.

That said, even with those options, odds are this year that one in five students will not match. While this is better than last year, it's still not good. It's truly a professional crisis, which a lot of people (myself included) blame on the proliferation of Psy.D. programs (as well as on the APA for allowing such an imbalance between programs and sites, as it has some regulatory power in this arena). If a non-match happens, then the best thing to do is try to get practicum experience, publish, and up your chances for the next year. It is a miserable position to be in, and I was truly frightened of it for both myself and my friends going out this year. However, it can work -- people survive the year, and often match the next year.

Dissertation and Internship are the final hurdles for the degree, but they are not the final hurdles in the career. If you don't go into academia (where the hurdle of tenure looms large) you need to get licensed. After I get the Ph.D., I'll still have to log 2000 supervised hours (with the money for supervision being paid out of my own pocket) before I can take the EPPP exam for licensure. Other licensure requirements vary by state (being licensed basically means you can practice without supervision, and you get better pay). There's currently a (hotly debated) movement in the field as to whether or not hours prior to the Ph.D. should count towards licensure. While that would be nice, thinking of the profession as a whole, I don't particularly like the idea. However, que sera. It's not going to happen this year, at any rate, so it's not something I have an option for.

This may be more of an answer than you wanted :)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:51 pm

Darlingest, so many congratulations! I know you are going to kick ass at this. Keep us all posted on the site! I am just so darn happy for you, my SWPHEPWEBer. You deserve a party!

"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Congratulations! I have personal negative feelings attached to Wichita (that's where my two cousins are from) but I've never been there and I welcome the chance to develop a new connection to it. Yay for Kirsten!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:34 pm

That's very awesome that you got the site you wanted! And generally awesome that you got a site, as the alternative sounds like something out of my nightmares...
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”