The Race Relations/Diversity/Equality Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:14 pm

Me
*edit*

Black People I've been claimed to look like:
ImageImage
"Wait, are you guys brothers?"

ImageImage
(His twin brother)
"I saw this pianist that looked JUST like you. I actually thought it was you. You have a twin."

ImageImageImage
...Dave Chappelle

I s*** you not
Uncle Amos

._.
Last edited by CezeN on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:00 pm

LOL

supposedly there's someone a few towns over that looks like me.

if i did my hair different and was shorter, apparently i'd look just like my grandfather. he died before i was born so i've never met him to know for myself. but i hear it all the time. i thought about going as him for halloween and scaring the crap out of my mom and gramma. ;)
Ubernaustrum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:41 am

Word has only recently filtered down from my fellow undergrads about this, but I want to share it because I am appalled and disgusted.

http://geekfeminism.org/2011/03/13/sexi ... -waterloo/

http://www.gender-focus.com/2011/02/23/ ... -waterloo/

Basically, some anonymous male (presumably, anyway) decided to cover up the posters of female candidates running for student government with an anti-woman poster which blamed Marie Curie for the atomic bomb and accused women of moral deficiency. A facebook profile and a mass email impersonating the president of the university followed.

It's scary because of what it is. It's even more scary because it happened around the anniversary of the Ecole Polytechnique massacre, at an engineering school.

I am furious that this is happening at my school. We're better than this!!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:58 am

I actually tell my students that girls are smarter so the boys better work harder or get left behind. :)

I have no doubt that girls can kick ass in all fields of science if they choose to, and I watched them do it in chemistry and biochem throughout my university career.

It's sad that some men have such fragile egos and are so insecure that they feel intellectually threatened by the whole female gender.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 pm

There were two men at my church, Lee and Henry who were always getting confused with each other. Both tall, grey haired, skinny men, wore glasses, just kinda looked alike. Both married to women named Lois. Tended to sit in a similar spot in church.
It became a running joke that people would get them confused. Most people kinda thought that it was just because they were seen together so much.

However, Lee had moved into the city from a small town (where he had been a doctor) and one day Henry visited that town, and as he sat in the cafe, a total stranger walked up to him and asked "Are you by chance related to Dr. Lee ____?"
"No," He said "But I get that a lot."
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun May 08, 2011 3:58 pm

http://www.thestar.com/news/sciencetech ... und-is-off

Here I thought JD and Turk had such a strong bromance!

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notro ... %99s-pain/
Cracked.com
As you can imagine, the subjects literally felt the pain in their own hands ... as long as the hand on the screen was of the same race. The result was the same for the white and black participants -- they couldn't feel as much empathy for a member of another race.

And if you're about to say, "That's not racism! That's an involuntary response based on the fact that the hand being injured just didn't look like their own!" Hey, that's what the researchers thought, too, so they also included a purple hand. Subjects felt empathy toward it just fine. That's right -- the subjects couldn't muster empathy for a fellow human of another race but cringed at the thought of somebody hurting a f****** Night Elf.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon May 09, 2011 12:26 am

http://www.thestar.com/news/sciencetech ... und-is-off

Here I thought JD and Turk had such a strong bromance!

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notro ... %99s-pain/
Cracked.com
As you can imagine, the subjects literally felt the pain in their own hands ... as long as the hand on the screen was of the same race. The result was the same for the white and black participants -- they couldn't feel as much empathy for a member of another race.

And if you're about to say, "That's not racism! That's an involuntary response based on the fact that the hand being injured just didn't look like their own!" Hey, that's what the researchers thought, too, so they also included a purple hand. Subjects felt empathy toward it just fine. That's right -- the subjects couldn't muster empathy for a fellow human of another race but cringed at the thought of somebody hurting a f****** Night Elf.
hmmmm interesting...
But i see all hands are male, which raise very little empathy on their own right... the difference between the amount of empathy they produce might be even larger than their... uh... absolute empathy amount. Might not be a significant statistic...

They should have tried mixing in female hands, too, and see if the response is similar. Is an individual really racist when they only hate people their own gender (or opposite gender if they are gay)?
XD

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon May 09, 2011 7:34 pm

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon May 09, 2011 9:18 pm

After clicking on the link and seeing the article's title, I thought I had read enough to deem it complete and utter bullshit. I had a moment's pause, thought I was perhaps judging too quickly, so I went back and read the article. My first reaction was right.

Not that I go around using the word "pet" all that often -it hardly ever comes up in conversation and when it does, I usually say "my dogs"- but to say that's un-PC and archaic, well, that's [insert another un-PC word here]*.

*Apologies if that unfortunate joke causes offense to Ali and similar. The fact that I'm apologizing ahead of time means I recognize it's unkind and shouldn't do it but it's so ironic, I kind of have to. Right? *guilt*
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 pm

That poll restored my faith in humanity.
The enemy's fly is down.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 am

Good grief... I really do like animals, but I do not have patience for people who insist on their equality with human beings. 'Pet' and 'wild animal' can be derogatory when applied to humans (and not always even then!) because they compare a person to a subjugated/trained or unreasoning beast respectively. Trying to say that a creature which does not have the capacity for language, let alone understand the terms save for what the tone they're spoken in may imply, is harmed by these names which do describe it actually by definition is absurd.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 13, 2011 5:25 pm

I've been pondering contacting the local Faith and Light group (sister movement to l'Arche), because I'd really like my kids to grow up with that sort of exposure and humanity.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri May 13, 2011 5:33 pm

I had never heard of that so I just looked it up on wikipedia. Do they have actual religious services or just meetings/gatherings?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 13, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm not sure yet. Probably both. It's interfaith, though, so everyone is welcome for what they are comfortable with.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri May 13, 2011 6:20 pm

I would expect probably the occasional inter-denominational service. Definitely more focus on spirituality than on theology, though, I'd expect.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue May 31, 2011 1:16 am

KKK counterprotests Westboro at Arlington

This is a little weird. I'm sure the Klan had their own twisted reasons for being there, though. Probably something along the lines of "You think we're evil? We're not as bad as them!"
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue May 31, 2011 3:52 am

KKK counterprotests Westboro at Arlington

This is a little weird. I'm sure the Klan had their own twisted reasons for being there, though. Probably something along the lines of "You think we're evil? We're not as bad as them!"
Say what you want about Westboro, they've never killed anyone. KKK=more evil.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue May 31, 2011 6:07 am

I'll be honest, I didn't even realise the KKK were still around! I would have thought they would be counted as a banned organisation or something.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue May 31, 2011 10:02 am

1st Ammendment = Freedom of assembly, freedom of speech. (Not freedom to kill, harrass, destroy property, etc., of course.) I don't think the USA has any "banned" organizations that I'm aware of. Honestly, that concept has never occurred to me.

As far as who's more evil, I don't really care. I want nothing to do with either of them. In this case, the enemy of my enemy is still my enemy.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:01 am

Word has only recently filtered down from my fellow undergrads about this, but I want to share it because I am appalled and disgusted.

Basically, some anonymous male (presumably, anyway) decided to cover up the posters of female candidates running for student government with an anti-woman poster which blamed Marie Curie for the atomic bomb and accused women of moral deficiency. A facebook profile and a mass email impersonating the president of the university followed.

It's scary because of what it is. It's even more scary because it happened around the anniversary of the Ecole Polytechnique massacre, at an engineering school.

They found and arrested the guy. I am pleased.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 pm

I thought the KKK was a terrorist group?

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Well, yes, they were during previous centuries. There have been a few different organizations that used the name, but they were initially formed as a group that terrorized people who were "different" than the group i.e. certain religions, races/ethnic groups, or people with certain political views. If the KKK is just a protesting group now, well, I think that says something.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:27 am

They found and arrested the guy. I am pleased.
Meee, too. That was such an appalling thing all around.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Guess what... Marvel comics has decided to kill off Peter Parker and introduce a new Spider-man; a half-black, half-Hispanic teen named Miles Morales.

Well, sort of. Let me explain: Back around 2000 or so Marvel decided to launch a line of comics that would essentially represent a modern reboot to their superhero universe, thus allowing new readers to jump in without feeling lost in decades of backstory. Their mainstream continuity continues to exists of course, but the "Ultimate" Marvel Universe which began with "Ultimate Spider-man" exists parallel to it.

Thus, it's the Ultimate version of Peter Parker who has been killed off and replaced. His mainstream counterpart remains unchanged.

Anyway, Marvel representatives have made statements such as the following:
"It's certainly long overdue. Even though there's some amazing African-American and minority characters bouncing around in all the superhero universes, it's still crazy lopsided."
"What you have is a Spider-Man for the 21st century who's reflective of our culture and diversity. We think that readers will fall in love with Miles Morales the same way they fell in love with Peter Parker."
"Maybe sooner or later a black or gay — or both — hero will be considered something absolutely normal."

I don't like this. If they want to have a more diverse cast in superhero comics and give young minority kids someone who looks like them to look up to that's great, but do that by creating new heroes who aren't jokes or blatant stereotypes. Don't do it by killing off iconic characters for the sake of political correctness.

*sigh* Hopefully this will flop and Peter will be back in his tights within a year. So does anyone else have thoughts on ethnic swaps of well known characters?

P.S.
It should also be noted that while many movie-goers know Nick Fury as a black guy played by Samuel L. Jackson in Ironman, Thor, and all the other Avengers tie-in movies, in comics only the Ultimate version of Fury is black while in mainstream continuity he has been white since he first appeared decades ago.
Last edited by neo-dragon on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:15 pm

I just love how these things are "announced". Newsflash, comics: things aren't exciting or interesting if you tell everyone that they're happening before they actually do. A reboot? Requires announcement. A sudden twist like a death or someone else taking up the mantle? That's kind of a spoiler.

Now, that's just what I'm annoyed about in general. The fact that they're somehow proud of themselves for replacing a character in an alternate continuity with someone else who is a race is so stupid I almost can't comment. I've also read much more ridiculous quotes from Marvel about it than you've put here, neo, but I can't recall them. Plus, Spider-Man isn't even a legacy character. If it was a black Green Lantern, no one would really--

Oh yeah.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 pm

It's not that they're replacing Peter with a minority character that bothers me. It's that they did it deliberately to show off how culturally aware they are without making the culture the point. They started with the determination that the character should be a minority and then went from there. They didn't want to craft a story that would be better served by a minority character. They wanted a minority character for its own sake. Which, while not racist in the prejudicial sense, is still an attempt to convey the message that minorities are different in some fundamental way that deserves attention.

If they wanted a hero that starts out as a fish-out-of-water and whose powers force him to come to grips with understanding that life is much more complex and varied than a simple division between the way things should be and the way things are, that's a story that would be served well by a minority character. Or if they wanted to involve gangs or drug trafficking having personally affected the hero, it's easier to do that with a minority hero. Hell, for Spiderman in particular you can carry on the "With great power comes great responsibility" theme and have a character who wants to use his powers just to protect him and his family but eventually realizes he has to take on a bigger fight to do that properly.

You mentioned Nick Fury, and he was swapped out in the Ultimate continuity with Sam Jackson not so they could say, "Oh hey, look, Nick Fury's black!" but so it's immediately communicated that this is a more reckless, badass Nick Fury than the career soldier we're used to (And so Sam Jackson would be a lock to play him in the movies). Similarly, they could have easily communicated that this new Spiderman will be less sheltered than Peter was, less fixated on personal struggles and losses like Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy, by making him a minority character who comes up with a cultural knowledge of societal struggle over equality (Especially relevant given the nature of Marvel's recent storylines).

But no, it's just Marvel being politically correct, trotting out the minority like a yuppie with their one black friend so everyone knows they're hip to this sort of thing. Has everyone forgotten by blackface was offensive?
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:24 pm

To be fair, we still know nothing of the new spidey's origin, so maybe they do intend to create stories in which his ethnicity is more than just a gimmick and is relevant to the themes. Nonetheless, I suspect that you're right and that the primary motivation was for Marvel to show off how progressive they are by having a minority wear the tights of their flagship character.

Apparently Brian Michael Bendis, the creative force behind Ultimate Spider-man adopted a couple of black kids from Ethiopia and said something to the effect of wanting them to have a hero who means as much to them has Peter Parker has to him. I'd like to think that kids (and even adults) look to these heroes for inspiration simply because they're heroes. Why does the colour of their skin even have to be a factor? Batman is my favourite superhero. However, Spider-man (Peter) is the superhero who I relate to the most. He's a wise-cracking, down-to-earth, science geek who doesn't know what he's doing half the time but does his best anyway. The fact that he's white and I'm not has never made it hard for me to relate to him. I find it almost insulting to suggest that it should.

Of course, maybe that's just because I'm a big old Oreo. :roll:
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Stumbled across this blog via Cracked
http://theassimilatednegro.blogspot.com/

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Speaking of slavery in America I recommend the novel "Kindred" by Octavia E. Butler. It's about a black woman from the 1970s who's sent back in time to the south in the early 1800s.

I highly recommend Butler in general.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:04 pm

I think I'll check that out, I don't think I've read anything by Butler. I also reread Roots every few years.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:41 pm

Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:52 pm

I lold so f****** hard

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:15 am

This is actually happening.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:12 am

This is actually happening.

Some of the attitudes in that video make me sick. I honestly can't fathom the sort of ignorance that fuels that and I say that knowing I have a lot left to learn myself. Trying to preserve/protect the American way of life, my backside.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:49 am

Milwaukee is a very racially charged city. There have been several incidents that are tied to race relations since I moved here. I don't remember anywhere near this much racial tension when I lived in Minneapolis.

There was the incident at State Fair which lead to a Neo-Nazi rally in a suburb this weekend.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”