The Life of an almost-librarian

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

The Life of an almost-librarian

Postby Jayelle » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:21 am

I've posted before about my job, I figured I'd post more. Feel free to use this thread to ask questions about life in the library.

Now, without further ado, I bring you...

Things that you should not use as a bookmark in a library book(because you will forget about them and return the book)

1. Your Passport
2. Kleenex, used
3. Bills
4. Cheques
5. Photographs
6. Homework
7. Bandaids
8. Letters to loved ones
9. Cigarettes
10. Lettuce Leaves
11. Money (actually, leave that in the books, cause I get to keep it)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:53 am

a new Bandaid wouldn't be so bad, so I imagine this ban is for the... used ones...? Yuck.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:36 pm

I left my library card in a book before, and since I had reserved it from another location, it went back there. So, I had to sign up for a new card (or drive 30 minutes to go get it). It was kind of annoying because I hardly ever take my library card into the library because I had my number memorized and could check it out with that.

Fortunately I don't think I've left anything gross or embarrassing in library books.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Most people don't realize what a reference person is for. I sit behind a desk all day and wait for you to ask me questions. Sure I have other things to do (like, say, posting on pweb :P ), but my main function is to answer questions. People can ask anything. Seriously. My job is to be the human google.
A couple of days ago a woman called me to ask how to underline something in email. Good times. I haven't been doing this long enough to get any really bizaare questions, but I have gotten two of the "I need to do an email, but I don't want an email address."

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:29 pm

I'll admit, I generally assumed the reference person was there to help you find books that are in that library system.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:00 pm

I know what a reference librarian is/does, but I have to admit to never, ever using them. Thing is, I'm better at it than most librarians I meet. This stems largely from having actually worked in my university's library, and is also in part due to google being the grand equalizer.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:03 am

Wow, Ollie just totally slammed Jayelle, I don't think he even realised it either.

Quick Ollie, say how you're sure there are other things reference people do that are really difficult. And maybe give her chocolate, women like chocolate.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:07 pm

I've worked in various libraries in various positions before, but never in reference. My respect for those who do that job is ginormous. The things they are able to find absolutely boggle my mind. Seriously.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:15 pm

Hey Jan, can you find my missing socks?
The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:02 pm

The only time that I remember using the services of a reference desk (other than to ask them to purchase a book for the library) was about 12 years ago when my friend and I were arguing over whether it was the front or back legs of a male frog that were more muscular (in comparison to the female frog). That is one way to tell males from females in at least some frog species because the males use the legs to squeeze the eggs from the female and thus have muscular legs. I think I was wrong, at the time believing it to be the back legs and it is really the forelegs.

Poor librarian.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:52 pm

Wow, Ollie just totally slammed Jayelle, I don't think he even realised it either.

Quick Ollie, say how you're sure there are other things reference people do that are really difficult. And maybe give her chocolate, women like chocolate.
Unintended, surely. My apologies to Jayelle. I was merely personalizing, rather than generalizing. I'm confident that for many people, reference librarians are an incredibly helpful and under-utilized asset.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:36 pm

Unintended, surely. My apologies to Jayelle. I was merely personalizing, rather than generalizing. I'm confident that for many people, reference librarians are an incredibly helpful and under-utilized asset.
Meh. I'm not insulted. I just think the majority of people don't know how to use reference tools.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:23 pm

The librarian at my school library is scary. He gets mad easily. Once he took away the book my whole class was studying because it was tired and needed to rest. I think I'm developing a fear of librarians.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:47 pm

Yikes!

I would never want to work in a University library. I love the public library. Especially now that I work in Children's. I get to sit at my desk and fold paper cranes and cut snowflakes without anyone getting mad at me because it's my job!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:48 am

I would never want to work in a University library.
What's so bad about the University libraries? Perhaps you get a lot of students who just want librarians to do their work for them, or something?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:16 pm

Boring books. University libraries don't have much fiction or any children's, which are what I like.

Plus, students are annoying.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:13 am

Boring books. University libraries don't have much fiction or any children's, which are what I like.
I can understand that. Ours doesn't even have SftD! (Although it does have EG, Xenocide, and CotM, oddly.)
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:42 pm

Once he took away the book my whole class was studying because it was tired and needed to rest.
This made me smile!
Poor book...

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:19 pm

So this guy keeps coming in to ask me about gift ideas for his kids. That's great and all, but he immediately goes to the bookstore afterwards to buy them- going back and forth between me and the bookstore.
Why? Why not just ask the salespeople at the store?
Granted, it's Christmas and I'm sure they're busy... but our city has a McNally Robinson - a big awesome bookstore where the staff are well trained and have degrees in Lit. It's not like your average Chapters or whatnot.
I am up on what books we have in our library, but I don't know what the store has!

Silly man.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Maybe he just likes talking to you?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:36 am

So this guy keeps coming in to ask me about gift ideas for his kids. That's great and all, but he immediately goes to the bookstore afterwards to buy them- going back and forth between me and the bookstore.
Why? Why not just ask the salespeople at the store?
Granted, it's Christmas and I'm sure they're busy... but our city has a McNally Robinson - a big awesome bookstore where the staff are well trained and have degrees in Lit. It's not like your average Chapters or whatnot.
I am up on what books we have in our library, but I don't know what the store has!

Silly man.
Sweet Goodness, that's a great idea. Actually, I don't have access to helpful store workers (they're nice, but not knowledgeable), so maybe my reference librarian will do ;0

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:12 pm

A thought came to me as I went to check out a book from the University Library today. It's huge. Like... stunningly, monstrously, immensely huge, covering every subject in more languages that I knew existed.

How can a librarian possibly have ever a cursory knowledge of all the things that go in there? If a student, or anyone really, comes in and says, "I'm looking for a book on [insert random subject here]", how can a librarian do much more than point them to a general section, especially if the request is more specific than that?

I ask because, as I went into the library, the same librarian who gave me a reading list when I was looking for introductory stuff for string theory gave me a reading list when I was looking for war theory. This is the first time I've dealt with such a large-scale library, but is it normal for librarians to have such an in-depth knowledge of such a broad range of subjects?
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:21 pm

Yes, or at least, they are trained to be able to research things better then the average schmo. Don't forget - a (real) librarian has a Master's Degree.
A librarian knows where and how to find things in a library and in databases, it's their job to do so. So, they can point you in the correct section, then look up more things on that subject, etc.
Of course, the one you talked to might know particularly well about the things you asked about because of personal interest... just like I have a tendency to recommend the comic "Bone" to anyone with a tiny interest in the Graphic Novel section.

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Totoro To-to-ro

Postby shadow-petra » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Hey! I work at my library too!!!! Except I can't really say I'm a librarian cuz I only shelve the books and help people find books...and the bathroom. It's the biggest question I get. Yeah, to answer Janus's question, I have most of the sections memorized.

I haven't found money in the books, but I have found pokemon cards

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:15 pm

Wow. They let you tell people where things are? When I was a page, the answer to everything was "Ask the people at the Reference Desk".

"Excuse me, where is the bathroom?"
"Ask the people at the Reference Desk." :P

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadow-petra » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:02 pm

Really?? That's what you tell them? I can't do that. They all have such urgency in there faces. It's not like "excuse me, could you please tell me where the bathroom is?" It's like "WHERE"S THE BATHROOM??? TELL ME NOW!"

That's what my job position is called? I'm a page?

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:43 pm

It's a joke. We would actually tell them where the bathroom was.

Most places call them pages, but it depends on what your library calls them.

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadow-petra » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:30 pm

I have no clue...I'm doing the same thing I was as a volunteer, which I think is really really weird.

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:05 pm

*bump*

When I heard this story I just thought of you Jayelle.

I am sure there are a few patrons who you wish this would happen to. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Rereading this thread made me super-angry:
Of course, the one you talked to might know particularly well about the things you asked about because of personal interest... just like I have a tendency to recommend the comic "Bone" to anyone with a tiny interest in the Graphic Novel section.
No one who looks through my graphic novel collection recognizes Bone. I did, before even being into reading comics outside of Foxtrot! What the heck?

As for the arrested woman, I can't really blame her for keeping the books after paying for them, but obviously she should have returned them. The Meridian Public Library still hasn't gotten around to arresting my brother for his unreturned book, but I imagine they care less about The Joy of Pickling than Angels and Demons.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Rereading this thread made me super-angry:
I guess I should apologize for making you angry :)

And I guess Jayelle will not be reading this thread for a while. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:27 pm

Back when my library left cards in their books when people checked them out, I stumbled upon a book with its card left in there and took it to the front desk. They had to check in it because it was on the bookshelf still checked out to the poor bastard. He may have done it himself or it was a librarian error, but I'm pretty sure I may have saved the guy some money by doing that.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:12 am

*bump*

When I heard this story I just thought of you Jayelle.

I am sure there are a few patrons who you wish this would happen to. :)
Yeah, I read about that. I like our way - we send a collection agency after them if fines are too high and they refuse to pay.
People need to realize they sign a contract when they get a library card.

And Mich: why does me recommending Bone make you angry?

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:57 am

No one who looks through my graphic novel collection recognizes Bone. I did, before even being into reading comics outside of Foxtrot! What the heck?
Apparently I wasn't clear who I was angry at: people who don't recognize Bone. You made me a little happy that you actually knew what it was, but then I remembered all of the times that I'm talking to someone who, gosh darnit, should, and they don't!

Make more sense?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:17 pm

Ah. That makes more sense. I recommend it to young kids (8-9 yr. olds) in hopes that it will get them into better graphic novels as they grow up, instead of them reading the crap graphic novelizations of tv shows *shudder*.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”